Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 3,821 to 3,840 of 8,930

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Jungle Book is probably my favourite out of the live action remakes that I've seen (and I've not seen them all). The original was never a favourite of mine though, but I did prefer Mowgli as I thought it had the better story and characters. The effects were much better in Jungle Book with the financial muscle of the big D behind it.

@Th3solution It is something that i plan to revisit later in the year, but I'm in no rush to sign up as I have plenty to watch on Netflix and Amazon Prime. I think there were a few shows which I heard about when D+ was first annouced which had me mildly interested. Not sure whether anything has been delayed because of COVID-19.

Plus The Mandalorian is only up to episode 5 so far in the UK and I've just finished the fourth one but only got a couple of days left on my trial.

Good point about the content being a permanent fixture, I never thought of that.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

kyleforrester87

A Quite Place - enjoyed it, didn’t seem very long for some reason and didn’t think it would go the way it did. Liked the monsters actually, was worried they would be a bit too cheap looking. Looking forward to where they go with the second one.

Freehold (Two Pigeons) - watched this one afterwards, very weird film about a wide boy estate agent and some weird “thing” living his is flat, messing with him. Watch it!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

kyleforrester87

@LN78 yeah that would of made more sense than my idea to set up a permitter of speakers with a 2 mile radius, get them playing nonestop drum and bass and live in the middle.

kyleforrester87

nessisonett

I watched Eraserhead again. It’s still one of my favourite movies, bonkers, somewhat terrifying and strangely heartwarming all in one. It’s such a shame about Jack Nance, he was a superb actor and I would have loved to see him return for the Twin Peaks revival.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Oh, er... right, given your comments about Disney and Pixar plots lacking originality, then definitely adjust your expectations for The Good Dinosaur (especially since some of the praise you noted seeing before might've come from me). I know what you mean, and agree with you; I guess sometimes, a repetitive or cliché story can still be made worthwhile by its execution, and that's why I enjoyed The Good Dinosaur so much, despite it basically being a remake of a dozen other Disney flicks. It was charming and inoffensive, and had heart, but it was most certainly not original.

The current situation has definitely given Onward a break, though, and allowed it to maybe make Disney a bit more money than it might've done otherwise. Sonic had been out two weeks before it, and yet still beat it at the box office on its opening weekend. I think it's working better as a "see the latest Pixar film early" enticement for Disney+ subscriptions during the lockdown. Will give it a look-see!

@JohnnyShoulder I will make sure The Jungle Book is added to whatever Disney+ call their watchlist; only this time, I'll also make sure to get around to it. Thanks!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@Th3solution @RogerRoger I don’t think I’ve actually enjoyed a Pixar movie since Inside Out. I wasn’t a fan of Coco, Finding Dory or Incredibles 2. I find it strange that a company who released hugely original, nuanced stories just seemed to fall a bit flat after Toy Story 3. Wall-E and Ratatouille are two of my favourite movies, never mind Pixar movies and I’d rather they didn’t try making a sequel to either of them and just leave them alone.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett I refuse to watch Coco as it seems they just ripped off The Book of Life from a few years ago.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett There's a definite sense of magic that's been lost of late, agreed. I'm so nervous about watching Toy Story 4 because I was already worried a third would be unnecessary, but they made it end so gosh-darn well... to the point where going on another adventure feels like a bit of a paycheque rather than a warranted way to spend two hours. I still got the Blu-Ray, mind, so it's been sitting on my shelf for a couple months now, gathering dust and getting nothing but fearful frowns from me.

Finding Dory was worth it for "Hello, I'm Sigourney Weaver!" and nothing else.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

kyleforrester87

Just watched VFW, that was pretty gnarly. It had William Sadler in it too, which was pretty neat.

kyleforrester87

JohnnyShoulder

Watched Suspiria last night on Amazon Prime. Man it's f'd up. It's a re-imagining of a 70's film which I've never heard of. But do not confuse this with a lazy cash grab remake. At 2 hours 30 mins it's a long film, and it is a slow burn in places especially in the middle section. It is set in 1977 in Berlin and uses real life events as a bit of background for the story, unfortunately I did feel it added much apart from being used to explain why a girl went missing. There are some really horrific scenes mixed together with a haunting soundtrack from Thom Yorke from Radiohead.

The cast are excellent, especially Dakota Johnson and Tilda Swinton who actually played 3 roles in the film. I genuinely did not know this before I watched the film and so glad I was not aware of this.

It a fascinating, if not an easy watch, and found I was glued to the screen for the most part. If you enjoyed Midsommar, you will probably enjoy this, but it is less well crafted.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Suspiria is a brilliant movie. I probably prefer the original Argento movie but they’re both great. Dakota Johnson’s underrated as an actress because of the 50 Shades movies.

Tjuz

@kyleforrester87 Happy to see you enjoyed A Quiet Place! I don't love it as much as most, but Emily Blunt was totally snubbed for an Oscar nomination for that film. Really well made and I'm a bit depressed about the fact that the sequel got delayed!

@JohnnyShoulder I just watched Suspiria a few weeks ago and completely agree with what you've said. It's an incredible piece of film that I certainly won't forget any time soon. I'd personally say it was miles better than Midsommar, but to each their own!

Tjuz

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 @nessisonett @Tjuz I've just watched a few bits (no pun intended) YouTube and Tilda Swinton wore a prothestic penis the whole time she was playing the male doctor, just just for when he was nude at the end. I love hearing about when actors go above and beyond what is required for their role

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Yeah seen those. Don't remember too much about MC but WNTAK stays long in the memory. She is one of those actors that even in bad films she manages to rise above it and put in stellar performances. You seen Snowpiercer? She is brilliant in that, hilarious at times. It was directed by the same bloke that did Parasite, Bong Joon-ho. Only recently realised that he also directed the excellent The Host. One of his other films, Okja is on Netflix. Which stars Tilda Swinton!

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Is it anything like his performance in Velvet Buzzsaw? I really like JG but he can sometimes be a bit OTT in the old acting department, especially with his eyes. Nightcrawler is a near perfect performance you can get imo.

Be interesting to hear your thoughts on Snowpiercer. I though it was a little but over hyped and all over the place, but still a good watch. Think it would be worth a repeated watch.

nessisonett

@LN78 Prince of Persia is so bad that I love it. It’s a bit like the original Pirates, it’s not trying too hard and it’s really hokey but it’s good fun. I grew up dying to Sands of Time though so it was a total nostalgia hit for me. They even use the same music when he uses the dagger to go back in time! It’s terrible yes but I like it. Plus poor Toby Kebbell needs a break, he’s in literally every flop ever despite being a decent actor including being in my favourite Black Mirror episode, ‘The Entire History of You’.

nessisonett

@LN78 Don’t forget “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice”! 😂😂😂

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Yeah Ass Creed is well, a bit ass. Kebbell was also good in the Apes films, he was just overshadowed by Andy Serkis. But I'll add in Wrath of the Titans to the list of flops he has been in @nessisonett.

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Halle Berry after she won her Oscar.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic