Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 861 to 880 of 1,988

RogerRoger

@nessisonett It was an unfortunate victim of GTA3. Naughty Dog saw the early success of gritty open worlds and wanted to do one of their own, but they were under obligation to deliver a sequel to the first Jak & Daxter (which already had a seamless open world, albeit more of a traditional one) so they mashed their poor characters into a setting which, frankly, doesn't fit them.

The city is atrocious to traverse, on any platform. I'm surprised that the PS Vita version is as ropey as you describe, given how the games had already been remastered for PS3 at that point, but even a smooth framerate and a proper controller in-hand don't help that much.

Jak 3 is a better blend of both its predecessors, from what I recall, although it's been a while.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I played GTA 3 earlier in the year and it honestly holds up. The world is varied and has stuff to do in it. The problem is that there’s just nothing to do in Jak 2’s city. Plus I hate the weird edgy new Jak in the cutscenes. Plus I hate Daxter with every fibre of my being. It’s like they took everything I enjoyed about the first game and made it worse!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett I didn't mind Jak's voice (honestly, it's pretty much how I'd imagined it) but I minded what he said with it, agreed. The whole "torture made me a badass" thing isn't handled well, at all.

Did you hate Daxter in the original? I found him the most consistent element amidst all the changes!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Daxter was somewhat more tolerable in the first game because his ‘jokes’ were mostly along the lines of him being stuck in his ottsel body. In Jak II, every cutscene is full of him literally slobbering over the slightest hint of a female character as the camera pans over some polygonal nightmare character. Or he calls some character fat, or ugly or whatever, it’s just tiring. I’m not a massive fan of the whole ‘quip’ writing style to be honest but this is many layers below something like Uncharted or a Whedon TV show. I have loads of gripes with the gameplay but oh man, the plot is just as bad. When the game is about 30% actual gameplay, 50% smashing into everything on an unwieldy vehicle and 20% cringeworthy cutscenes filled with edgy Jak and Daxter the toxic rat, I just can’t enjoy it. I kinda want to push through and hope the third is better though.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett That's... actually a fair point. Which I hadn't really considered before. I guess I just accepted it as part of Daxter's whole schtick as a Roaring 20s fast-talkin' stereotype.

God, I really wanna replay Jak 3 now. I'm worried that I might be misremembering it!

Making It So Since 1987

MIjinamo

I've been playing Skyrim for a very long time.

Every fantasy fanatics wet dream, kill dragon's, slay beast's, huge range of weapons and magic to use against foe.

Not to mention a rich environment/landscape to traverse with ruins and caves to discover. Loads to discover and hours of gameplay to sink your teeth into so you will definitely get your money's worth especially with special edition adding all dlc.. not to mention the choice to add mods and creation club to open the game up even more.

You really do feel immersed in the world of Skyrim as you progress into the story and side quests.

Yeah there's bugs and glitches but this adds a certain character and asthetic to the world which is why I love it even more.

This is a must have in the games collection for avid RPG and fantasy fans!

I've been playing games for 6 years. I have recently started college. In my spare time, I like to play games like WoW Classic and FIFA 21 but I hate farm game currency myself. If you also like these games, well, we'll be good friends!

carlos82

@MIjinamo its funny Skyrim has been brought up and I was just talking about it last night whilst talking about open worlds. With Cyberpunk launching and its Open World being described as window dressing as basically they all are and have been for a very long time.

Skyrim is the one which still sticks out, there is no set path you are forced down, side and main quests are seemingly treated as equals and you can literally head in any direction and find your own adventure, I've started quests just by stumbling across a seemingly random book. Then there's all the towns, I think you can explore every building, talk to most npc's and there are often meaningful consequences for your actions.

Its crazy to think that this game is nearly 10 years old and since then open world design has just gone backwards if anything

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

carlos82

@kyleforrester87 possibly, its a long time ago now and I can't quite remember. That would be even more ironic given how open worlds have gone much further backwards in those regards since then. Now it's often just go to the marker and there's basically nothing to do anywhere else in the world until that is done. I lost count on the amount of times in Skyrim I was given a quest to retrieve an item that I already found

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

Thrillho

@carlos82 I like that some games now realise you might already have the item and tinker with the dialogue to acknowledge it.

Thrillho

Anti-Matter

Final Fantasy IX Switch.
The Hunt Festival is begin.

Anti-Matter

nessisonett

@carlos82 @kyleforrester87 Yep, Skyrim tones down the RPG freedoms compared to Morrowind and Oblivion. I finished Morrowind last month and was blown away by how fresh it feels. It did almost everything right about 10 years before open worlds properly took off on console. Games like Cyberpunk, GoT, Spider-Man, they have an illusion of freedom compared to Morrowind. Breath of the Wild owes a lot to it as well.

carlos82

@kyleforrester87 cracking game Deus Ex, I'm gonna have to add it to my PS2 shopping list

carlos82

@kyleforrester87 will do, I forgot how many great games were on PS2 and most are only a pound or two

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 @carlos82 I completely forgot that Deus Ex and Half Life were on PS2. Both masterpieces in their own right but games I’ll always associate with PC.

kyleforrester87

@nessisonett @carlos82 I read back in the day that Deus Ex on PS2 was soso, never actually played it on console myself, but Half Life was brilliant (it taught me to use 2 analogue sticks, I remember it being horrible at first thinking I’d never get used to it) Also a big fan of Red Faction 1 and particularly 2.

Never played Black, I heard that was good.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 The PC version of Deus Ex is still up there with my favourite games of all time, alongside Thief 2. Not that I’m old enough to remember playing them when they came out but we had a PC growing up and my dad had games like those, Oblivion and then like Zoo Tycoon and Rollercoaster Tycoon. Plus Deus Ex gave the world the Mega64 video which is iconic.

Untitled

carlos82

@kyleforrester87 @nessisonett reading the reviews its not as good as the PC version but I've never got on with a mouse and keyboard and I remember playing a little bit on console and it played well.

Black is a really good shooter, I think its from the Burnout people and has plenty of destructible objects. I picked up Timesplitters 2 the other day and its so much fun

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic