Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 481 to 500 of 8,906

RR529

1922 (Netflix Original) - One of two films I've watched for Halloween. Based on a Steven King novella of the same name, it sees the collapse of a farmer's life over the course of a year (1922), and as you can expect, things get a bit supernatural during the second half, after he performs an unspeakable act. It's a bit slow, but it can get quite disturbing, and I felt it succeeded in doing what it set out to do.

the Babysitter (Netflix Original) - the other film I've watched for Halloween. A dark comedy that sees a boy hunted down by his babysitter and her friends, after he discovers them performing a satanic ritual. It wasn't anything particularly special, but it was decent enough.

Boogie Nights (Netflix) - Watched this a couple Saturdays ago. It follows the rise and fall of a group of people involved in the adult film industry in the 70's & 80's. I can't say it's something I'd ever want to add to my collection, but it managed to completely hold my attention for it's two and a half hour runtime, so it must of did something right.

Gantz: 0 (Netflix) - Anime film where a youth named Kato, after being murdered, finds himself revived and forced to compete in a brutal life and death game fighting against rampaging monsters with a group of others in the same situation. It gets really bloody, but it's definitely worth a watch if you want some action. A lot of the worldbuilding is left unexplained (apparently the film is just a remake of a specific story arc in a longer running series), but if you just roll with it, it's a good time.

Miss Hokusai (Netflix) - Anime film that follows the daughter of famed artist Hokusai. While there are a few story threads that run through it, it's told through a series of mostly unrelated anecdotes. It's a bit on the slow side, but worth a watch if you like this sort of thing. The English option on Netflix is a bit lacking, though (no dub, only a closed captioned version of the sub, and for some reason they decided to not translate the few text blurbs at the end of the film that I assume describe the real life people).

Wonder Woman (DVD) - I'm getting a little tired of superhero stuff, but this was still a great time. I liked how they spent the time they needed to flesh out the character, and the action was pretty great.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

WanderingBullet

Found a very short Monster Hunter movie test footage:

Not a fan of the idea of the movie taking place in the real world, though.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

WanderingBullet

Just watched Justice League and thought it was okay. Nothing really special with another throwaway villain that's gonna destroy the world scenario. It's definitely better than BvS and Suicide Squad, though. I actually quite like Jason Mamoa as Aquaman. Didn't like Flash's costume and he had some hit and miss one liners. My favourite parts were Wonder Woman protecting the hostages scene followed by Aquaman air surfing one of the Parademons scene. Nothing else from the movie really stood out.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Th3solution

@WanderingBullet I just saw Justice League as well. I can pretty much agree with your assessment. With the exception that I liked BvS about the same. This was on par with it. WB is so trying to be like Disney/Marvel, and yet trying to put their own spin on it, making it a bit darker, but trying to add humor. It worked mostly but fell flat at times. I liked Thor Ragnarok better. Yes, Wonder Woman was the best character, the most developed and interesting with the best fight scenes, esp the hostage one. She seems more relatable perhaps because she (besides Superman) is the only one to have had her own movie. But Flash is DC’s version of Spider-Man (wide eyed incompetent kid with powers trying to fit in and just cracking jokes all the time), Aquaman is their Thor, Cyborg is their Ironman, etc. I realize DC had their characters first in the comics, but the copying of the MCU cinematic plots and characters is kinda obvious
But the thing I wanted to mention was more about the trailers before the movie. Of the 5 trailers, 3 were video game related! (Ready, Player One; Jumanji; and Tomb Raider - all directly have video game tie-ins) I was just really amazed at how gaming has become so central to media and entertainment. And the other two trailers were The Last Jedi and Pacific Rim ... not directly gaming but looked pretty awesome nonetheless. The geek culture is taking over the cinema. Yay! 😊

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

WanderingBullet

@Th3solution Yeah, that's because DC's currently playing catch up to Marvel. There's a rumour Jake Gyllenhaal might be the next Batman.

Same here, they showed trailers for both Jumanji and Tomb Raider. Plus I also saw the Rampage's (based on a very old video game) trailer on Youtube yesterday. Man, The Rock's in so many movies.

Th3solution

@WanderingBullet I know - kind of sick of The Rock. And I don’t mind “Batfleck” but liked Christian Bale’s rendition better, personally. Affleck is starting to look a little old for the role. Batman already doesn’t have any superpowers, so if he looks a little tubby, slow, and grey, then it really stands out against Gadot, Miller, Momoa, and Fisher with their youth, lean and muscular physiques and more supercharged characters. Not particularly sold on Gyllenhaal either way.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

WanderingBullet

@Th3solution I think they were trying to make him look like Frank Miller's Batman. His version of Batman was pretty bulky, older and had a grizzled look too.

http://www.dccomics.com/sites/default/files/imce/2014/07-JUL/...

On the plus side, at least he moves more like in the comics. That warehouse fight scene in BvS was great. Personally, I think Gyllenhaal looks too dorky to play Batman.lol

Anyways, DC has only one movie slated for 2018 which is Aquaman while Marvel has at least five.

Th3solution

@WanderingBullet omg, forgive my ignorance about the comics, but is Robin a female in the Frank Miller series?! That pic looks like Robin is a girl. 🤨

Th3solution

@WanderingBullet okay ... I feel stupid now. How did I not know there was a girl Robin? Guess I’m out of touch.

WanderingBullet

@Th3solution Nah, you're good. I was surprised as well when I saw the comic cover and animation.

Oh yeah, was it just me but did you too noticed that Flash sometimes ran funny in the movie? Almost like he was on roller skates and his arms were playing yo-yos. Someone posted on IGN said he ran like a basilisk lizard on water.lol

Th3solution

@WanderingBullet Hmm ... with regard to Flash — I didn’t notice at the time, but now that you mention, yeah he did look a little odd when he was running, like he was on ice skates or something. I also agree there was something off about his costume too. For the most part I liked his character and although he was pretty heavy on the constant attempts at humor, as well as like I said I just kept thinking “Peter Parker wannabe” for his character, I did laugh most of the time. I also found myself also comparing him to Quick Silver from the last 2 X-men movies, where I thought they nailed the superhuman speed scenes. Flash’s scenes fell short of those. I haven’t watched any of the Flash TV show — have you? I wonder how it compares and if fans of the show will be put off by the movie rendition

WanderingBullet

@Th3solution Agreed. The X-Men's Quicksilver scenes were awesome because they had unique take on how they were going to present his powers to the viewers. For me, he had the best scenes in both movies. With the Flash's costume, I think maybe there's too much going on. Also, the lines looked like wires that were holding this costume together. I liked the first season of the Flash tv series and the second was pretty good as well. That being said, the series became pretty predictable. Pretty much on every episode, it was a new villain appears, villain gets away, Flash's scientist friends comes up with a solution to defeat the villain. I mean the lab is so advance that his friends can invent or create anything the plot requires. I stopped watching midway through Season 3 and I haven't been following it since. Oh, if I had to choose between the tv or movie version, I think I'd still choose the movie version but only because I like my Flash to be funny.lol

Not sure if you're interested but DC actually has quite a number of good animations, both tv and movies. I highly recommend:

TV:

• Justice League (Season 1 + 2)
  • Justice League Unlimited (Season 1 + 2)
  • Young Justice (Season 1 + 2)

Movies:

• Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
  • Justice League: The New Frontier
  • Justice League: War
  • Justice League: Doom
  • Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
  • Batman: Under the Redhood
  • Batman vs. Robin
  • Son of Batman
  • Batman: Bad Blood
  • Superman/Batman: Public Enemies

Just to name a few.

WanderingBullet

Another movie I'm looking forward to watching in 2018 is SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE.

Really liking the art direction.

Tasuki

@Th3solution From what I have read alot of the fans of the Flash tv show were quite upset that they didn't use the actor from the tv series for the movie. I know they want to keep the movie universe and Arrowverse seperate but it also didn't help when Zac Snyder made a comment about the guy who plays the Flash and upsetted alot of the tv show fans.

I enjoy The Flash tv series it's probably my favorite Arrowverse show along with Legends of Tomorrow. The DC Movies however I have no interest in seeing them especially since how much of a train wreck they are.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Th3solution

Watched The Force Awakens (again) tonight to prep for The Last Jedi. It’s almost just as fun watching it for like the 5th time now. That Millennium Falcon chase scene on Jakku is just epic. And the cliffhanger ending is great.
Anyone hyped for The Last Jedi this week? Got your tickets?

WanderingBullet

Can't say that I'm a Star Wars fan but I'll be going to the cinemas either this or next week to watch The Last Jedi.

FullbringIchigo

@Th3solution i'm hyped but i'm not going to watch it in the cinema, not only does my crappy little town not have one currently (it's being rebuilt) but the nearest one is about 30 miles away and i don't have any personal transport and with the country covered in a light dusting snow, the UK has of course come to a standstill so i can't rely on public transport over the holidays

i'll just be waiting for the DVD/blu-ray to be released

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Th3solution

@FullbringIchigo Wow, it really is a small isolated town if there’s no cinema within 30 miles. 😯
I don’t really to go the cinema often due to the cost of it becoming so high. Given that you can wait a couple months and then own the movie on Blu Ray and watch it an unlimited number of times for the same price of (or cheaper than) buying 2 tickets, I opt to wait on a lot of movies also. There is something special about the big screen and the atmosphere of the cinema, so there are some shows that I am willing to pay the high ticket price for the experience and Star Wars would be one of those. I’m especially hoping for an active crowd there, with cheers and boos and the electricity of opening weekend. Hopefully I’ll see some real ultra-fans dressed up in their SW constumes 😅

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic