Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 681 to 700 of 10,090

WanderingBullet

@Octane Yeah, I know. I was a big fan of Okami and still hoping that they'll make a sequel for the PS4 someday. I also liked both God Hand and Viewtiful Joe.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Fight_Teza_Fight

GAME Elite has been a really good rewards programme for me. The initial buying in fee (£36) is a tough pill to swallow, but I'm starting to see the returns now.
Last week was my birthday and I just realised that they credited £5 to my rewards balance -that actually breaks me even now, after ~5 months.
So I'm looking at ~£5 off all my Day 1 purchases (preorders) and double points on any sale items I may pick up from here on out.
Very happy with that and I'll probably renew once my subscription ends.

Disclaimer: I do not work for GAME!

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

RogerRoger

@Fight_Teza_Fight I'm glad you've posted this. I don't work for GAME either, but I can definitely see the benefit of Elite for those buying more than a handful of games each year, and I made quite a decent return last year; this year, I'm buying less, so I've stepped back. It also isn't worthwhile for more casual folk, or people who like to shop around but, if you play a lot, there is a way to make it work for you, and I felt that a lot of the instant dismissal of the scheme was somewhat unfair.

Many happy, albeit belated, returns!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Fight_Teza_Fight

@RogerRoger Thank you !

That’s why I wanted to share my experience. It’s not something I’d recommend to most people, but if you average a new release every 4-6 weeks it might be worth looking into- especially if you’re going to be picking up hardware sometime with that year.

I know there are cheaper alternatives out there, but I still like going into a store to pick up the newest releases or a on sale item.
It works for me, so I’m happy with it.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Jaz007

I'm starting college today, so that's pretty exciting. I'm taking a math class online and a English class that starts tomorrow morning. Any college tips from those more experienced in life here?

Jaz007

RogerRoger

@Jaz007 I went back and got my Masters degree as a mature student (stupid term; I still sat in the back, doodled and made jokes all the time... there was nothing "mature" about it).

The only real difference I found is that teachers / professors were more willing to engage in and allow tangents in class discussions, because you're not just a bunch of kids who don't know any better. I found it a lot easier to engage with the wider classes, and people listened to the experiences of the students just as much as anything else. As with all education, however, it'll depend on your teacher. They set the tone, so I hope you get a good one for your English class.

Best of luck with everything!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

I still remembered him saying Ghost of Tsushimi. lol

After watching the latest Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse, I really want a Spider-man game that looks (art direction and visual style wise) like that movie!

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Kidfried

@RogerRoger How old were you when you got your master's? And where did you master in? (Master student myself)

@Jaz007 I feel that education is such a personal thing, with regards to what works for what person. So I can only give you the advice to try to do things in a way that suit you the best. Plan your study time in the way that works for you most efficient, but also the time of day that works best (if you have that choice). Ensuring that you have a really good work environment to make your assignments and study is also part of that. I know the advice is a bit too general maybe.

Kidfried

mookysam

@Jaz007 Wow good luck! I don't have much advice other than if you are able, try and make as much of the non-academic experience as possible. I didn't and sometimes look back and wish I had. So have fun and be yourself.

In the future when I'm feeling better I would like to get another degree. Either a master's or perhaps another bachelor's degree. I think it would be fun! Although going back as a mature student I wonder if I would feel out of place among the youngsters.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@Kidfried I've got a BA (Hons) in Politics & History from Newcastle University, and then an MSc in Emergency Planning & Management from Coventry. I studied for the latter part-time, whilst working full-time, between the ages of 26 and 29. It should've only taken two years, but the nature of my job caused several delays whereby I had to cancel attendance at certain modules and re-take them the following academic year.

What about you? What are your degrees in?

I'm in full agreement with @KratosMD (hang in there, man) in that each subsequent degree is harder to achieve, although in my case half of my problems were specific to the course. I came away really, really disenfranchised with this nation's educational system. Coventry is supposed to be the national leader for disaster management, and yet the teaching quality was abysmal, particularly for the thousands of pounds they were making from each student. I made an official complaint because, without wanting to sound too arrogant, I'm a relatively smart guy with a good grasp of English and current experience in the field, so I knew what was expected of me when it came to assignments... yet they were teaching young and old from all over Europe and further afield, who were far from home and not confident speaking or writing, and depending on their success to forge a career in a highly stressful, over-worked and under-paid profession. I shudder to think how isolated and unsupported some of those students must've felt, and did what I could to help those I got to know, but I was spinning my own plates, too.

I make it sound like a total nightmare; it wasn't, there was some good, a lot of which came from my fellow students who were a decent mix of young and old, inexperienced and experienced. As @mookysam says, there's a heck of a lot of good in the non-academic parts of the university experience, and they're different when you're older, especially when you're helpful in sharing some of your life lessons (and being a gamer is great, as you can often forge a working connection with many varied individuals simply by acknowledging the reference on their Mass Effect t-shirt).

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger I did my bachelor on Religion and Cukture. Now I'm trying to earn my master degree in roughly the same subject. I still don't know if Ill make it. We will see.

Can't wait until I'm done tbh, for better or worse.

Kidfried

Octane

Fortunately I haven't noticed any big difference between bachelor and master, it's just more of the same. I don't mind staying for a few years though. I also work at my university from time to time and it pays well.

Octane

RogerRoger

@Kidfried I'm confident you'll make it. Not just because it's easier when you carry forward a pre-existing qualification (similar to how I was earning a degree in what I did for my day job, giving me an underlying advantage), but also because I've seen your questions, insightful comments and contributions to this community.

I've always been interested in cultural studies. Probably because I've gotten some romantic, totally-unrealistic image stuck in my head, but there's gotta be some genuinely fascinating stuff in there!

@Octane Sounds like you're pretty well-integrated into your institution, which can really help. What's your subject, if you don't mind me asking?

Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@RogerRoger Biology, with a focus on organismal and developmental biology.

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane Wow. That's... blimey, that's properly clever. I'm too intimidated to say anything else!

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@Kidfried I have a Law LLB from the University of Kent.

@RogerRoger My university's teaching was excellent mostly, so I was very fortunate. It's scandalous that so many universities in this country can get away with such poor standards especially given how expensive degrees are now. The government have really effed up with higher education. Sorry you had a bad experience when you did your Masters.

Going off on a tangent here, but in general I'm very disillusioned with our education system and how it churns out stressed out kids who are not taught to question things. The government's curriculum and return to basics mantra in compulsory education is plain wrong. Children also have so much stress on them from so many exams and I just don't know what the point of any of it is. It can lead to a lifetime of anxiety. My niece is only 10 but is being currently tutored in maths and having a huge amount of pressure placed on her to pass the 11 plus exam and go to grammar school so she can "succeed in life". I'm from Kent originally, one of the few counties that still has a grammar system, of which I am not in favour.

If I do go back to university in the future it will be purely for myself and to feel like I have achieved something.

@Octane I misread that for a moment! 😂

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Octane

@RogerRoger Yeah, I guess it sounds more intimidating than it actually is! I like it because it's pretty varied, I get to dabble in chemistry, physics and programming. It's never the same thing! One day you're working neat and tidily on a computer program, and the other day you're covered and blood and fecal matter in a room that turned into a literal mortuary where half of the local zoo's animals have been dumped for dissection lol.

@mookysam People read what they want to read

Octane

RogerRoger

@mookysam You originated from Kent but sounds like you've moved away... I originated from Surrey, but am now living in Kent. If you tell me you're now living in Surrey, I'll be weirded out!

I don't know where the answer lies with education. I don't think I agree with the grammar school system, but I also know that whatever the heck system I was in (SATs and GCSEs) was terrible because it placed the emphasis on the teacher's ability to get their students high grades. As such, I was never taught a subject, but rather taught how to pass that subject's exam. We did endless mock papers, memory exercises and revision sessions. Many tests gave you five points for the right answer, but ten points if you showed enough methodology before arriving at the wrong answer (the only way I passed Maths; I'm useless with numbers). I can write a perfectly-structured essay, but about what? I can't remember, because that part wasn't drilled into us.

A-Levels were awesome. That transition period between "schoolboy" and "adult", where we engaged in debate and wore our own clothes and called teachers by their first names, was one of the few times in my life that I've felt properly, properly happy. I was confident in myself, able to be open about myself, had great friends and genuinely enjoyed and engaged with my subjects. I'm convinced that the sooner kids can get to a stage of education like that, the better.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic