Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 1,221 to 1,240 of 2,292

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I went gender-neutral. You might wanna enter her prize, but I'm good, ta!

You saying "Striker" just made me think of Airplane! which I really, really wanna watch now. Once I've stopped scrubbing my brain with wire wool after reading what you and @KALofKRYPTON have done to my beloved childhood memories, of course.

Thank goodness we stopped before getting to Captain Kathryn Jane-Waahey of the USS Voyeur. I don't think my intermix levels could've handled it.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger
Jane-Wahey!!

Thankfully the Voyager crew names aren't quite as easy to work with.

Apart from perhaps... Harry Quim!

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger oh i get that, i was just thinking about what it might have been back when these movies were being made

also 7 with 9

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Eew. Eew eew eew! Be ashamed of yourself. Eew.

@FullbringIchigo Fair enough and good point, yeah. Sorry, I sounded like a bit of a flag-waiver up there. All of this is written in a jokey tone!

Didn't that drunken ambassador in "Someone to Watch Over Me" (VGR) already come up with a decent Carry On name for Seven, when he called her "Seven of Mine"...?! Although thinking about it, that episode in and of itself was pretty much as close as we'll ever get to a naughty farce in Star Trek canon. That and "The Naked Now" (TNG).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I'm pretty proud of that one

There's a Tuvok one that came to mind (Boom Boom!) that I'm not touching (Boom Boom!) at all! (It starts, 'Tug...').

None of this is helped by the fact that there's a chap in my office who laughs like Sid James!

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger you know in today's oversensitive society a film series like the Carry On films would never be made (or if they were they wouldn't be anywhere near as "raunchy" as they were) which is a crying shame if you ask me, people seem to have forgotten how to have fun

i always say that NO film or TV has any duty but to entertain, not everything is made to suit me, not every character has to represent me and not every story has to tackle my issues and if someone thinks they do then maybe, just maybe they shouldn't be watching them

hey that might be a view people don't like but i don't care

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I'd admonish you further, if I hadn't just spent five minutes trying to find increasingly-gross ways to corrupt the name "Chakotay".

@FullbringIchigo Oh, absolutely agreed. Some of my favourite jokes are ones which others have told me I should be offended by. Screw that; funny is funny. By all means, put a warning at the top saying "some might find this offensive" but then still tell the joke, don't censor it.

And some of the most emotional moments of film and television for me, ones that have had me outright crying, have been involving characters or circumstances that have zero relevance to me.

One thing today's generation lacks is empathy and the ability to see things from other perspectives.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger err.... Chocke-otool...

That one may be beyond the pale.

I'll have to throw out 'Ensign Suitsyousir' to bring it back from the brink of iniquity!

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I think it's less about the names with Voyager, and more about the potential puns. For example, whenever Tom and Harry are in the same scene, one could observe that "they haven't got a Dick between them" or something. There's also the first three letters of "assimilate" to have fun with.

Genuinely think we need to steer away from getting the topic locked now!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger haha. Yeah.

Is anyone planning on importing any Chateau Picard? Or just going to stick with readily available low tier table wines?

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I don't drink alcohol (explains a lot) so you'll have to tell me if it's actually decent wine, or just some cheaply-produced paint thinner with a licencing company mark-up.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I only drink once or twice a year now, certainly not often enough to try and justify nicely labelled/bottled plonk that's probably incredibly pedestrian!

Only selling in America too, which would involve quite a lot of nonsense trying to get someone to buy it and ship.

I've a lovely bottle of cherry mead I'm looking forward to for Christmas. If I was a captain, that'd totally be my thing!

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Why'd you have to be a captain for cherry mead to be your thing? Own it, man!

Coffee in the mornings, cinnamon tea in the evenings, plenty of water and / or pineapple juice in between. That's all my replicator would need to materialise... well, that and food. And clothes.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Not just the black cherry stuff I have. But a broad range of mead recipes!

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Oh, I see, you'd run your own post-captaincy label; well, if there's one thing the Star Trek universe is lacking, it's mead. I don't think it's ever mentioned, ever!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Takarian Mead is a thing. Mentioned by Quark in DS9. All hail Google! 😂

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Of course it's on one of the shows I don't know word-for-word.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON @RogerRoger wasn't that in the alternate timeline seen in "The Visitor"?

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger @KALofKRYPTON Star Trek the Animated series is leaving Netflix at the end of the year

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2019/11/09/star-trek-the-anima...

while the animated series isn't exactly well regarded in the fandom it makes you wonder if the same thing will soon happen to the other shows

it's also worth noting that the Animated series is now on Amazon Prime in America so is it possible that the rest of the shows will transition over as well?

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo ...wait, The Animated Series has been on Netflix this entire time?!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic