Forums

Topic: 2016 Olympic Games Thread

Posts 1 to 20 of 121

Tasuki

So it's that time again in a few days the 2016 Olympics will be upon us so I figured we have a place to discuss the events. Please let's keep the controversies out and discuss the games itself.

I guess I will start off by saying I am looking forward to alot of the events mainly soccer, basketball, wrestling, the track and field events and water polo. Any events you guys looking forward to at all? Are you ready for the Summer games?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

usb

Like watching the opening ceremony and seeing all the different nations some with only one or two athletes. Looking forward to 100m, 200m to see what Bolt can do and if he is back to his best. Also looking forward to weight lifting, cycling, tennis, sailing, volleyball. Bxing I like to watch because it was always amateurs but now whats changed so not sure if it will be as good. If BMX is still in the olypmics I will watch that. What I truly love about the event is that you get to watch sports that sometimes very rarely get any TV coverage. So its good to find new sports like at the last Olympics I watched handball for the first time. Not sure how the timings work out for me in the UK might be a lot of late nights.

Edited on by usb

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

get2sammyb

Yay! I can't wait for the Olympic Games. One of the highlights of my life (saddo!) is the Olympic torch being taken down my street prior to the London olympics.

I'll probably end up watching BBC's highlight shows that compile the best bits rather than any sports in particular, but I'm looking forward to the tennis, volleyball, cycling, football, rowing, and track and field.

Tasuki

@get2sammyb: That's not a bad thing Sammy. Back in 2002 when the Salt Lake City Winter Games were here the street that I was living on had the Olympic torch run down a block away. I remember getting up like 6 in the morning on a cold January morning (yes it does get cold here in California) and walking down the block to be able to see the torch relay. It was so exciting to see the event. I have some pictures of it too sadly though it was before I had a cell phone so I have no way of sharing them online.

One of the best momen's and exciting in my life.

My Backlog

BAMozzy

Personally I will avoid 98% of the Olympics - same as every 4yrs! I may watch 'certain' events but not until they reach the final stage. I doubt though I will watch any of it live. If we see a new WR 100m for example, I may watch a replay, may watch a the football final (although my team only has 1 player at the Olympics). The rest of it for me is just an annoyance as it messes up the normal TV schedule.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Kidfried

I'll watch some events. The politics surrounding the games left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, and as a consequence I probably won't watch as much as four years ago. I was watching 24/7 back then, so that's not saying a lot.

I'm interested in a lot of sports: cycle racing, BMX, archery, soccer, swimming and tennis, to name a few. I'm not into fighting and jury sports that much. I'll be watching most of them if I'm able, but I probably won't cancel appointments and such for it this time.

Kidfried

Kidfried

@Tasuki @get2sammyb It'd be so great to be able to witness that. Hopefully one of the next Olympics will be close by.

Kidfried

themcnoisy

@get2sammyb: @Tasuki: I've seen the torch as well, the excitement on everyone's faces, crowds, laughing, smiling, fun and the clapping.

It was all the more poignant as I stood in dog poo on the roundabout in Plymouth City Centre close to walkabout and revolution and my son felt ill off the subway which we bought as it was running slightly late. Such good memories.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

RR529

I'll be looking forward to the Archery, Beach Volleyball, Boxing, Martial Arts, Shooting, Soccer (don't tell father about this one, lol), Table Tennis, & Wrestling. I'll also probably catch some Golf, Swimming, & Track & Field, as those are what my father's into. Of course, the Opening Ceremony is always a good watch.

I don't know how much I'll be able to catch of the "smaller" events though, as they're usually hidden away on some side channels you don't even know exist (or are limited to online streaming).

I do wish the best for the athletes and guests though, with the stuff going on.

Go Team USA! Go Team Japan!

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tasuki

@get2sammyb: @themcnoisy: I don't know if they did the same for you guys but when I saw it it was more like a parade. They had floats and other athletes too it went on for a couple of hours before the torch made its way past us. I remember everyone waving the American flag and just the excitement of the crowd overall. It was indeed a sight to behold.

My Backlog

Anchorsam_9

@Tasuki @themcnoisy @get2sammyb I remember seeing the torch through my town back in 2012, it was awesome to see so many people out and excited for it. I'm pretty sure there were a load of party buses behind the runners, giving out free stuff. It was great to see everyone out on the streets, even though I remember the weather being awful.

In terms of events, I'm mostly a fan of the diving and swimming, but I'm looking forward to seeing Murray in action in the tennis as well as the football

Anchorsam_9

Twitter:

Tasuki

@seanobi: I think Nintendo has some kind of deal with the IOCC cause the Mario and Sonic games for years now have been the "official" games of the Olympics since 2008 with Beijing IIRC. Kinda like EA with the NFL. Cause ever since the first Mario and Sonic I havent seen any other Olympic games.

My Backlog

Tasuki

@KratosMD: @seanobi: Ah thanks for the correction. I honestly didn't know that but Olympic video games aren't my thing. The last one I played was Mario and Sonic at the London Games and that was because my son wanted it.

Anyway Woman's Soccer started today including and Team USA has a game in about 3 hours so I will be looking forward to that. Right now it's Canada and Australia with Canada playing with a woman down.

My Backlog

Victor_Meldrew

Zero interest for the first time, the reasons are obvious. I'll still watch some Athletics and Gymnastics.

Victor_Meldrew

themcnoisy

The Lizzie Armistead situation has again proven why drugs in Sport around the world is beyond a joke. Regardless if she made an honest mistake for the missed test which has been overturned - of leaving her phone on silent (yeah right), the drugs checker not finding out her exact location (probably been sacked or disciplined cheers lizzie) and then performing at a UCI event the next day. Once - okay that can happen, we all make mistakes. But the ridiculous nature of the other 2 missed tests (basically lying about her mental state in one and missing another test after the first strike due to an admin error) should really raise eyebrows. Regardless of the rules, surely no one can say with 100% certainty this woman is clean.

If I was competing against her as a clean cyclist I would be fuming.

This is the reason I don't watch much of the olympics, its full of cheats. You cant believe what you are watching. I'm yet to see many top level performers come out and really take a stand against cheats and the ease of accessibility to peds which leads me to believe most of them are.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Tasuki

Really enjoyed the woman's Soccer matches today and look forward to the men's tomorrow. USA got its first win. XD

My Backlog

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.