Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 4,441 to 4,460 of 10,091

Kidfried

Still don't understand why this site doesn't have a mod. I think that's the main thing holding the community back rn.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

I think a lot of things are coming to a head right now. The first half of 2020 has been a pressure cooker for many, but it's also helping others gain perspective and make changes to how things operate; the "new normal" people keep talking about. This applies to websites and companies, as well as individuals.

It's always a shame when change happens to something good, and these forums have definitely been (and still are, for the most part) something good, but we all have our moments. I certainly don't post as much as I used to, and I avoid certain topics because the risk isn't worth it. Others who have appeared to leave permanently, deleting their accounts after an incident or issue, have later returned. The site itself has introduced and then subsequently removed features that didn't work, and I'm sure staff will take events into consideration whilst responding to the increased traffic (and increased toxicity it brings with it).

I think ultimately, whatever's gone down between whoever, we have to trust that people are making the right decisions for their positions and themselves.

Sometimes that can be a shame for the rest of us, but I also take it as a comfort.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD I wasn't implying you were defending him? The staff that work here are only human and will make mistakes. And like I said, the staff have already admitted they are looking at ways to improve that side of things.

@Kidfried The staff (Ant, Sammy, Stephen, Robert, Liam etc) moderate the site. Maybe there is a need for someone to be more hands on, especially with the increased traffic and what comes with that. Plus people are at home at lot more and dealing the the latest drama that is going on in their own way, so you will get people getting irate and stuff.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LieutenantFatman

I didn't know Neolit well but he was clearly a friendly and smart guy, always sad to see people like that leave. He made it clear it was an issue he was very sensitive too and we don't know what else is going on his life, he could be going through a hard time.

It probably doesn't help that the site has a lot of trolls at the moment who are simply here for the sole reason of starting arguments and trying to upset people.

I had one troll on this site yesterday spreading fake news and misinformation, and telling me certain well documented facts are entirely untrue. Checking their profile, all they do is start arguments in TLOU articles. I firmly but politely told them they were incorrect, hit report and then ignore. I feel long arguments with people trolling will never be conducive to anything positive.

Edited on by LieutenantFatman

LieutenantFatman

LieutenantFatman

@Kyroki
That's fair, I haven't met the team but I'm sure you're right that they're a very nice bunch. I don't doubt that for a second and there is a great community here as well.

But understandably people are concerned with some of the current negative activity on the site and are hoping that it's just a temporary thing. People are talking about it because they care and want the site to continue being a nice place to visit.

LieutenantFatman

Kidfried

The team is great. And of course, things have never been perfect or anything. Both true, and what I also believe to be true is the site would be a better place with someone on the team actively managing the community.

Kidfried

crimsontadpoles

The team does a good job, but I'd agree that having a few mods about could help improve things. It probably makes sense to have several mods instead of just one person patrolling the forums. Everyone has personal lives and other things to do, so we can't expect a single dedicated mod to sort out a problem straight away. Nintendo Life has quite a few mods, and that place seems mostly alright these days.

Rudy_Manchego

I saw the thread from Neolit but missed the bit when he said he was leaving so had to go back and read it. Sad to see a regular leave over something but obviously it was something that he felt strongly about, particularly with his own experience and I respect him for it.

I believe that PushSquare is a fantastic site with a great team that genuinely care about their content. I agree that we are at a stage that active moderation would help but at the same time, that typically comes from the community and I'm not sure if there is anyone willing to make that leap at the moment.

Essentially I think Push Square is a victim of its own success - it is a respected site from a gaming perspective, because of the work of its editorial staff and us amazing community members so that means that they are succeeding more and more and bringing new readers. We have a myriad of things going on - pandemic, economic concern, big social upheavel and crossing that, Sony and Playstation have a lot of attention as there is a new generation around the corner and with that increased interest, it is bringing the problems. I'd argue that if you compare the plonkers and trolls in comparison to the daily traffic, they are an incredibly small minority but unfortunately they are a loud and highly visible minority and they raise tensions and atmosphere.

It is sad that something so exciting, like a major AAA sequel for a beloved franchise has moved away from the merits of the game into something so ridiculous.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Black_Swordsman

@KratosMD Judging by your name I imagine you've played God Of War (2018) Did you beat all the Valkyries and dragons? I'm gunning for those trophies at the moment, but the Valkyries seem h*lla hard!

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD My mistake, I obviously got my wires crossed and don't recall exactly what was said on that thread. My understanding though is there are a whole load of changes planned to the site, including better communication/notification of when these things happen. At the moment the staff would have to manually contact each individual, which at the moment I think is a bit unrealistic to expect that.

The staff do moderate the site though, I think you are being but unfair on them here. If you are unhappy on something, then report it or contact them about it. The more people that do this, the more it flags to them.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

What an excellent video machine and the dedication of two hours practice has to be admired!

Can't say that the controller looks all that comfortable though..

Thrillho

nessisonett

Hope all you lot down south enjoy your extra metre, we’ve still got a bit left to go up here before opening up!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LieutenantFatman

@Thrillho
lol, definitely a lad of few words, I wonder if he won. The graphics in those days were really something.

LieutenantFatman

Rudy_Manchego

@nessisonett Even before the pandemic I tried to stay at least a metre away from people because I'm just unsociable. So all is back to normal for me!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

Rudy_Manchego

Just seen that Star Wars Episode 1: Racer dropped across platforms this week. I am deep into TLOU2 right now but tempted just because of how much I loved the game on N64. Might wait for reviews though.

Black_Swordsman

@Rudy_Manchego What do you think of NG4 to Playstation ports in general? I didn't think the remake of Goldeneye was as good as it's N64 counterpart.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Black_Swordsman

I am thinking of picking up the original King's Field game, despite high criticism of it's great difficulty on here (someone put me off buying it before) but it's a spiritual predecessor to the Souls games, and a title by From Software , who are known for quality. Can I get a second, nay, even third opinion?

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic It’s borderline unplayable, hugely inaccessible, pretty much impossibly difficult.... but if you get past that then you’ll love it 😂😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic