Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 8,930

usb

Not sure about 10 Years Reunion but I liked Prometheus. The world would be boring if we all liked the same things.

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

usb

Has anyone watched The Assassin? Movie looks good but will have to wait till its on bluray as my local cinema is not showing it.

usb

RR529

I find myself jealous when someone lists some big budget blockbuster (such as the Transformers films, as an example) as the "worst film ever". Underwhelming? sure. Mediocre? sure. However, until you've delved into some of the low budget B-Movies Netflix has in their catalogue, you truly don't know what awful is.

I think the King of Fighters & Lady Ninja Kaede 2 are some of the worst films I've ever seen (watched both on Netflix).

The former is absolutely the worst video game adaptation ever, which is saying something. It looks like it has the budget of a fan film (even lower sometimes), Mai & Terry are both CIA agents of all things (wearing the standard suit & tie most of the time), the fighters are teleported to an alternate realm whenever it's time to fight (with "fantastic" locations that mostly consist of abandoned warehouses & run down alleyways), and at one point Rugal even dresses up like a hockey player & his "fighting style" is that of a dirty hockey player. That's just some of the things they get wrong.

the latter? A Japanese film, it's pretty much thinly veiled p**n (very low budget & badly acted) that somehow slipped passed Netflix's system. At times it's very akward, and oh, it's filtered to make it look like you're watching it on an old VHS tape...

If you want to offend all of your senses, I believe both are still on Netflix (the U.S. version, anyhow).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Jaz007

@RR529: @themcnoisy: If you guys want to be traumatized by a bad movie, watch Birdemic. That is, without a doubt, the worst movie ever made. You will see at least some talent in every other movie you have and will see if you compare it to Birdemic. I'd recommend the rifftrax version (they make fun of movies) to make it bearable though. I'm being completely serious about everything I just said too.

Jaz007

RR529

Tonight I watched Songs From the North (Netflix).

It's a documentary that gives a glimpse of what life is like inside North Korea. It doesn't have much in the way of commentary, rather, it mixes in footage of North Korean propagandist films/performances, with footage of the everyday people on the street (who understandibly don't feel like doing much talking, or are even nervous about the very prospect of being recorded).

It has a 1 star rating on Netflix, and I'm not exactly sure why. While not the most exciting thing, it does what it set out to do which is to give the best glimpse it can into the daily lives of ordinary North Koreans, and the mythlike propaganda they're bombarded with 24/7. I gave it 3 stars.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

usb

Just watched Mad Max Fury Road so glad i did not go to the cinema to watch it. That was a long two hours give it 4/10.

usb

WanderingBullet

@dryrain: Same here, I thought that movie was highly overrated but its not as bad as the other movie Tom Hardy was in though - Locke. I think he's an amazing actor but watching that movie (Locke) was like watching paint dry. -_-

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

RR529

Watched Charlie's Angels (Netflix) tonight.

Not a fantastic movie by any means, but I did find myself casually enjoying it. Not something I'd ever buy, but a great example of a 3/5 film.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

WanderingBullet

@dryrain: Oh, I didn't know about Special Victims Unit. I think he said that Ip Man 3 was his first action movie and in it he had a fight scene with Ip Man. Personally, the third movie was my least favorite mainly because of the story and I felt that casting of Mike Tyson was just a gimmick to get people to watch the movie.

Also, have you watched Chocolate (2008 Thai movie)? The fight scenes and especially the stunts were amazing. If you're willing to look pass both the story and acting its definitely worth a watch if you like martial arts movies.

RR529

@WanderingBullet, I can't wait until Netflix gets IP Man 3! They have the other 4 (1, 2, one that's a prequel, and one that takes place when he's really old), and I've liked them all.

The only film about him I didn't like was one entitled the Grandmaster.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

WanderingBullet

@RR529: I haven't watched the prequel. Oh, "the Grandmaster" is Ip Man 2 if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: The Grandmaster was actually the one starring Tony Leung, my bad.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Victor_Meldrew

http://www.indiegamethemovie.com/about/

won an award at sundance and so apparently it's good

Indie Game: The Movie is the first feature documentary film about making video games. It looks specifically at the underdogs of the video game industry, indie game developers, who sacrifice money, health and sanity to realize their lifelong dreams of sharing their visions with the world.

After two years of painstaking work, designer Edmund McMillen and programmer Tommy Refenes await the release of their first major game for Xbox, Super Meat Boy—the adventures of a skinless boy in search of his girlfriend, who is made of bandages. At PAX, a major video-game expo, developer Phil Fish unveils his highly anticipated, four-years-in-the-making FEZ. Jonathan Blow considers beginning a new game after creating Braid, one of the highest-rated games of all time. Four developers, three games, and one ultimate goal— to express oneself through a video game.

Indie Game: The Movie is about the creative process and putting yourself out there through your work. It’s a journey many filmmakers, creators, artists, entrepreneurs - many people, can relate to in the digital era.

Victor_Meldrew

usb

So there is a remake of Point Break some films should not be remade. Looks like they have not been able to recreate the chemistry of the original charcters

usb

usb

Watched Citizen Four about Edward Snowden great film. I have read a few books about the subject but it was good to see more of the man who did so much to make people aware of big brother and how much of our lives are no longer private. It emphasies the fact we should all be using secure private anon browsing and encrypting all our data. Snowdens message seems to have almost been forgotten and everyone has just gone back to their normal lives.

Edited on by usb

usb

themcnoisy

@Bad-MuthaAdebisi: After reading that, isn't it a tiny bit coincidental that 3 of the most successful indie games ever feature in that film. Gamesgate or whatever its called may have had a point.....

I watched 'Rumour has it' with Jennifer Aniston and Kevin Costner. Great film to watch with your other half. Really funny and a nice follow up to the all time classic 'the Graduate'. Recommended.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Jaz007

I watched "The Wind Rises" by Studio Ghibli. It absolutely fantastic; one of their best work. The way it contrasted peaceful people and actions with the fact we live in a violent and death filled world that can't be ignored was brilliant. I highly recommend you guys watch it.

Jaz007

usb

@ja007 I like studio ghlibi but prefer the earlier work. There was a good one set in the first/second world war I forget the name of it. And there is one with a catbus in it again not sure of the name.

usb

usb

Watched Gone Girl must admt I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would after it getting so many rave reviews. The plot was cleverish just did not grab me.

usb

usb

I do not think Sony have learned there lesson about making films they are currently making or about to make a new He Man movie. I have no idea why they would be going down this route. The cartoon although I enjoyed it as a kid was basically an infomercial to sell toys. The live action movie had so much cheese they could of made good macaroni with it.

On a happier note they are making a live action version of Ghost in the Shell which could be good if it is done right.

usb

RR529

Purchased The Last Samurai (DVD).

I needed something to get my latest Amazon order over the $35 threshold (for free shipping), and decided to add it to my order since it was only a little over $4, and I've always liked it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic