Forums

Topic: Red Dead Redemption 2 OT

Posts 261 to 280 of 431

Kidfried

I'm totally yo-yo with this game, one moment it's the best thing ever, but a moment later it frustrates the heck out of me. However good the experience, it has also been the most frustrating experience of the year.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried What has been the most frustrating things for you? Just the weird controls and convoluted mechanics?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

andreoni79

@Kidfried Sorry to hear that. I was worried about controls and wanted system since early impressions were mixed, but I had no problem at all. The mechanics are a bit intimidating at first, but practice is the best solution. I had the same experience with Project Cars 2 and I'm glad I didn't quit since now I love both.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Kidfried

@Th3solution I find it very difficult to put in words what I dislike about some of the game's aspects. For me there's a lot of stress while playing this game. And because I make long days at work now, that's absolutely the last thing I want in a game.

Whenever I leave my horse I have to select what weapons to take with me. The game doesn't remember my last selected weapon, which is so strange. My least favorite moment every day is packing my stuff for work. Red Dead takes that moment and turns it into a game play element.

What happens rather often is that I'm hunting for a specific animal. And just when I'm in the right spot and I want to align my shot, I discover Arthur didn't bring his bow with me. Of course, that wouldn't have happened if I just did some inventory management every time I got from my horse, but... does that really sound fun or immersive to anyone?

There are way more examples like this one. And they're problematic for me, because they turn what could be great moments and turn them into dull ones.

Kidfried

Kidfried

@andreoni79 I have put more than 60 hours into this game already. I understand pretty much all mechanics, but I don't enjoy all of them.

It's the same thing I had with Breath of the Wild, which I had trouble enjoying, because I kept having to check my weapon condition and managing which one I kept and which one I removed. At first I found that overwhelming, then I found it challenging, but after a short while it began to feel like assembly line work.

Kidfried

JJ2

@Kidfried
I genuinely dont get it.
Its not so hard to hold L1 and see what weapons you carry just before leaving your horse. I do it everytime. For that matter it reminds me I have to figure out what I need and it can vary often.

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

roe

I guess it's difficult to please everyone because honestly some of the complaints you guys have are some of the things I love about the game. That doesn't mean your complaints are invalid, it's just different tastes I guess.

I'm getting toward the end of Chapter 3 now and have absolutely adored nearly all my time in the game world. There's plenty of small gripes I have and little bugs that have annoyed me, but the scope of the game is brilliant.

I don't find cleaning guns, or only being able to carry one animal carcus with me at a time boring at all. I find it rewarding, and I genuinely feel immersed in the game world when I'm playing. When I'm walking round camp and I'm watching the gang interact with one another, I'm in awe of this family they've created and how they've all come together.

I don't feel the need to rush at all so some of the mundane tasks it has you do don't feel out of place for me.

I can definitely see why the game is a miss for many people, but I'm hugely thankful Rockstar have created a game down this path as it's almost everything I've ever wanted from a game.

roe

JJ2

@roe
A trick I use for hunting is to have a couple extra temporary horses following me to carry more pelts.

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

Kidfried

@JJ2 You don't only need to press L1. You also need to go through the two rifle slots to select your weapon, because those are empty when I get off my horse.

But my biggest gripe is you need to remember all these small things constantly. You constantly need to memorize these things: "I shouldn't forget to x, I shouldn't forget to y, I shouldn't, etc." For me those small annoying moments start to add up at some point.

Also, my current situation plays into this. I am very busy with work and travel, leaving only short amount of gaming sessions, but Red Dead doesn't want to be a game for in-between.

@roe I like cleaning guns, I like carrying only one animal. Those are the things I like about the game actually. I believe that in earlier comments I've been defending those. And I really think that through those things they expanded on what games can be. Having a game be as slow as this one, was something this industry needed, especially in 2018.

The inventory management is just really bad. Stowing a dead alligator on your horse, then carrying it to camp before continuing is realistic and cool. But stuff like navigating through the wheel countless times to select a specific item I need is neither realistic nor fun. Nor is holding the right d-pad, going six categories to the right, then go by all documents to find the maps button, then finally selecting the treasure map you want to look at. Nor is finding the exact pixel to hitch your horse.

Stuff like that, which I can't imagine anyone finds fun.

Kidfried

Kidfried

@KratosMD I agree with you. Mostly because this is a game that lets you carry with you 12 bottles of booze in your pocket, aside from a plethora of meat, animal bones and a million of documents. This is also a game that lets you heal ten gunshot wounds to the chest with a single herb. So it's not like the game was ever consistent with regards to inventory realism.

(Also I, knowing this is not the right place but whatever, wanted to apologize shortly for a few days ago. I should have been less rude.)

Kidfried

JJ2

@Kidfried
I think it's just matter of getting used to it. I can understand if you have to stop playing for a while and needs to get back into it. The thing is not every one will favour the same weapons. I hardly ever use the bow, and depending on what I hunt or plan, different weapons are required. I also like having just revolvers like in town or else.
It's kind of a strategic choice for gun fights too.

Edited on by JJ2

Th3solution

@Kidfried I can understand where you’re coming from. The simulation parts can be great but the implementation leaves something to be desired. I haven’t played it as much as most of you all have, and I honestly still enjoy it, but I do crave a little more simplicity and streamlined gameplay sometimes when I’m playing it so I have taken breaks away from it so as to not get too frustrated. The problem is that the controls are so obscure at times and non-conventional (Square to jump? Really? Why does Rockstar have to go against convention? X is to jump in every other game. Square to reload, not circle....) that I don’t like being away from it too long because the controls get rusty and then I have to take an hour to get used to them again before I get back into a groove. Then a couple hours later I’m ready for a break because I rode my horse across the map for an hour to get to a waypoint and accidentally got a Bounty on me and the law is after me now and so I have to flee and never finished my task anyways. I keep thinking that eventually, maybe by hour 60, I’ll have the mechanics down pat and so it will all come second nature and I won’t accidentally hit my horse, catch on fire, or run over an old lady with my horse. I’m planning to stick it out.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

WanderingBullet

I've been playing this like it's a Cabela hunting game but it's pretty annoying that I have to keep using the item wheel everytime I want to use the binoculars. Also, I don't see why it's not possible to talk to NPCs just because Arthur's holding the binoculars.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Th3solution

@KratosMD I haven’t played RDR in years and I don’t play GTA games, so I didn’t realize it was standardized across their games. And in Rockstar’s defense, the button schemes can be adjusted in the settings, but I don’t want to change it and then end up more confused because all the guides I’ve seen refer to the default controls.
But it’s fine, every game has stuff that takes adjustment. Even though all the third person open world games I’ve played lately seem to have X to jump, triangle to talk or interact, Square to reload, L3 to sprint, touchpad for map, etc. there are always little quirks. Crouch was different however in each of the last 3 games I played.
My brain just doesn’t rewire as quickly as I’d like.

NecuVise

@Kidfried oh, this game is full of frustrations and I've articulated some of them before. The you mentioned is the one I also had. That's why I sold the game after completing 3 chapters. I must admit I feel urge to play it again, so I'll buy it on black Friday sale probably, but regardless, it's a game you want to love but it keeps making that hard with all those little things. Being unable to walk, having to press five times back from some menu to go back ingame or hold back button for five seconds (and what's the difference then), riding for five, ten minutes to get back to camp or quest giver, fast travel obstacles and so on and so forth. Oh, and many times we're like actors in main missions and not players as the games decides where we should stand, how to approach a mission, how to complete it, which way to take etc. We barely have any control in main missions. You stray only a few meters off the predestined path and it's instafail...

But again, I still have that urge to play it and see how it unfolds.

NecuVise

JJ2

@NecuVise
All your criticism is fair enough. It's funny I feel I had the same frustration when I played RDR original. I didn't like the controls and other things. Someone eventually spoiled the ending for me and I never finished it.
Maybe I personally evolved in what controls I like? In any case I feel this game us much more enjoyable with the controls its helps to tweaks things in the setting too. Ultimately its all personal how you feel but it's a shame to miss out because this is really a game where the devs could achieve their vision as a western game while last gen might have been limited by the hardware. Imo

I would add I feel people may have a different point of view depending on the way they like playing. If they like speed running through the story it's obviously not their type of game since its closer to rpg than action game I'd say.

Edited on by JJ2

Thrillho

Mapping “speak to person” and “aim gun” both to L2 certainly seems like an odd decision to me. It’s not happened often but people take exception to me pointing a gun at them when they start chatting to me.

The loadout thing annoyed me too to start with. I now select my weapons whilst on the horse and most of the time still have them equipped when I get off.

I did have one random mission where I died and then restarted with only my dawn off shotgun. It was a big shootout which made it rather difficult with only that!

Still loving the game though. Still on chapter 3!

Thrillho

Th3solution

So I’ve been trying to keep my honor (I think that’s the term the game uses) up and play as more of a “good guy.” I’ve got the slider at the bottom about 60-70% towards the right. But when you’re an outlaw, it is tough predicting what actions will be considered good and which are bad. Last night I was wandering around on my way to a quest marker and ran across a random event NPC (which happens more often than I’d like but whatever) and, long story short, the guy attacked me and started shooting me for no reason. I tried to run away but ended up just shooting him out of self defense. Then when I looted his body, because well.. why not, I lost honor points! I guess I was expected to run away and leave the body. I’m think I’m going to try to avoid conflict more and more to be sure I don’t accidentally lose honor. Later an escaped prisoner came up to me and asked for help getting his shackles off because otherwise he would die in the wilderness. I ran away while he yelled “Don’t just leave me! I’ll die out here!”, or something to that effect. I just wasn’t sure what the “right” thing to do was so I just left him. Then I was attacked by a gang on the road for no reason. I ran away — I’m just not sure how the game will interpret my actions sometimes, even if my actions seem justified. Obviously I don’t just rob people or stores or kill people randomly, but I think I’ll have to be a passivist during free roam when I’m not being forced to slaughter and rob people during the story missions 😂. Anyone else have success getting the honor all the way to the right?

Edited on by Th3solution

NecuVise

@Thrillho @Kidfried you can have a default loadout when you leave your horse but you need to do that at a gunsmith!

Take a look at this video, it's very useful. Don't skip on it!

10 Useful Things To Know That Will Make You A Much Better Outlaw In Red Dead Redemption 2! (RDR2)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JQjF9mxCaCM

NecuVise

NoCode23

RDR2 certainly feels more complicated than it needs to be. Somewhat overwhelming considering how much there is to learn with not much of a tutorial. Non intuitieve is also part of the problem. Like saving outfits and assigning 3 oufits to my horse storage is easy, but how do i access those oufits from my horse? Seems like that should be easy, but i can not figure it out.

One thing that works well and is easy as pie is the infinite gold bars trick i learned from a video. No grinding for me as $50,000 the easy way helps me to overlook some of this games poor features.

My decision now is that with $50,000, and still early in the game, should i quit and wait for a patch that will fix the graphics. The graphics patch should include options to disable: the weird dynamic dof, blur filter, volumetric light and gods rays needs regular, reduced, off options, less or disable dust in the air, and motion blur. At the very least the blur filter that makes the game always look out of focus to some degree needs removed.

Edited on by NoCode23

NoCode23

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.