Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 1,781 to 1,800 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 well the BBC said they were not bothered by the numbers but i don't see how they wouldn't be as it's the lowest the show has ever had

i can see it getting cancelled again if this keeps up, just like during the McCoy run

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 well it is the BBC

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 apparently Doctor Who merch is doing well BUT the ones selling most are all the old Doctors, 13 isn't doing so hot in the merch department

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 i don't think Whittaker is honestly, you can see flashes of a good Doctor in her performance at times, the issue is Chibnall he has NO idea how to write Doctor Who

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 i think if she had a showrunner behind her that actually knows what Doctor Who is she could be pretty good at it

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo @LN78

I don't think the series will be cancelled. In spite of the numbers, in spite of the hostile/lukewarm/indifferent/elated response from a lot of the fan base - I think it is at this point fair to call 13 bulletproof.

The lack of concern and released statements bear out that the BBC see themselves very much as leading 'the great and the good' here. It doesn't matter what the quality of reception of the show is - they're the good guys, and there's enough media back-patting still going on to justify it.

As I've said elsewhere, just watch Batwoman, which has, incredibly, been renewed. It is singularly the worst show I've spent any time trying to watch. They've got a great character, but unfortunately the show's premise and existence is solely based on platforming a woman lead show, with bonus points that the character is a lesbian. There's nothing else there, certainly no creativity.

It also has terrible numbers, the critics are as far as I'm aware still doing their best to sell it, but again - like Who, there's enough back-patting and Twitter blue-tick approval that WB looks progressive.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

KALofKRYPTON wrote:

I remember Frakes and Sirtis used to joke about having their own 'At Home With The Rikers' TV show. That would have been awesome.

Funny how the only cast member they said would never do it is Patrick Stewart. And how Troi never wanted any kids; just a dog.

In an alternate dimension, that's the show our doppelgangers are all watching.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger The lucky, handsome swines!

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78
Irony being that all of the 'agenda' goals could be better served and achieved by not shouting about it and just making good content.

Remember how good and well received Underworld was? And Blade? People were excited that it was the specific actors in the roles, not that they were female and black lead films, respectively; nor were there people screaming from the rafters in opposition to them either - because no one cared.

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 I should think the first is OK, the effects for the final fight looked pretty ancient even by the time the DVD came out. I think the only problem with 2 would be the infiltration scene when Nyssa an the Cat break in

@RogerRoger Did you see the set pic from the Riker's episode? Michael Dorn and LeVar Burton in attendance!?

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON ...no, I haven't seen that! Awesome!

I'm quite pleased that the rumour about Beverly being dead didn't come to pass when it was supposed to, by the way. Either it was just that, a rumour, or it was deleted from the episode. Gives me hope for a more upbeat reunion somewhere down the line!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger
I hadn't seen that rumour. Wouldn't have surprised me though.
Untitled

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Le gasp. It's so awesome that they're all best friends, and show up to support one another's projects (Trek related or otherwise). Thanks for finding and posting it!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger No worries.

Back on Doctor Who, just saw that the Beeb have secured a HBO Max deal for seasons 13 and 14. So it really, really doesn't matter what the domestic ratings are.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah but it's quite telling of the quality that they have to rely on other markets as it failed in the market it was filmed for

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo
I do wish they'd leave it alone.

Post season 6 (a couple of bits of 7 are OK) of Red Dwarf can be summed up quite easily as having all of the budget and none of the wit of what came before.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON as strange as it might sound it feels like this is actually the end, the whole film is set around the cat people and the promise land or "fuschl", if they find it then that means the make it home, to earth and that feels like an ending because they have done what they set out to do all the way back in episode 1

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo
Hopefully.
I've never gotten Naylor's obsession with continuing Red Dwarf. He knows he isn't funny. Never has been.
Hopefully he's either toned down the attempts at comedy and pastiche of former glory, or at least has some competent help who can move beyond caricatured extrapolations of the characters.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic