Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 881 to 900 of 1,986

nessisonett

@carlos82 Oh man, Timesplitters 2 was probably my most played game as a kid. I was totally spoiled with the sheer amount of content and fun to be had, I don’t think I’ve found a shooter with so much to do since. Although Siberia’s red room and Notre Dame were terrifying back then, they seem a bit dodgy now!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

Deus Ex is a fiddle on PS2. I tried starting it last year (got the PS2 Classic on PS3) and couldn't muster the motivation to clear the Statue of Liberty. Whether that was the fault of the port, or simply my patience, is up for grabs but I wouldn't call it a good fit for console. I found the controls needlessly convoluted and the presentation lacking. I need to give its story more time to grab me, I think, because then I'd be prepared to put up with its technical shortcomings.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Considering the PC version uses more than half the keyboard, I dunno how they managed to put it onto console.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett There were a couple of PC games which made it to console and suffered the same fate. The controls for the original Rainbow Six on PSone were notoriously convoluted (going for a "combo" approach, meaning you ended up pressing two or three buttons simultaneously to do simple actions like open doors or reload). Other ports which managed to simplify the controls, like Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force on PS2, ended up compromising the experience in order to do so.

It's why I never finished Half-Life. I got the PS2 port and found it wonky at best. Traded it back in for MGS2 and Medal of Honor: Frontline the following week, and had a much better time!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I had Medal of Honor: Frontline on the Cube and the cheats were amazing. You could put hats on every enemy that ended up being more elaborate as the game went on, leading to Nazis in hot dog suits, with life sized windmills on their heads and fighter planes on their heads! The game was actually really good as well, I loved the campaign and the soundtrack was excellent too. Plus you could play as a granny with a shotgun in the multiplayer while extremely harrowing music played.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett All kinds of hilarious stuff, absolutely... but you've also just described why I kinda stopped playing Medal of Honor games after Frontline. In its pair of PSone games, I appreciated the archival context and genuine attempt to teach a little bit of WW2 history, and the franchise's sincere association with the actual Medal of Honor Society. Frontline was the last to strike a decent balance; it had cool bits of silly to laugh about in the playground, but you learnt something on your way to see them. I got the impression later games were just mindless blasters.

You're absolutely right about Michael Giacchino's soundtracks, though. They were always sublime. The haunting music that plays during the first Operation: Market Garden level, amidst all the windmills and haystacks, still gives me chills to this day.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger My favourite track from that game’s soundtrack is probably Arnhem, honestly that soundtrack blows games from this generation out of the water. It’s a level of quality that you’d expect from something like Band of Brothers, which is still my gold standard when it comes to WW2 media. I really should go back and play the PS1 games as I have great memories of Frontline.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett I was disappointed to discover that the PSone originals don't play perfectly on PS3, they lose sound effects on random levels, but at least the music is intact. I think they're okay on a PS2 Slim, so I should go on a Memory Card hunt at some point.

And yeah, it's no surprise that Giacchino has gone on to major Hollywood success. "Arnhem" is unquestionably beautiful; my runner-up to the aforementioned "After the Drop".

I've never watched Band of Brothers (he types, hanging his head in shame).

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Yeah, it’s one series that I can’t really play on Vita unless I find one of those L2/R2 grips for a decent price so I’d have to play it on my PS2 as well!

RogerRoger

@nessisonett You've got me wanting to replay them now!

Making It So Since 1987

edusoares

Currently We happy Few on Series S. Just finished Uncharted 4 last week (Played all 4 uncharted games in sequence). I'll get back to play Gears 5 when the new campaing releases, I guess it releases tomorrow (15th December 2020), I'm excited to get back to Gears.

edusoares

GhostofJettatura

Cyberpunk 2077 60FPS, Ray Tracing, No Issues. PC version is the definitive version.

GhostofJettatura

nessisonett

Finished Mission 4 there in Medal of Honor (there are multiple levels in each mission, I’m not that slow!) and really enjoying it. The levels are large and varied with plenty of Nazis to shoot in their polygonal faces. I particularly enjoy the undercover levels where you wave a surprisingly sophisticated looking passport at guards to show that you come in peace. The stealth isn’t bad at all, even if everything can go wrong very very quickly. Enemies have a tendency to throw grenades at you indoors which can result in an instant game over. It’s one life and you’re gone as well, starting back at the beginning of the level. So difficult but doable which seems OK to me.

Edit: Oops, forgot to give you a tag there @RogerRoger!

Edited on by nessisonett

Thrillho

@nessisonett Is that the original PS1 game?

That was quite a revolutionary game at the time. I remember the first level let you throw a grenade through the window of a building which was incredible at the time! I also remember that enemies would throw themselves on grenades too.

Those undercover sections were good fun too and, like you said on the previous page, there were some fun cheats for the game too..

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho Yep, the original PSX one. It’s amazing how well it holds up to be honest, it feels like a proper missing link between Doom style games and the early COD games. Obviously PC had Half-Life and stuff but consoles took another generation to catch up for the most part.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett I had a quick go on medal of honour PS1 via emulation a little while back and I thought it was pretty good. I really liked Frontline and Rising Sun on GameCube back in the day so I've been curious about the other entries. The best thing about emulating the PS1 game was remapping the controls so it played like a modern dual analog shooter. Naturally it's not actually analog but mapping the movement and camera to the sticks made it a lot more familiar in terms of control.

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny Yeah, Frontline was brilliant on GameCube. I actually found a control setting in the original game that has the familiar controls we’re used to with FPS games, no remapping necessary!

ralphdibny

@nessisonett oh nice one! I probably over complicated it as usual haha. I seem to remember mapping strafe from the shoulder buttons to left/right on the left stick

See ya!

RogerRoger

So, my memory betrayed me. Medal of Honor: European Assault is pretty bad.

It's one I've played before, but back when I was a poor student, so couldn't really complain. A little research reveals that it's the awkward middle child of a franchise struggling to pivot after its first major misstep (the buggy Rising Sun, to which a planned sequel had been cancelled) whilst looking to the dawn of a new console generation, it being 2005 an' all.

As a result, it's short. Really short. I've been playing it for two hours, and I'm on the penultimate mission of the campaign. The only reason I didn't stick it out 'til the end is because, to compensate for its brevity, there's a sudden and merciless difficulty spike. With zero checkpoints throughout, death is more of a frustration than a punishment, and I just didn't fancy playing the same fifteen-minute shootout all over again (especially when I encountered a particularly savage glitch, in which a tank I'd just blown to scrap sprang back to life and mowed me down).

There are also signs of a series forgetting its original purpose. The "story" (if you can call it that) has been streamlined out of existence, and a bunch of new mechanics are introduced to see what sticks. Worst is an adrenaline system which grants temporary invincibility and unlimited ammo, allowing you to surge forward like Duke Nukem after a bag of Haribo. Makes for some cracking FPS madness, but it's about as historically accurate as a giant enemy crab.

Even the rudimentary ability to direct three squadmates around the battlefield falls short, as they routinely ignore your commands and blunder straight into enemy fire, jeopardising your end-of-level bonus score for keeping them alive (not that I'm really bothered about collecting all of the unlockable medals; they merely grant you a couple of fuzzy JPEGs to hang in a sub-menu).

I'll give it another shot tomorrow and see if I can be bothered to see out the story, but if it chucks another undead tank my way, I'll probably walk away for good. Oh well.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic