Forums

Topic: Red Dead Redemption 2 OT

Posts 221 to 240 of 431

ApostateMage

@andreoni79 Make sure that they are 3 star grade rabbits. There's a lot that have only filthy 1 or 2 grade pelts to begin with. I had trouble with this for ages but for some reason I was using a bow with small arrows.

ApostateMage

NecuVise

@Kidfried I get fed up with the game when I have to make along trek to get to camp or quest giver. That's usually when I pause and go on with life duties so in a way it's useful for me but definitely not fun. It's like fast travel is nonexistent even though there are many fast travel options, but they are either far away or I have to pay huge amounts of money to get rid of bounties. I'm a guy who just doesn't like this in any openworld game and it's a game breaker for me usually. Wish it was different. If I were playing it on PC I'd probably download a mod to simplify fast traveling.

NecuVise

WanderingBullet

I don't like that the game spawns you somewhere else everytime you login into or reload the game.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Kidfried

@WanderingBullet I am okay with that actually. I do dislike that whenever I set up camp somewhere I'm transported somewhere else entirely. That bit is a bit immersion breaking for me.

Kidfried

NecuVise

@beemo rest mode is very useful for this game

NecuVise

NecuVise

@beemo I mean playstation 4 has rest mode so you can just continue where you left, there's no such thing in the game.

NecuVise

andreoni79

@kyleforrester87 Can I use any weapon to get a perfect pelt? I thought that was tied to the weapon the game suggests as the best one to get a clean kill.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

kyleforrester87

@andreoni79 I dunno to be honest best listen to what apostatemage said on that front, I just assumed it was down to the weapon. Obviously a shotgun isn't going to leave much left of a rabbit lol

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Th3solution

As best I can tell, if you die in the middle of a walk-about and are out exploring, hunting, etc, then you lose all the items you picked up since the end of the last actual mission you completed but you wake up in pretty much the same location that you died in, more or less.

Case in point: I had been lolly-gagging around collecting pelts and hunting meat and maybe a few other knickknacks across a huge chunk of the map, gradually making my way to camp to turn in some meat and hides, then I was sidetracked (minor spoiler follows for a random stranger event that I will tag just in case you don’t want to read about some of these little minor run-ins that you may not have seen yet)— when I saw a white “stranger” marker off in the woods. It was nighttime and I was close to camp, but I could hear talking and saw a fire so I decided to check it out and lo and behold — it was the KKK ordaining a new member. So I watched for a while waiting to see if they would attack, and they didn’t, but I just couldn’t resist so I just opened fire and slaughtered the lot of them but as I was walking around looting bodies afterward, I got too close to the burning cross and Arthur erupted in flames and died within seconds. It was very disheartening. Anyway, so I respawned in the same spot later in the day, but there was no sign of any scuffle and all my pelts and stuff I’d been hauling from the mountains for the last 2 hours was lost. The auto-save triggered upon death to there was no save to reload back before the conflict unless I went back to way before the last mission where I had a manual save.
So I guess let this be a precautionary tale to you all to manual save often if you are collecting things and on your way back to camp or town to exchange the stuff, lest you have an unfortunate death before you can cash in.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@andreoni79 To get perfect pelts, you need to find a 3* animal and use the appropriate weapon. If you hit R1 when in range, the game tells you what to use. Rabbits are taken out with the varmint rifle or small game arrows. The latter you need to craft yourself but the rifle is great and can easily be used whilst on your horse.

Snakes are the only thing I'm struggling to get clean kills on as arrows seem to not kill them in one hit and if it takes two arrows, the level of the pelt drops.

And @Th3solution I can at least reassure you that you don't lose legendary pelts if you die while carrying one. The game isn't that mean at least.

Thrillho

Thrillho

@andreoni79 Also, larger animals need clean kills with a rifle I think so it's worth picking up a decent rifle with a scope. The legendary animals normally need a few hits but I don't think you need to worry about perfectly clean kills as their pelts are only every legendary.

For bigger animals, you can also lasso them and then trigger a knife kill when you get up to them.

Thrillho

Kidfried

@Th3solution I actually decided to wait what would happen, though I was itching to use my revolver of course. This is what happened: the newly ordained member actually burns himself by walking to close to the cross and dies.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Haha! I can attest to the danger of that!

On a separate note, it sure is hard to keep from gaining a wanted level / bounty. I’ve been trying to play the game as law-abiding as can be, and trying to be a virtuous criminal, but I’ll hear someone shouting for help and then run to provide aid and then it turns into a firefight to free the person from the bandits and so I kill them and suddenly the lawmen are after me. It’s a no win situation. I’m just gonna ignore all those cries for help I think.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

WanderingBullet

@Kidfried Really? I haven't tried setting up camp, yet.

Oh yeah, should I only keep perfect pelts and sell the non-perfect ones until I find a Trapper? I'm looking at items that Pearson can craft and they all seem to require "perfect pelts".

Thrillho

@WanderingBullet Yeah, less than perfect pelts are good for a bit of cash but nothing else.

For me, the trapper was also found near the train station/post office just south of the camp near Valentine. I spent a lot of time going between camp and the trapper in chapter 2 to see if Pearson needed the pelt, if not then it went to the trapper as he needs perfect pelts as well as the legendary ones to craft stuff.

Thrillho

WanderingBullet

@Thrillho Thanks. Are Pearson's items worth crafting or should I save any perfect pelts I get for trappers?

Thrillho

@WanderingBullet The satchels from Pearson allow you to carry more stuff and each one seems to carry different things but I haven't got whats needed for any of them yet. The rest seems to be mainly cosmetic for the camp but I think raises your honour.

That said, the trapper only makes clothing which is also cosmetic (apart from the slight difference between gear for hot and cold weather) so you can easily avoid hunting altogether if you want.

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Thrillho There was an icon for the trapper when the game introduced the concept to me in Chapter 2, and it sounds like it was roughly where you describe. But the icon has disappeared for me. When will he show back up?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.