Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 581 to 600 of 10,100

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Don't worry; I started to notice grey in my beard and around my temples the day after my twenty-ninth birthday, so maybe you won't have to wait that long!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 Hmmmm, not sure if I remember that as I might be getting mixed up with the Wonderboy games on the Master System.

Thanks for the nostalgia trip, I enjoyed watching clips of Operation Wolf, R-TYPE, Batman, etc.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Kidfried

@Th3solution Buddy, havent seen you in a week. You mentioned some real life bosses, you doing ok?

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Thanks for asking, my friend. Appreciate the concern. The bottom fell out from under me a little bit the last couple weeks. I apologize. I did ask you about your Y0 impressions on the other thread but then knew I was going to be out of commission for a while so I deleted it until I could get my focus back. Sounds like a good game and I should get to it soon hopefully.
But the real world boss battles have been fierce. Don’t worry, nothing life threatening or anything, just lots of stress and such. And really it’s nothing major — typical life garbage that we all have, I’m sure. You know, first world problems. But I didn’t want to be melodramatic so I have been a little bit on hiatus.
When life gets crazy, I usually rely on gaming to de-stress. But sometimes real life overshadows and pulls us into a place whereby all attention goes to survival in the more real sense. As an example, I noticed while playing Bloodborne, that my heart races and pounds, my breathing becomes rapid and shallow, and I get that “fight or flight” adrenaline surge when I’m playing, especially when fighting a boss. It’s a rush and when you succeed it feels great, kinda like riding a roller coaster or rock climbing or something. But when your body is already in fight or flight mode, it’s not appealing, if that makes sense. And I find that sometimes it’s hard to concentrate while gaming when you’ve got a lot on your mind. ...Anyways, it’s all good and I hope to slay these last couple real life bosses and clear out my real life backlog a little the next couple weeks and return to some semblance of normalcy.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution The best of British to you, sir. Looking forward to seeing you posting again, whenever that may be; stress is best dealt with to your timetable, not anybody or anything else's.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Haruki_NLI

When you want something done right, do it yourself.

People in my Discord community joined for another tournament. I left it to my staff of 5 (FIVE PEOPLE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!) to sort things out while I get my site established, all the integrations, adapt to my new life with it's current hurdles, and for weeks this Splatoon tournament was pushed back again and again, they grilled people for appropriate dates but nothing ever happened and one of the staff noted people that were leaving, albeit slowly.

So in steps me and within an hour there are tweets on the official account, an article on my site, an announcement in the Discord and sign up channels ready for not just a Splatoon tournament but a Mario Kart one two weeks later, with tournaments scheduled for every fortnight.

It took me one hour!

Never let a group of people do your job. Swear to God I have to put my foot down more.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Good to have ya back buddy, hope to hear about your continuing journey in Yharnam soon.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Jaz007

They gave us all free Domino’s pizza for lunch at work. Praise the sun!

Jaz007

Haruki_NLI

I got yelled at and had to organise tournaments, only to get yelled at more for taking control of something that was going nowhere otherwise.

I dont even get paid for this!

themcnoisy

@Th3solution hey man good to have you back. I was worried about you dude. Loads of comments and posts and you disappeared! Hope life turns around for you.

@YummyHappyPills sounds like they have no idea how to run a tournament. Or worse still are lazy.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

themcnoisy

Hey everyone. After running the tournaments and polls over the last few years I decided to stop doing it. Which was a good choice me thinks. However;

I was reading 1001 games to play before you die. Which is okay, major holes in the list imo but its a great trip down memory lane. Then I thought,

could we order every single Playstation game ever physically released in PAL and NTSC territories? Maybe into an overall order descending from must play to dont play. As gaming connoisseurs we could do the whole 21 years of Playstation history. What are everyones thoughts on that?

Jaz007

@themcnoisy That sounds interesting. Any thoughts on how we would decide that the order? We could use your previous competitions as a way of jumpstarting the rankings. Making that list is a big enough task by itself without ranking it. I’d be down to try I think. It might take a couple years, but we can try lol. I’ve heard of more physically released games after PS1 than most have, and I’m sure many here are similar. It might the first time it’s ever been done if you don’t count gamerankings that I know of. Maybe the first to do it from a modern perspective.

Jaz007

themcnoisy

@Jaz007 to start with we get a good but not great game, middle of the road game and a weak but not unplayable game. We will all choose these together. Then we throw games in randomly to get different lists. At least then we will have a servicable amount of games in each list to order.

List A - if the game is more essential than the good game
List B - if its not as desirable as the good game but more game worthy than the average game
List C - if its not as good as the average game but better than the weak game
List D - Worse than the weak game

First of all though we need to know how many games were released on each system and pick a date we are going upto. Say E3 2018. From there we have the base of the thread.

Once we have all the games in the lists we can then order them. For obvious reasons the order of the games in List A and B will be more scrutinized than C or D.

So yeah. Once we have got the lists together the detail can be managed by everyone in the commuity who has played the games.

Jaz007

There about 1,850 games released for the PS1&PS2 in NA each. Not sure about PS3, that might be a little harder to figure out because of digital games, but I’ll take a look at it later today.
I’m also thinking that after we have a people name a bunch of games, we could see if some users could take a year and figure out what we forgot about through gamerankings or metacritic. Maybe 2 people a year to make it through and allow for a few mistakes.

Jaz007

themcnoisy

@Jaz007 That is actually less than I first thought! Awesome. If another person (or 3) join the conversation we can start to take it a bit more seriously! Cheers mate.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder @RogerRoger Thank you kind sirs. I think things are clearing back up for me. The battleship is turning back around, albeit very gradually.
@themcnoisy I’m on board with the “must play- must avoid” list creation. I don’t have near the knowledge and experience that many do on here, especially the early gen stuff, but I could contribute my part.
I’m not sure I completely understand the logistics of how the lists will be generated but I would be willing to take a list of games I played and categorize them.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Haruki_NLI

Hmmm.

I understand the idea of marking something as "You MUST play this" but in my own experience I find telling people a game is awesome, the equivalent of gaming homework as it were, leaves them disappointed. This has happened to myself and many across the internet that if you say its the best thing ever...you'll be setting some high bars especially for older games.

Either way I'll gladly dive back through my PS1/2 libraries if needed. Nothing like some ol' classics (Or not...Heart of Darkness)

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic