Forums

Topic: User Impressions/Reviews Thread

Posts 301 to 320 of 3,148

Thrillho

@RogerRoger Nice write up. I quite liked the different style!

I loved the original game and it's nuts that it was back on the PS2! I also played one of the versions on the PSP too so always wanted a new game. I have always been intrigued by BF2 but the original lack of a single player mode and the controversies put me off. I'd heard very little about the changes they've made since and some of the game modes sound fun but I think I've missed the boat on this now with so many other games to play first.

Thrillho

Gremio108

@RogerRoger Awesome write up, funny and very useful - I keep seeing this game cheap and I'm always tempted to pick it up. I might bite at some point.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

@Ralizah @Thrillho @Gremio108 Thanks for the feedback, folks! Real kind of you!

Whilst there is now a solid selection of single player and co-op options, make no mistake that its best modes and primary focus is still online multiplayer.

If any of you do bite and would like a guide / wingman, track me down. I'm always up for a round or two.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Ralizah ...and just because my words wouldn't do it justice.

Not my gameplay. Just found it on YouTube. When I played it for the first time, with @KALofKRYPTON the other night, it was a much more panicked and terrifying affair!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger That's... kind of bizarre. I wonder why they made that mode so creepy?

@KratosMD Nice review of ToCSIII. The battle system sounds surprisingly involved (moreso than Trails in the Sky, anyway). It's a pity we haven't seen an official release of the Crossbell games outside Japan.

A bit leery of that card game, though, if only because I've yet to find one in an RPG that I've actually enjoyed (found Gwent kind of confusing, and the card game in FFIX was boring).

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah I think it panders to the PewDiePie crowd; a mode you can play whilst screaming at a camera, racking up millions of views (or at least, attempting to). Still cool, though!

@KratosMD Now that's a review, and then some! Was wondering if you'd write one, given your effusive praise of the game in other topics around the forum. Glad you did, as it's always nice to share in somebody's discovery of a new all-time favourite.

It's a shame that the world-building and lore is the game's biggest strength and yet also its worst barrier for new players. I love when a series can continue its story with such depth and shorthand for its long-term fans (Metal Gear springs to mind) but when you've been doing it for eight games, it's bound to get a little cumbersome. Maybe this is why Final Fantasy has achieved more success, given that (as far as I understand it) each game is a relatively-standalone story?

Your descriptions, coupled with well-chosen screencaps, are nevertheless very effective in conveying the basics of what's going on, and why players would be doing what they're doing. You'd make a good spokesperson for the series (and that's even before I'd heard those fantastic BGM tracks)! Thanks for sharing your passion, and for the enjoyable read!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KratosMD That's why I mentioned Final Fantasy, as you'd made the comment elsewhere about its increasing popularity in the face of this series' relative obscurity. If you're happy to go looking for more unusual games and then coming here to write about them, you'd be performing a valuable service! Can't wait to read about the next hidden gem you discover!

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@KratosMD Brilliant review. Your passion for the series is great. If Cold Steel III is the peak of the series so far I'd better get a move on with the first two! 😂

@RogerRoger Bit late, but I enjoyed your review and its humourous layout. It's encouraging how far Battlefront II has come on since launch. I do feel for the developers that for many gamers it won't shake that initial image. Unfortunately the blame lies solely with EA - corporate geed shouldn't dictate game design.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@mookysam Thank you! Yes, EA has a lot to answer for this past generation. I just try to think of DICE, and not EA, when playing and it makes me feel a whole lot better!

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@RogerRoger I like to think it was the EA overlords who insisted on Mirror's Edge Catalyst's open world. Fingers crossed that the response to Jedi: Fallen Order encourages them to change gears.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@mookysam Yuck, yes... had forgotten about that. They've made so many bone-headed moves, it's difficult to keep track of them all, but Mirror's Edge Catalyst was such a mistake!

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Holy moly @RogerRoger just saw the Ewok Hunt vid you posted! Words really don't do it justice on how creepy the mode is! I love it! 😂

I think that's the first 10/10 I've seen in the review threads @KratosMD.Glad you enjoyed it so much, I think everyone can see your enthusiam and excitement behind every typed word!

If Falcom needs a spokesman for the trails games for the western world I think you should give 'em a call lol

I think it was in another thread where you said how you're suprised in that the series doesn't get that much of a mention here.

The biggest reason for that for me at least is the price.

I would've got the first Cold Steel game by now but like you I'm a physical collector and I'll only really get something digitally I know I'll like or if it can only be bought off the store.

Fact is it's not in stock at all physically (And it barely was anyway it seems) with preowned copies being £40 or so is a bit of an ask for an unknown quantity to me.

I'm sure it's been cheaper on the psn store at some point, but the fact I can't make any sort of exchange back if I'm into it makes me weary of trying the series.

Still it's there on my mind thanks to all Shogunrok's/Roberts reviews and your positive views do make me wanna try them (The interconnected story of eight games tying into this one also is pretty daunting)... We'll just have to see what happens.

Oh and as always when you post Cold Steel tracks... the soundtrack is great! Another reason you have me interested!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

Oh I don't doubt that there's enough content to make it worth that much... Just admittedly I'm on the point of stingy as of late with getting into a series.

If I liked Cold Steel 1 I'd happily pay the £40 or so price tag for the following 2. But I'd prefer a cheaper buy in at first in case I don't like it lol

I did buy Persona 3 (+FES), 4 and 5 at launch. Didn't like 5 all that much though at all to be honest! It's not just a given (I really wanted to like it too) 😅

I've heard Cold Steel compared to the persona games a lot and since I didn't enjoy P5 (and it's ages really since I've played the others) it was another reason why I'm not quite there to go all in on Cold Steel (and why a replay of P3, my favourite, is on the cards to see if it's just P5 or the whole series I've grown a bit out of favour with)

Still as I said great read @KratosMD, I look forward to what you write about next and I'll be keeping a close eye on the series 😁

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

To be honest, I'm not sure I've found a game I'd comfortably give a 10/10 to. Maybe my standards are too high, but 99.9% of games seem to have at least one flaw big enough to mar the experience somewhat.

If Cuphead had more engaging Run n' Gun levels, I'd probably be comfortable with giving a 10/10 to that. I mean, they're still fun. The whole game is pure fun. But they're way overshadowed by the elaborate, creative boss encounters.

Th3solution

@Ralizah I think similarly. I don’t know if I’d ever give a game a 10. It seems to imply perfection, although I realize Push Square qualifies the score as not perfect, rather a “masterpiece” level. For me, I still feel like every game I have played has areas for improvement, as you say. Sure have played some 9.5’s though. 😄

Edit: Nevertheless, @KratosMD your ToCS 3 review was great. As others have said, your passion for the series is palpable through your review and comments and it motivates me to get back into it. I am still in the early stages of the first game, and I already have a physical copy of the second game. Sounds like I may want to grab a copy of the third if I can find one.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

Not to undermine anybody using scores, and I love that @KratosMD loved Trials of Cold Steel III enough to award it such perfection, but this is why I don't put them at the bottom of my reviews. I'll mention things like "yeah, I'd agree with an eight" conversationally, but my idea of a ten is always gonna be somebody else's seven, or vice versa, and I don't wanna create controversy or mislead anybody into a purchase they'd regret. Would I give a perfect ten to some of the games I've reviewed? Yes. But then I'd hope that the review itself can convey such feelings without the need for a final score.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@Th3solution @KratosMD @RogerRoger For me, it's not really about perfection. No game is perfect, and having an impossible standard for a 10/10 really just means you have a 9-point scale instead. It's more about excellence paired with a lack of game-impacting flaws. I do think that's achievable. But, more often than not, the really interesting stuff takes chances and opens itself up in a way that invites a certain degree of flawed game design.

I also wouldn't dock ToCSIII for its visuals, personally. It looks great for something that was probably low-budget.

Edited on by Ralizah

Kidfried

I don't get why people think 10 means perfection.

If 10 meant perfection. Then an 8 would mean 80% perfection. What does that even mean? No one can even comprehend 80% perfection, because no one can comprehend perfection. If we could comprehend perfection, then we would be able to create it.

Just imagine a circle. No human can draw a perfect circle. Even if it looks like a perfect circle, you could zoom in and see imperfections. Even if it looked perfect then, you could zoom in further. And this way, you can zoom in infinitely, and so anything will infinitely be imperfect. But that also means, that we can't say how close that circle is to being perfect, because it can always be infinitely more perfect.

So, that would mean that a scale of 1-10 would mean a scale from 1-infinity. Which wouldn't be really practical.

That's why 1-masterpiece is a more practical solution.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

Yeah I would give a few games this gen 10/10 in my head, but would not regard any of them as perfect. Saying that I am wary of trusting someones or a sites opinion who hands them out too readily.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic