Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 861 to 877 of 877

Thrillho

@nessisonett I loved the first DS game and thought the second was okay. Never bothered with the third.

I also played DS1 through with just the plasma cutter, like @ApostateMage, and that made it even more fun/tense. Playing with other weapons after that was just too easy!

Thrillho

nessisonett

The plasma cutter is one of my favourite weapons in any game, it feels so good to use. It’s a shame that the flamethrower’s a bit rubbish, I spent all my credits on it!

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

kyleforrester87

@nessisonett Yeah the Plasma Cutter is always useful, some of the guns and alternate fire modes in DS1 are a bit sucky (did anyone ever use the alternative fire for the assault rifle?)

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Kyroki

Octopath Traveler on the switch. Been really enjoying it so far. Only about 25-ish hours in and not even started anyone's chapter 2 yet...

Add my PSN: Kyr0ki_
Follow me on Twitter: @Kyr0ki
Twitch.tv/Kyr0ki

PSN: Kyr0ki_ | Twitter:

KratosMD

Started playing Spec Ops: The Line on PS3 today. After having finished Jak II now after letting it sit in my PS3 for a year, I can finally move on to other PS3 games and so I decided to play Spec Ops since I've been in a mood for a shooter and I've heard that the story is quite good. So far the game is pretty cool, I'm loving the desert setting in post-apocalyptic Dubai. The characters are your bog-standard American soldiers but the thing that makes this game interesting is all the choices you make throughout the story. An hour in you'll encounter other American soldiers which will open fire against you and you need to take them out, which makes you question why the heck American soldiers are killing each other. I haven't played further than that, but I'm very much looking forward to the rest of the story now.

I've also been playing more Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls on Vita and I just got done with chapter 3. The ending of this chapter seriously took a weird turn into inappropriate topics and just in general very awkward events. It's definitely interesting that the developer decided to put this stuff in, but it kinda makes it awkward to play the game because of that. I mean, it isn't anything new that Danganronpa tends to bring up dark topics in the games but maybe they've gone a bit far now. Or one could see it as a good thing that the developer isn't sugarcoating reality and how life actually is for certain individuals. Either way, I'm interested to see where the story goes from here on out.

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

ApostateMage

The worst game of the trilogy, Mass Effect 3. My Shep opening her trap all the time without any input from the dialogue wheel just breaks the foundation on what Mass Effect was built upon. And most of the writing is awful compared to ME2.

ApostateMage

KratosMD

Started playing Trauma Center: Second Opinion on Wii today. So far it's been surprisingly very fun to play! I really like the control scheme; you switch between your tools with the Nunchuck's control stick and you control everything with the Wii remote's pointer as well as the A and B buttons. It's a very simple control scheme but I like the fact that you need to remember to do the steps in a certain order. It makes for a very addicting play experience, on top of a captivating storyline with interesting characters. Speaking of which, the art style of the characters heavily reminds me of the Persona/Shin Megami Tensei art style, which isn't surprising since the game is made by Atlus. I think that's definitely going to help me like the characters even more though.

Also, the music is great and the overall package just feels like a blast to the past to those early DS/Wii games. I'm loving it so far!

KratosMD

nessisonett

Hades is absolutely brilliant, possibly the best rogue-like I’ve ever played alongside BoI and Tales of Maj’Eyal. Setting, charm, depth, it really does have it all. I’ve never played any Supergiant games before but now I’m definitely going to check out Transistor and Bastion. I hope Hades comes on PS4/5 since it’s hitting the big 1.0 next update.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

LN78

@nessisonett Don't forget to try "Pyre" as well - it's absolutely fantastic.

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 Yeah, they seem to have a pretty impressive back catalogue, every single game they’ve made has been critically acclaimed. I can see why though, they definitely know how to make a game ooze style.

KratosMD

So I'm more than halfway through Spec Ops: The Line now and I just did a very horrific mission where you drop white phosphorus on top of dozens of soldiers, and then on dozens of civilians. For those of you that don't know, white phosphorus literally burns you alive and there's no way of getting rid of it once it starts burning your body except for trying to suffocate those areas so that it can't burn without oxygen. It's supposedly a very painful and unethical weapon of warfare and it was absolutely heartbreaking and gut-wrenching watching the main characters walk through a corridor with a lot of civilians who were burned to death, almost like a nuclear weapon was dropped on them. Sort of like those creatures you find in Fallout 3. It was absolutely terrible and I just had to stop for a moment to contemplate on what has just happened. I didn't feel like continue playing, but at least the game didn't have another moment like that so far.

It definitely makes for a memorable moment, but that's honestly not what I want to see in a video game. All I want to do now is to play a colourful Nintendo game to help cheer me up.

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

nessisonett

@KratosMD Yep, I was waiting for you to get to that moment. The whole game’s a superb deconstruction of classic FPS tropes and really does make you stop and think. Not many games make me contemplate whether or not to play on because I just don’t trust the main character to make the right decisions and not force me into essentially committing heinous acts of cruelty.

KratosMD

@nessisonett I'm gonna be honest though, the choices I've made with Walker so far have been matching the ones he has been making himself. For example, I decided to sacrifice the civilians in order to save Gould (who I thought could help save more lives instead of we risk losing him, which we did anyway) and I chose to kill the soldier when you had a choice between killing a soldier, a civilian or do nothing (since the soldier killed several people when the civilian only stole some water, and I didn't want to not make a choice because when I've done that in other games, such as AC: Odyssey, I was punished with both characters dying instead of only one, so I felt like I had to make a choice, otherwise both would have been killed). I would've chosen to use white phosphorus on the soldiers as well since I didn't know there were civilians there.

I made these choices based on how I personally would've handled the situation in real life. In real life you can't just reload to a recent checkpoint whenever you want to start over, you need to take advantage of every opportunity given to you. At least that's how I see it.

KratosMD

nessisonett

@KratosMD It just does such a good job of making you really think about the choices you’re making. I’m not a fan of when games spell out the consequences of your actions as like you say, there’s no do-overs in real life.

RogerRoger

Despite my "I really should stay away from superheroes for a while" mood, I've started playing the Nintendo DS version of Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions as something to fill an odd half-hour here or there. It's a cute little 2.5D Metroidvania which successfully translates the charm, wit and quality of its home console counterpart to the small screen(s). There are the obligatory touchscreen minigames, of course, and it's been a while since I've played my DS so I'm forgetting which buttons are which, but I had great fun playing through its first three chapters and testing out its trio of Spider-Men earlier. Definitely worth the wait caused by delayed shipping, and the slight premium I paid to track down a new copy.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

crimsontadpoles

Cuphead. I'm really enjoying it so far. It's a challenging game, but in a good way. Each of the bosses seem daunting at first, but they start to become more bearable with practice and once you start getting used to their attacks.

Practice makes perfect at this game. There is a helpful meter that shows up whenever the player dies, showing them exactly how far they were through the battle. This lets the player see how close they were to winning, as well as showing that they're improving.

The biggest positive with this game is the art style. The 30's animation visuals look so fluid, and the developers have clearly poured a lot of creativity into it. This is also true for the character designs. The weird and wacky characters have a lot of charm to them.

nessisonett

Out of the Park Baseball 21 is now on Game Pass PC. There goes the rest of my weekend, time to put the Yankees in their place by continuing my 1939 save file and getting Ted Williams and Jimmie Foxx the titles they deserve.

@crimsontadpoles Cuphead is brilliant, it’s a real shame it isn’t on PS4. The mechanics just work really well together and it has heaps of charm.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic