Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 161 to 180 of 8,935

WanderingBullet

Just watched Batman v. Superman, and I'd thought that it was even worst than Man of Steel. The only thing I liked was the fight scene where Batman goes to save Martha Kent.
Not a fan of Ben Affleck but I thought both him and Gal Gadot did a decent job portraying both Batman and Wonder Woman respectively. To be honest, I didn't like the idea of Jesse Eisenberg being cast as Lex Luthor when I first read about it so it wasn't surprising to me that his version of Lex Luthor was a nerdy and at times pretty annoying villain.
The way Doomday was created in the movie was pretty dumb as well. Oh, and then there's also that weird dream sequence that had insect soldiers and Wallace in a tech suit.
On the plus side, I really like that we finally got a Batman that moves and fights a bit more like he does in the comics/animations. Hopefully, we'll see more of this in his solo movie.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

usb

Looks like Human Traffic iwhich is one of my favourite movies of the 90's is getting a sequel. Not sure how it will work out being as the actors are now in theor 40's but hopefully it will be good.

Gping to watch Batman vs Superman tomorrow. I liked the first half of Man of Steel the 2nd half tailed off a bit though. Looking forward to seeing Afllecks take on Batman not sure any actor has really nailed the role yet although Bale did a hald decent job.

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

RR529

I've seen two movies since I've last posted...

Marvel's Ant-Man (DVD) - This was an absolutely wonderful time. It exuded fun from beginning to end, with some great action, and plenty of laughs (nice effects as well). I'd say it's up there with Sin City as the best movie I've seen so far this year.

Son of Batman (Netflix) - This was another one of those animated DC films (the last one Netflix has, I think), and it was my favorite one yet. I thought it was animated quite well, it had good action throughout, and Damien was an absolute hoot. Oh, and it had lots & lots of ninjas!

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

WanderingBullet

@dryrain: I thought the last one was average. My favorites are still Lost Ark and Last Crusade.

Victor_Meldrew

@Anchorsam_9: clover lane was decent but I felt the bunker didn't feel claustrophobic enough, it didn't make enough use of the lack of space, very much a mish mash of horror,Sci fi, thriller. It doesn't take John Goodman much to appear creepy, he's always excellent.
@RR529: Ant Man is absolutely excellent and I'd recommend it to anyone that isn't a miserable sod.
@WanderingBullet: I quite enjoyed Batman Vs Superman, it was kinda a throw away action movie all geared to setting up a more interesting sequel, it's definitely not great but it's also definitely not crap, I'd put it along side wolverine 2 in terms of entertainment value, the future sequence dream thing looked far more interesting, just like the xmen future in days of future past.

Victor_Meldrew

Victor_Meldrew

I also watched the completely average Divergent Alegiant over the weekend, it's nowhere near as bad as critics are claiming, Jeff Daniels 'performance' though is hilariously pathetic and oh so one dimensional, there are a few other poor actors in it too, the casting for this film series is pretty appalling. That's the main problem in my eyes.

Victor_Meldrew

WanderingBullet

@Bad-MuthaAdebisi: I actually preferred Man of Steel in terms both of story and villain. I give MoS a 5.5/10 and 4.5/10 for BvS. :/ Yeah, what's the deal Bruce Wayne having that vision, is he like a prophet, now? lol Plus, the insect soldiers were actually parademons and that guy in futuristic suit was actually the Flash as I've just found out a few days ago. I initially thought he was the guy who lost his legs. I didn't recalled seeing those tentacle thingies in the spaceship in MoS either. That scene of how Doomday got created was weird and kinda dumb. I'm surprised Christopher Nolan didn't use the voice modulator in his series. Back then, I was always telling my friend Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne could've used something similar. As much as I've enjoyed the movies, his boogieman voice just didn't work for me. lol
I don't think there's gonna be a sequel unless you're referring to the Justice League movie. Not sure when's the Batman solo movie's coming out but the Wonder Woman movie's slated for 2017.
Anyways, I hope Suicide Squad is better than BvS.

usb

Antman I watched the first hour then read a book whilst the rest of the movie was on did not grab me.

Really enjoyed Batman vs Superman its the version of Batman I have been waiting for. I always thought Christian Bale held back. Ben Affleck for me does a better job. Lex Luther was well cast. The movie sets up the a raft of other super heroes as well. I would give the movie a solid 9. I enjoyed more than the the last few Marvel movies.

usb

RR529

Man, I always think just how interesting it is to see how different the general consensus around here of a particular movie (or show) is the polar opposite of whatever it is on the Nintendo Life forums.

While I've noticed the users here seem to be more receptive to BvS, the users there seem to despise it (though most are die hard comic book fans. Not sure the case around here). The general complaints being that it was poorly edited, with a bland first half, Batman being out of character (kills & uses guns being the big ones), and it being a colorless, joyless way for todays youth to be introduced to the heroes.

I haven't yet seen it myself, though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

WanderingBullet

@Bad-MuthaAdebisi: lol

@RR529 I rarely visit Nintendo Life's site and I wouldn't say the movie was joyless but overall I do agree with the things you've mention posted over there. There's also that awful decision (without spoiling it) they've made with Jimmy Olsen in the movie.
Apparently, the DVD/Blu-ray release will include an additional 30 minutes worth of deleted scenes. Hopefully, those would explain some of the plot holes better in the movie.

@Bad-MuthaAdebisi: @3:02 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwcJjE_61XE

WanderingBullet

Planning to go watch Jungle Book this week. Except for King Louie's size, I liked what I've seen so far in the trailers.

RR529

I've seen quite a few movies since my last post.

Batman: the Dark Knight Returns (VUDU) - animated film about an older Batman returning to the streets after a 10 year absence. He faces off against a number of foes, and other than the fact I thought the Mutant leader was kind of lame, it was a good time. Oh, and it had Reagan in it, which is always a plus.

The Last Samurai (DVD) - As I mentioned a couple months ago, I bought it on Amazon, and finally got around to watching it last Saturday. Great as always.

E.T.: the Extra-Terrestrial (Netflix) - Because I've never seen it in full (or if I have, it's been so long I can't remember). That trademark Spielberg vibe gives it some charm to be sure, and although it had it's moments (like when Eliot got drunk through his connection to ET), overall I thought it was very, very boring. I guess this one you just had to be there for (I liked looking at all the 80's stuff, though).

Also, I haven't watched it yet, but a relative gave me a digital copy of the Hateful Eight, since they have no way of using it (it came with their DVD copy, but they don't have internet).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Last night I watched American Pie: the Naked Mile (Netflix).

I figured I'd give this spin-off a try, because there isn't anything else on Netflix I'm really interested in watching (in terms of stuff I haven't seen), and because I enjoyed the main series films well enough.

It's a raunchy adult comedy, and while I've seen worse in the genre, I've also seen better (including the main American Pie films). Unless you're desperate for a comedy of this type, I'd say it's a pass (I felt it was TOO raunchy at times, even comparing it to some of the stuff that happens in the main films).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

usb

ET Was the first movie I watched at the cinema and I cried so hard my mother nearly took me out of the cinema. Even now it can bring a tear to my eye. I like the way it is filmed not many films have been filmed at the eye level of the main charcter which is clever. I guess growing up with the movie gives me a different persceptive to someone who did not grow up in the samre era.

Watched Pixels at the weekend was expecting a bad movie after the critics slammed it but I am an Adam Sandler fan and I like the movie game genre. I enjoyed the movie and the references to the video games of the 80's. Its not one of Sandlers best but I did like it.

usb

RR529

Last night I watched Star Trek: the Motion Picture (Netflix)!

As a note, I'm not a big Star Trek fan. That's not to say I dislike it, it's just that I have a limited experience with it (the occasional The Next Generation & Voyager rerun, as well as the two newest films).

Now to the film itself. The general plot was interesting & I really liked the twist at the end, but I felt it was very slow (to the point of being dull) at times, and I couldn't get into the costume & interior set design (to be fair, this is a general feeling I have towards most 60's & 70's sci-fi design).

Still, it was a decent enough start, so I'll slowly make my way through the others (I think Netflix has them all except for the 2009 Star Trek).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

I saw a couple of films since my last post.

The Minions Movie (DVD) - Saw this as a family a few nights ago. Kinda cute with a few laughs, but like most other Sony Animation (& even Dreamworks, TBH) films, it's nothing all that special.

Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan (Netflix) - Much, much better paced than the first film. It's methodological, but stays interesting. I wasn't sure how much I was into it, then at the end when they snuck up on the Reliant & ripped Khan a new one, I had a huge grin on my face. The only thing was the end of film sacrifice lost most of it's impact just based on the knowledge that future films with said character exist (I'm sure it was mindblowing at the time). Also, with the jump into the 80's saw an improvement in costume & set design, IMO (actual computer screens with digital diagrams!).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

WanderingBullet

Watched Captain America: Civil War and thought it pretty good. While Spidey's suit was okay (not great), I thought Tom Holland was really good it in every scene he was in. Black Panther's suit on the other hand was awesome, makes me wonder if they could make Batman's mask with lenses covering his eyes instead. The main negative for me in the movie was the underwhelming villain. It doesn't have the best story either compared to the (first) Avengers movie or Winter Soldier but the action scenes were amazing and certainly the best I've seen so far in a superheroes movie. If you're a comic book fan, the airport battle scene alone is worth going to the theaters to watch the movie.
Oh yeah, there's also Ant-Man turning into a giant which I wasn't expecting them to do during the airport scene but only because I thought it could be saved for a possible sequel. Not that I'm complaining, though as it made that scene even more epic!

usb

Not a fan with Tom Holland being cast a spidey or antman but will probably give the movie a go. How much is Tom Holland in it? The films been getting decent reviews.

Wasted 2 hours of my life watching Mission Impossible Rogue nation I can never get that time back

usb

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic