Forums

Topic: Destiny 2 - Guardians Unite

Posts 101 to 120 of 308

BAMozzy

@Hego Destiny's Lore does go quite deep but like a lot of games - some of that is hidden away within 'books'. Games like Halo, Killzone and Gears for example, didn't bog you down with the lore but you can buy books to find out more. Some brief alluding to the circumstances leading up to the point you start playing, but its not a history lesson, going in depth about the conflicts etc that last a minute or two. Some dialogue may speak of past battles, past encounters between characters - usually to had 'depth' to the relationship of the main and supporting character. For example talking about 'some' battle and 'reminiscing' to show the two had 'history' together.

Most FPS games with a campaign, that story is 'everything'. The first chapter is the introduction and 'training' level to get you acquainted with the 'basics' and then off you go. At the end, its 'finished'. Time to either move on or play MP (if that's your thing). Your MP character though is completely separate from your 'story' character, start off at level 1 with basic 'gear' and then 'progress' through the MP Leveling.

Destiny is not a typical FPS. Its part MMO, part RPG and part FPS. Its not like a full RPG like Fallout, or MMO like Runescape or FPS like Halo. What the story does is set you up to understand the world you are in, understand the enemy and types, where they can be found and also introduce you to the state of the Solar System - your 'playground'. It has reasons to return daily, weekly etc as well as opportunities to play solo or as a group, co-operatively or competitively but the Story is nothing more than an introduction and the 'end' is more just the beginning of what Destiny is. Destiny still has a beginning and an 'End' as far as Story goes. In D1 though, those 'mission's' were nothing more than 'mini' strikes - get to the end and either defeat a boss or hold out against a few waves. Partly because these also had to double up as the 'daily' end game mission and you wouldn't want to hear lines and lines of dialogue over and over again, have hour long daily missions, but they also all had to scale up similarly for end game content. You couldn't have a mission that was all dialogue with a bit of stealth to get through 'undetected' and then another mission which was just the climax of all the enemies converging on you - one that basically was a 'walkthrough' and another which was 'brutal' at the 'end' of the game that when scaled up for 'end game' were completely different for the 'same' reward(s). I think that is why D1 was criticised for having little dialogue and 'similar' missions because they were primarily designed as 'end game' and tied together with a narrative that introduced you to the mechanics, the worlds and the enemy types. You also had to remember the game was built for last gen too and whilst these 'worlds' were quite large, they were broken up into sections with 'narrow' and/or empty linking pathways to load the next area in with the older gen hardware. These worlds in D2 seem far more complex, larger and more densely filled. I don't feel like I have seen every thing the EDZ has to offer, let alone the other worlds. I still have a number of activities on EDZ to finish although I too have beaten the story and reached level 20 on one character.

Despite the lack of content Destiny was accused of lacking, I still spent a 'crazy' amount of time playing it - before any Expansions arrived. Even the Dark Below content occupied more time than the Witcher 3 GotY edition has. Not saying it's better though but there was sufficient content and reason to keep returning to it time and time again - long after beaten the 'story'.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Splat

I love Hand Cannons.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

kyleforrester87

I hated hand cannons last time round and never used them but trying to mix it up this time round and I'm really liking them too now.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Mega-Gazz

@Splat @kyleforrester87 I never liked them in the first game on account of running out of ammo too fast, and missing a shot being too "expensive", also reload time. Most of them this time are kinda "okay", but their range kinda sucks. Most of the time a scout rifle is better than a HC in every way I find....

Except the Sunshot exotic hand cannon which is fantastic... nice fast reload and the explosive rounds was always a favorite. It also has better range than most HCs.

Mega-Gazz

Mega-Gazz

@kyleforrester87 the chest piece needed 4 shards... legendary iirc? I'm still lvl 15, on account of being indecisive.

Mega-Gazz

Splat

Yeah, the Sunshot is the one I have too. It's really awesome.

Hego

Any tips for the best way to grind for light level? Heard some people mentioning public events being the way to go

Hego

PSN: Duke-of-Styria

Splat

I just want to play.

Mega-Gazz

FINALLY finished the campaign and hit 20. Ridiculous amount of loot all at once between quest, gunsmith, clan, and planet factions giving engrams all at once.

Mega-Gazz

Splat

I'm still a bit confused on how infusion works? I know you can only infuse the same type of item like hand cannon to hand cannon but does it have to be rare to a rare or legendary to legendary?

Edited on by Splat

kyleforrester87

@Splat Nope you can (and should) infuse higher power rare stuff you get into your legendaries and exotics. Thats why blue engrams stay useful.

It just has to be higher power and of the same type.

I took my Sunshot exotic up to 215 power using a legendary hand canon yesterday. When I get any other higher power hand canon I'll keep doing it.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

Splat

The Sunshot is the main reason I'm asking. I don't want to give it up haha.

Mega-Gazz

@kyleforrester87 I didn't think it had to be the same weapon type? I'll check later. Armor definitely has to be the same slot.

Mega-Gazz

kyleforrester87

@Mega-Gazz
Untitled

At least with weapons it needs to be "of the same type" - I did have a couple of legendary guns that were higher spec than my exotic hand canon but it would only let me infuse my exotic hand canon with a legendary hand canon. So if you wanna bring sunshot forward, you'll want to collect high power hand cannons! (Blue or legendary, or another exotic type. Maybe even green?! I think its the power that counts!)

In Destiny 1 you could infuse with any other type of gun as long as it was higher power.

I believe its the same for armour too. I had a couple of legendary pieces, and an exotic chest and it only let me infuse with my legendary chest.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

@Splat The good thing is you can infuse exotics with legendary shards this time round. I'm not even sure D2 has exotic shards???

kyleforrester87

Mega-Gazz

Have you guys tried the swords? Any preference between them? Seems some let you move faster, some regen ammo, some have lunge, etc.

Mega-Gazz

Splat

I finally started giving Strikes a chance and had some good fun. I still haven't tried a Nightfall one yet tho.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.