Forums

Topic: FORUM GOTY 2017 AWARDS

Posts 1 to 20 of 234

themcnoisy

Well this is a surprise, we are starting early this year.

The official goty wont start until the 2nd of December (SEE COMMENT 42).

This year prior and post the main event forum guru @kratosMD and I have a few polls to conduct.

First of all post your 2 biggest game disappointments available on any system. The bigger disappointment gets 2 points, the lesser of 2 evils gets 1 point. The disappointment criteria is as follows. A game which failed to live up to your own expectations, you can elaborate on your reasoning but please make the votes clear.

Post as below;

Mass Effect Andromeda - 2 points
Persona 5 - 1 point

They are the first votes cast. Vote away! Voting for the biggest gaming disappointment closes when the goty 2017 starts.

Edited on by themcnoisy

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Th3solution

@themcnoisy before I vote, just a clarification — does the game need to have come out in 2017? Or can it be from a prior year but I played it in 2017?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

themcnoisy

@Th3solution any game released in 2017.

Ralizah

Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy - 2 points (A huge step down in quality in every way for one of my favorite series... probably my only genuine disappointment this year)
Fast RMX - 1 point (not a bad game at all, but I just couldn't get into it)

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Tasuki

For Honor — 2 points

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild — 1 point

For Honor was a big disappointment for me the server issues played a big part in it . Most of the time it took me forever to get into a match and then once I did I was lucky if I didn't get booted mid way through the match. By the time they got the bugs worked out it was too late and I was onto other games.

As for Zelda I know I am probably going to get hate on this one but while it was fun for a bit it just got boring for me after awhile. The main thing that bugged me was the weapons breaking all the time just made combat feel to drawn out and having to switch weapons just broke the rythem for me. In the end it wasn't a bad game but it didn't live up to the hype for me which is why it's a disappointment.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

DerMeister

I didn't play too many games from 2017, so my disappointments will probably ruffle someone.

Tekken 7- 2 points
Sonic Mania- 1 point

As a big Tekken fan, I was massively disappointed with how the story mode went. It only really focuses on the rivalry of Heihachi and Kazuya Mishima, and while it did well on that front, the rest of the roster gets almost no time to shine, and it's hard to get invested if you don't particularly care for the Mishima family. Even series hero Jin gets the shaft during the story, while almost everyone else gets a one off joke fight. I felt very underwhelmed by the end, so much that despite good gameplay, it felt like more could've been done.

You probably stopped reading my post the instant you saw Sonic Mania, but I do think it's pretty good, just too samey. It's technically an anniversary title, so nostalgia was always going to be a selling point, but I felt like some more fresh zones would have helped. I'll definitely give it points for changing things up enough in the zones that did return, though. Just wish we had more Press Gardens than Green Hills.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Th3solution

I try to weed out the lemons and only spend my time on games that I am sure to enjoy. That said, the games I’m most disappointed in are the ones I ended up not buying because of the review and release information disclosing game issues that disappointed me to the point of never buying them — ie. Battlefront 2, Gran Turismo Sport, among others ....
But I didn’t end up buying and playing those so if I must vote for games that I have actually played, then those would be —

Drawn to Death — 2 points
Undertale — 1 point

Drawn to death was hyped way back at PlayStation Experience in 2014 and with David Jaffe at the helm it was an exciting new IP. The art and graphics style was so unique and innovative, really fascinating to look at, with the whole notebook drawings come to life. But perhaps Jaffe saw the writing on the wall that this would bomb and so tried to salvage it by giving it away on PS Plus. After a few hours of playing it I was pretty much over it, the community died quickly. After the game took 4 years to develop, it died a quick and quiet death, gasping its last breaths within barely a month of release. It was the anti-Rocket League, in that respect.
Undertale was actually released in 2015 on PC, but the PlayStation port released August of 2017, so I think it should count for this year. I was so intrigued by this game’s cult following on PC, that I actually preordered this as soon as the game was announced on the PlayStation Store. I knew very little about it, but I figured thousands of rabid fans can’t be wrong. Well, apparently they can. I gave up on it after 3 hours or so. It just didn’t hold my interest. It was a let down. Probably I’ll return to it someday and my opinion may change, but for now it’s a disappointment.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

PS_Nation

There is no such a thing as "official" game award, maybe Dice is closer to that status, but there is a blog called gotypicks that shows all the GOTY awards of magazines, sites, etc. The winner is the game with more GOTY awards of all. I'm not criticizing your topic though, here are my picks:

Ghost Recon Wildlands
Mass Effect: Andromeda

PS_Nation

Fight_Teza_Fight

Biggest disappointments...
Had to go through my trophy list, as I have played a lot of games this year. The two 2017 releases that stand out are:

Digimon World: Next Order- 2 points

Digimon returned to the West with Cyber Sleuth- one of my favorite games ever on vita. So when Next Order came over I picked it up Day 1. The game has you spend hours in a gym training your digimon, then taking them out for an hour to beat a boss. Rinse, repeat. But, oh wait your Digimon die. That's an inevitability. Then you start from scratch with some bonus points.
After 35 hours with the game, I traded it in for store credit.

South Park: The Fractured But Whole- 1 point

I'm a massive South Park fan (if you couldn't tell). So even though I enjoyed the game & got the platinum, I couldn't help but be disappointed.
The Stick of Truth is one of my favorite games of all time. It feels like your playing the TV show, whereas The Fractured But Whole feels like a game based on the TV show.
It was too much game for my liking. Weird, isn't?

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

AdamNovice

I like the term "disappointment cos frankly who's going to buy really bad games.
Anyway mine are

Superhot - like the idea but felt it didn't evolve past the concept.
Parappa the rapper HD - Love the music and characters but the input lag made it a real turn off, coupled with real lack of fan service features that could have been added. Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation fame said it best "If the game asks me to Crack Crack Crack The Egg one more time then I'm going to Crack Crack Crack your head on this plinth.

Edited on by AdamNovice

AdamNovice

Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

Hmm tough one.

Going with:

1) Archangel (PSVR) -2
2) Undertale -1

Archangle was an impulse buy because it looked awesome controlling a mech and it got OKish reviews but I hated the feel of it, even though the graphics and world and acting was ok. Never really got past the first couple of hours. So I didn't enjoy that one.

Undertale was a lovely game but I started it on the Vita and the controls for the bullet hell battles were tough and then I moved it over to PS4 but had lost interest. Great story and world, I like the game but I just got a bit bored with the combat.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

themcnoisy

@Octane We will go with any right now. Will edit the thread starter.

Octane

Alright.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 2 points
NieR: Automata - 1 point

BOTW felt the least ''Zelda'' of any Zelda game. I found the open world to be too big, bland and empty. Too little enemy variety (least amount of enemies in a 3D Zelda game, but in the biggest world yet). No unique dungeon themes. Copy-paste boss designs. The shrines were too simple and short. Too many combat and reward shrines. I disliked the combat system, I ended up actively avoiding most enemies, because the rewards were pointless, and it was not worth damaging your weapons for a handful of lacklustre rewards. Bad voice acting. Side quests weren't great either. Terrible final boss. The infinite climbing and ''go anywhere'' approach ruined any sense of linearity, world design and progression IMO. Sounds great on paper, but didn't work for me.

And I just couldn't get into NieR. Not sure if it was the setting, the story, not for me I guess. I never beat it, but I still want to give it another try some day.

goes hiding in a corner...

Octane

kyleforrester87

@Octane No words.

Anyway! My two disappointments..

Wolfenstein 2 - 2 Points
Destiny 2 - 1 Point

Sure, I played some worse games, including games that were meant to be great that I didn't love (i.e Undertale) but these two I was quite looking forward to but they didn't meet expectations.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Nei

My two disappointments :

Persona 5 - 2 points (too safe, it felt more like playing a HD remaster than a new game, formulaic and predictable, lacking any substantial innovation)
Mass Effect Andromeda - 1 point (it could have been so much more, I don't hate it though...it's just disappointing they couldn't deliver on their strongest IP)

Edited on by Nei

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

roe

I'm not sure I've had much disappointment gaming wise this year. It's been such a great year. Just having a look at my list and I've bought 33 new games in 2017 and I honestly can't say I've played a bad game among them. But for what it's worth..

Hidden Agenda (2 points) - I still like the title overall but after how good Until Dawn was a few years ago, for the same studio to be churning out somewhat mediocre experiences now is a little disappointing.

PaRappa the Rapper Remastered (1 point) - a weird one because PaRappa was never a great game to begin with. Again, I still liked playing this one (enough to get the platinum for it) but there's a few things they could've fixed and some of the timing for the button presses are even worse than the original game.

roe

get2sammyb

It's been a great year, but my picks for disappointments:

Mass Effect Andromeda (2 points): I kinda thought it was okay but boring at first, but the more I played the more I absolutely started to despise it. It's not a terrible game, I will still accept that, but as someone who isn't even all that hot on Mass Effect in the first place, I couldn't finish it.

Matterfall (1 point): It was okay, but I expect excellence from Housemarque, and this is their worst game in a long time.

Edited on by get2sammyb

BAMozzy

Mass Effect: Andromeda - 2pts - considering the excellent trilogy that came before, this was a big disappointment. Its not the 'worst' game but considering the expectation, the lore etc and the game we got, It was my biggest disappointment this year.

Star Wars: Battlefront 2 - 1pt - Again, the big disappointment here was the expectation and game we finally got. The Campaign was short, disjointed etc and the MP feels 'smaller' with less modes. Gone is the Horde mode and replaced by 'Arcade' which is just an expanded version of the 'training' missions from their first. All in all, considering they promised it was 3x bigger, it actually feels smaller. The loot box implementation too has had a big and negative impact on the MP as well.

It was difficult to put these in order as both were 'disappointing' but I think SW:BF2 could redeem itself over the coming season with new additional content - inc SP too and the game-play in MP is improved over the previous game overall.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.