Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 4,461 to 4,480 of 10,056

Rudy_Manchego

@Draco_V_Ecliptic This is a direct port really with some minor control/graphical upgrades but not much more than that. I sort of prefer that rather than the ports of Goldeneye etc. which were essentially full remakes that lost a lot of the charm of the original.

I love N64 games and have an original console but I don't have a CRT and that makes a lot of games almost unplayable on an HD tv. Emulation on N64 is also patchy and you really need a good PC to force through any sort of emulation at this stage and there is a lot of fiddling. I'm waiting for Eon to release a PAL N64 plug in upscaler but that will be at least £100.

So I'm all for ports like Episode One Racer because it means some great games are playable on my favourite setup.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Ooh no - will have to have a google. My friend had an N64 at the time and I bought one cheap late into its life but really only used it for a multiplayer games with my housemates of the time - so Goldeneye, Mario Kart, ISS soccer.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

nessisonett

@Rudy_Manchego I always found my Wii U pretty decent for emulation, you could run NES, SNES, N64, Cube and Wii games all perfectly due to the VC emulators and the Wii menu doesn’t remove the Cube support despite not being able to put discs in the console. I always found it a bloody nightmare trying to rip carts compared to discs though. I think that’s mostly considered the best way to play these games on modern TVs, I know speedrunning games like Ocarina of Time, they use the Wii VC. I also play the randomizer quite a bit and general feeling is that the Wii is a better emulator than PCs for whatever reason. The scene’s made some big progress in recent years, even PS3 is looking not too bad but for whatever reason, the only console that’s impossible to emulate is the OG Xbox! There goes any way to play Jet Set Radio Future outside the original hardware 😢

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Rudy_Manchego

@nessisonett Actually, that is a thought and I have a Wii that I don't use, well, since I have my WiiU. I may have a go at that. I should also note for all that I am a big game collector and do have most of these physically (so not posting about piracy or anything).

My big bugbear is the lack of investment from firms (with exception of microsoft) with the ability to play older titles.

nessisonett

@Rudy_Manchego Yeah, I always try to rip my own copies of games if I can, it’s perfectly legal. If all else fails, I’ll find a physical copy of the game and end up downloading a backup of it. As much as many use these things for piracy, I love a good ROM hack and randomizer, it brings some new life to these games.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Does the same go for Mods on PC? I hear you can get into trouble (account banned) for using hacks and mods in Dark Souls. How goes the hunt for Sir Alonne's head?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Mods are perfectly OK, Dark Souls is different because you’d only get banned if you play online, to avoid cheaters. Sir Alonne will be mine soon, I’ve beaten Fume Knight and I’m going to do the last DLC before going back for him!

andreoni79

My old PS4 just turned off without any warning! Since in these days here it's 35 C° I'm thinking it may be a problem with overheating. I'm moving TLOU2 to the internal HDD and I'll disconnect the external HDD: it was quite hot and I hope it may help since the PS4 wasn't designed to feed them... 🥵

Edited on by andreoni79

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

LieutenantFatman

@andreoni79
It's happened to mine a couple of times, always turns out ok once it's rebooted. Might be worth running a hover along the fans.

LieutenantFatman

RogerRoger

@andreoni79 @LieutenantFatman Yep, this happened to a friend of mine recently, when we had a couple thirty-plus summer days. Her launch model PS4 just went "Nope, sorry!" and shut itself down whilst she was playing inFAMOUS: Second Son but then, once it had cooled down, worked fine.

That's good advice; hoover out the fans and, in warmer weather, play in shorter bursts when possible.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@andreoni79 I would advise not to use a normal hoover on your ps4, you could unintentionally cause some damage to the console. If you do a quick google search you should find some alternative methods which have less risk to damage your console.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

My favourite bad take from today’s Push Square - “Indies are bad. Playstation shouldn’t support indies.”

Baffling. It would be like saying any film not produced by Disney or Universal etc is bad, or saying that any music not released by a major label is bad. I really wonder about people sometimes 😂😂

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Yeah I know, I just read some of the comments on the Playstation Indies article. From people not wanting to play Cyberpunk cos it is played from a first person perspective to this. Can't get my head round it really.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Anti-Matter

Boo..!
Long time not posting here.
Keep busy with my cute game Animal Crossing New Horizons.

Anti-Matter

jdv95

@nessisonett the never ending hypocrisy of the gaming community.

those same people are the ones who say that sony is leaving indies behind when they don't show enough support for them.

or when PS plus has a good month for ones,they then complain about it all being AAA games most people already have etc,while first always complaining that plus only has average indies/AA games.

or complains when a game story is boring/to safe,yet start a riot when a story takes risks.

there realy is no hobby more infested by toxic people than this one.

Edited on by jdv95

jdv95

kyleforrester87

@jdv95 people are allowed to have opinions though, I mean you’re saying people are being hypocritical but that’s not really the case a lot of the time. It’s different people saying they like or don’t like something. And that’s normal and fine. It’s not remotely toxic to say you don’t like indies and don’t think Sony should be supporting them. I think you’re seeing a lot of people say things and making assumptions about what else they might have said in the past?

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

LieutenantFatman

Kyle makes a good point, I spoke to a couple of people who said they dislike indie games. Turns out they didn't know what indie meant and assumed the term only applied to super low budget thrown together 2D games.

Wasn't anything toxic about what they said.. and some are only interested in big triple A heavily marketed games. I think they're missing out but that's a different conversation.

LieutenantFatman

andreoni79

I opened my old PS4 (I hope the man who invented the torx system is already burning in hell) and dusted it off on both side. I wonder where the air is intended to enter since the panels close the console entirely... Now I have a naked PS4 on my desk and it's pretty silent!

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic