Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 3,841 to 3,860 of 8,930

Th3solution

@LN78 @JohnnyShoulder Funny thing is that there is a group of actors with the opposite luck — they’re mediocre at best in their craft but they seem to have the Midas touch in that their films always seem to be big hits in spite of their poor acting.
Nicholas Cage, Keanu Reeves, Dwayne Johnson, and Samuel L. Jackson come to mind. This is just my opinion but I don’t understand why some of these guys keep getting top billing on multi-million dollar movies.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Nicholas Cage allure has long past, most of his films are straight to streaming these days. While there is nothing wrong with that, he hasn't appeared as the main star in a big hitter for ages now.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Mandy and Color out of Space are both brilliant so Nic Cage probably sits better in a space outside the mainstream.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett Really need to get to Mandy, considering how wild Color Out of Space was.

Agreed on Nic Cage. The man's... talents... jive well with B-movies.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah I guess you’re right. It just seems like he’s in everything, lol - but I must just have a prejudice against him. His voice is ‘nails on a chalkboard’ to my ears. I liked him at Spider-Man Noir though. 😂

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution Woah what? Nic Cage is a legend 😂😂 Please watch Face/Off, it’s an incredible action movie and him at his best!

nessisonett

@LN78 I honestly couldn’t answer that. “Put the bunny back in the box” is simultaneously one of the best and worst lines ever delivered on screen.

Th3solution

@LN78 Haha! I know, that is unfortunately the Nic Cage I will always think in my mind are those 3 - Con-Air, Wicker Man, and Raising Arizona. So when I see National Treasure I think to myself, “this would have been a good movie if they had someone else in the lead role” 😅

Th3solution

@nessisonett I don’t think I ever saw Face Off, but it looks suspiciously like a cheesy 90’s flick.

nessisonett

@Th3solution It’s John Travolta and Nic Cage at their primes, hamming it up with brilliant John Woo action. Yeah it’s cheesy but it’s an absolute blast from start to finish.

Th3solution

@LN78 Yeah Nic Cage’s “Raising Arizona” is Keanu Reeves’s “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure”, and Samuel L. Jackson’s “Pulp Fiction” — roles that seemed to make a nice fit for their personality and really put them on the map, but most every other role they do seems to be a parody. I mean, I love many of Samuel L Jackson’s movies, but is there a difference between his Jules Winnfield, his Elijah Price, his Nick Fury, and his Mace Windu? They are kind of the same guy each time.
And The Rock ... Yeah, I avoid most of his movies but based on trailers, they all look like the same character.

Edited on by Th3solution

Th3solution

@LN78 Yeah Cruise definitely came to mind too, among others. Sometimes they’re type-cast on purpose, and sometimes they are cast in diverse roles that they end up playing the same way they always do regardless of the script.

JohnnyShoulder

Uncut Gems - Adam Sandler's best acting role yet and a fantastic supporting cast, but I found the whole film really annoying and anxiety inducing. It is full of really unlikable characters who I didn't really care for any of them. That is what the directors were going for but I did not enjoy the experience at all. If you saw their previous film Good Time with Robert Pattinson, you know what to expect but Uncut Gems takes it to the next level.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

sakurajima1981

Just watched Midsommer on Amazon Prime.
Loved it!

sakurajima1981

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 I did almost turn it off but there was only 20 mins left so thought might as well stick it out.

andreoni79

Did you know? We were kids when we watched a naked butt back in the '80s and now we are lecherous filthy men. Fortunately, Disney+ is saving our kids!
Untitled
Untitled

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

nessisonett

@andreoni79 ...that does not look natural in the slightest. I knew she was a mermaid, I didn’t realise she was half-Bigfoot!

Th3solution

I continued my own journey through Disney+ and specifically to watch all the live action remakes that I was pushed away from by poor critical and fan reception when they released. This time is was Aladdin.

And I’ll try to spare everyone the details of a full review, but I was definitely pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a train wreck and the first 15-20 minutes I thought I was getting it. Then about a third of the way through (right about when Genie shows up) it became really enjoyable.

It’s a strange movie by Disney standards though. There are times when the production seems a bit ‘B-movie’ and times when the editing and effects are subpar. The acting is quite weak, with the exception of Will Smith. The magic carpet and Abu are definitely the most endearing characters. But somehow... I really, really enjoyed it.
The music was great and choreography was sharp; the leads were clearly chosen for their singing voices rather than their acting skills. Well - that, and their looks. Man, I don’t remember the last time I’ve seen a more attractive set of leads. Nevertheless, watching Aladdin and Jasmine bumble through their roles was great fun, even if it seemed like it was basically akin to watching a GQ model and a Vogue model play dress up and perform for a weekend children’s community theater. But Will Smith really shined. He single-handedly pulled the show together imo.

I said I wouldn’t go on too long, so I’ll leave it at that. But whether it was because of dampened expectations or legitimate Disney magic, either way, I finished off the show unexpectedly with a big cheeseball grin on my face, humming “A Friend Like Me.” And that’s really all I want out of a Disney musical.

Edited on by Th3solution

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I found some of the musical numbers a bit strange in Aladdin, like they were sped up? My main gripe with the film is that it loses what made the original such a joy to watch, in Robin Williams ability to improv most of his lines. I did not get that feeling with Will Smith who did ok, but no way near that level of his predecessor. And most of the characters were a bit dull, with only Jasmine feeling a bit more fleshed out. Again not a bad film and like all the other live action remakes, just one that I feel did not needed to be made as the original is so much better. Of course Disney are going to continue making them as it is almost like printing money for them.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic