Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 1,861 to 1,880 of 3,698

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD the general difficulty of random battles does take a bit of an upturn around the same time as enemies start using a lot more status changing attacks on you. But yes as you say you have pushed through the last 5 lol.

Did you ever start 9? I feel like you did and stopped.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD they both make subtle changes such as the game not ending if the party leader falls in battle (which was an issue in XIII) but as for mentioning them well the thing is none of the XIII games will be because it's "cool" to hate on them even though they aint actually bad games, they just tried something different, for years people were asking Square to "!do something new" with the franchise because the games were "getting stale" and then when they try something new they complain that the series has changed

as for it being linear well for one it fits the story so i had no issue with it BUT the fact is pretty much EVERY FF game is linear, they just hid it where FFXIII didn't, take probably the most well known of the series FFVII, until you get the airship your funneled down a path that you can't really deviate from and while it looks like you have a open world to explore once you leave Midgar you don't it's still blocked off by mountain ranges or rivers or seas and the "open" bit's are basically just grinding arenas (you may have also noticed this when playing FFVI or many of the classic FF's as well)

as for the battle system i know people will say "you can just mash cross and win" but that's total b******s and the only people who say that either never played it or only played the opening segment, now you can try doing that but you wont make it past the first Eidolon fight if you did and IF by some miracle you did you certainly wouldn't make it past the second

FFXIII was a game that tried something new and got roasted for it because it "wasn't the same as the old ones" but for those of us who stuck with it we found a rather fun and enjoyable game with an interesting world and a good story and in the past few years more and more people have been playing them thanks the the XB1 BC program and found that they are actually fun games

in other words try to ignore the haters, the negative nancies and the people who can't accept change (even though they asked for it) and try them out, you will find that while they are something completely different to the older FF games they are still fun

oh and FFXIII's final boss is probably one of the hardest final bosses in the series history

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD in terms of game play they refine the formula rather than innovate it, takes the basics of FFXIII and expand it so in terms of game play there isn't a huge difference between the 3, it's the stories and world that have the biggest changes for example XIII-2 has you jumping through time and space and using captured monsters in you party while LR XIII uses a time based system kind of like Majoras Mask does where certain events happen at certain times

as for XV it actually does the almost opposite of previous FF games while as older ones start off in a linear fashion and opens into an open world XV starts as a open world and gets more focused and linear as the story progresses but it makes sense with how the story progresses

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD if you have a xbox 360 or PS3 i'm pretty sure you could still download the demo for XIII-2 if you wanted to give it a try

HallowMoonshadow

Can't agree with any of that in the slightest @FullbringIchigo (Your initial post/response anout FF XIII)

Wish I could.

I think FF XIII was my... 4th or maybe 5th FF. It was alright at first. But... It IS just boring as hell corridors for like 20-30 hours. The others successfully mamage to make you not notice with minigames, tighter writing or a mote intriguing narrative.

You can quite easily say FF X has a very similar stucture and narritively it makes sense to the approach that the game has... But... XIII's story is pretty weak (especially compared X's... that I hadn't played yet at the time I think).

as for the battle system i know people will say "you can just mash cross and win" but that's total b******s

... Aside from changing paradigms every now and again I honestly did this.

It's really not that hard to do, especially when the combat system is in my opinion too fast to really add any sort of strategy to it beyond build up stagger metre, let loose on the enemy, heal if you need too, build up stagger metre again. Rinse and repeat ad nasuem.

I even played through the game twice. Once near release (with knowing nothing about it's reception by fans) and again a few years later.

I EVEN tried FF XIII-2 after I heard it was supposedly better.

Never again. Certainly not hating on it for any cool points either.

I also really don't like Lightning. She's a terribly boring and annoying protagonist to myself

But that's just my opinion. Nice to know you got enjoyment out of it. Wish I did.

I do hope you have a better time with XIII and it's sequels then me @KratosMD when you finally get round to it 😂

Glad you're enjoying FF VI more now too! ... I haven't played that myself and to be honest the whole 14 characters bit you mentioned puts me right off.

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

I'm the kinda person who hates when a character is a level below or higher and I have to go out my way so I can get them all the same or there's an odd number of party members so I can't have 2 or 3 different teams @KratosMD ...so 14 characters is way too much faffing about for me lol 😂

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

themcnoisy

@KratosMD @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @FullbringIchigo I quite like Ff13. However as fox says its pretty much corridors for 12 levels (30-40 hours). The enemies all fit within your skill parameters as you go through each level. For instace at the start there will be 2x enemy A, next battle 2x enemy B, next battle 1x A 1xB, next battle 1x A 2xB, next Battle 2xc, etc etc. Its fundemetally boring. You can't over level until way into the game as it hinders you on the skill levelling grid.

There are no shops in the game, just terminals which makes no sense. Hardly any NPCs and it takes an age for the fighting system (which I like) to open up.

I would say the plot and overarching story is good. However the pacing is off, the falcie l'cie nonsense is a real turn off, its gobbledegook. Once you buy into the story there is enjoyment but then you have to contend with Hope and Vanille as your party members and continuous corridors and an ill thought out implementation of summons.

The post game hunts are fantastic and this is where the game really shines. The trials of Titan again wonderful. It just takes 60 hours to get there.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD yeahhhh see it’s where I lose interest, going round the world collecting up your team again is a bit of a drag. And I don’t like how you’ve not seen them for a year and they just say a couple of lines of dialogue and jump back in to your team to pick up right where you left off 🤷‍♂️

And yes, enemies using status changing attacks on you is much more common in the world of ruin. Every battle you’re like poisoned and petrified or something.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

themcnoisy

@FullbringIchigo I disagree profusely. The game is one big corridor literally in almost every instance.

FFX does the corridor thing well, as it has content and secrets in its areas and npcs. FFXIII has none of that.

FullbringIchigo

@themcnoisy yeah but you was on the run and being hunted why would you be hanging around in a town when every person want's you dead

for the story the game was trying to tell it makes sense to not be hanging around looking in shops and talking to NPC's i guess the whole issue is if the story and characters interested you or not because that's pretty much what FFXIII was built around

on a side note FFXIII had plenty of secrets although they mostly ended up leading you to treasure chests, it's when you got to Pulse where the game really opened up and introduced all the side quests and stuff, the Titans Trials were pretty good and some of the hunts were really hard and don't get me talking about trying to beat and Adamantoise those things were hard, they could wipe out your party in one move

themcnoisy

@FullbringIchigo I said the same in comment #2019

'The post game hunts are fantastic and this is where the game really shines. The trials of Titan again wonderful. It just takes 60 hours to get there.'

As I mentioned in the same comment Ff13 is very good. I would give it maybe 8/10 as a stand alone game but 6/10 as a Final Fantasy game. Too much is stripped out to score it better, FF13-2 was more of a JRPG and bar the stupid story and weak characters a better game.

I'm restarting FF 12 tomorrow as I have a random Friday off work.

FullbringIchigo

@themcnoisy which version of XII you playing, the original, the PS4 Zodiac Age or the Switch/XB1 Zodiac Age

themcnoisy

@FullbringIchigo the PS4 zodiac age!

FullbringIchigo

@themcnoisy i just finished my play through of that one but i'm thinking of doing the Switch version as it has the ability to not only change jobs but also have 3 gambit set ups

why they never patched them in the PS4 version i'll never know but they didn't

themcnoisy

@FullbringIchigo It will be my last ever run on ff12. Pretty much done with ff5-ff13 after this, unlikely to play any of the legacy games again as much as I love them. Recently played the nes mini version of ff1 again, it's a bit too long in the tooth so I won't replay the other nes ones.

FF4 is on my Vita downloaded, so That will likely be my last legacy FF. Then it all about the FF7 remake and another run through FF15 with all the additional content.

Just not enough time. Ff12 - 7 remake - FF4 - FF15... Wait for Ff16.

I'm pretty excited to go back to 12 with the extra bells and whistles the remake affords. Does it have an option to speed up the license board, infinite monet or other cheats like the ff7, 8 and 9 remakes?

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy I’d never say I wouldn’t play some of the older FF games again. Frankly 7 and 9 are a pleasure to play so it’s not about having to force to make time for them etc.

kyleforrester87

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic