Forums

Topic: User Impressions/Reviews Thread

Posts 1,081 to 1,100 of 3,148

nessisonett

@mookysam Urghhh, I have some awful memories from the bat boss in Ys 2. Maybe my least favourite boss in a game I’ve ever played.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy looking at that list actually makes me realise they did a lot less stuff than I thought. I must have just played toy story and sonic 3d a lot as a kid and their logo has been drilled into my mind 😅

See ya!

Rudy_Manchego

Disco Elysium

This is currently a PC and Mac only release (though note that it will run on a few low end machines) but a console release is planned I believe so thought it might be worth adding. I should also add I played a demo in 2018 at EGX and had a good chat with some of the dev team so I had wanted to play it since then and enjoyed the interaction so I may be biased.

I've only recently got a gaming capable PC (not a beast by any stretch but perfect for this type of game) and as a result this is one of the first isometric RPG games I've played since the late 90's/early 00's. So I can't give you an idea of how it sits within the genre or so on.

The game itself is an isometric western RPG. You play as a character who wakes up from a drink induced coma to have forgotten everything about themselves. He quickly establishes that he is a detective who has been tasked with solving a hanging in a poverty stricken neighbourhood on the coast of large city state with a rich melting pot of political, cultural and racial undertones. So far, fairly typical in terms of story setup. Where the game stands out though is how you upgrade and the narrative choices.

Instead of investing XP into physical characteristics, you put them instead into your personality and consciousness. Indeed a lot of conversations in the game happen within your own head. If you invest in your logic and deduction skills you will get pretty good at spotting hard evidence but you might miss something as your empathy is not as high. There is, in theory, no right or wrong build but your experience and the way you are treated or have to complete quests will differ based on the build you are creating. This can take you into some pretty weird places - this is a game that runs in any direction with conversation and topics. You could decide to become a die hard bigot and facist or perhaps a communist. Your journey is largely accompanied with a detective from another precient who will also react to you differently. Where this tends to manifest itself is in the chance element - essentially, certain missions or conversations will rely on dice rolls. These are often based on the strength of your personality upgrades or on completing side quests and other objectives. For example - find you need to get in somewhere via a locked door? If you are going for a physical bully build, your chances of smashing it down will be high and you can probably win the roll. Otherwise you might need to ask around, scope out the area and find other things that affect your percentage to success. Some dice rolls can be retried IF you amend the odds (upgrading or finding other variables) but others are locked. Often those are related to the story.

What this does is encourages you to explore, converse and get an idea of the world and the characters. Which is largely the point because the world is just so unique and different. The world is gorgeously hand painted in a vivid arstyle. The character animations are basic and adequate but fit very well inside of the atmosphere of the game. The music too, by band British Sea Power is excellent (yes I've bought the soundtrack). Most characters have a level of voice acting (which is great) but the majority of the interactions are via text. Often you will get important plot points or introductions voiced. It is where this story goes and what it covers that really astounds - you see, like any good mystery, the murder at the heart of the game is just really the excuse for the game to get started. You see, you'll also encounter an underground drug trade, the political fall out of a communist revolution that failed and destroyed the suburb you live in, suicide, alcoholism, drug use, poverty, capitalism and trade unionism, the metahphysical quanderies of this fictional world, insanity, race relations, corporate espionage and invisible fantastical creatures. So yeah, a few things going on. The writing is sublime and your dialogue choices are wide reaching and have impact on how a conversation will go. I laughed out loud at some points and was pretty shocked (or confused) at others. It all deals with very adult themes and is not for one that doesn't like politics in their games - though it should be noted you can often choose your politics.

There is not combat system so to speak, it is closer to a pen and paper RPG where it is on your choices. You interact and proceed through oconversation.

As a result, as I got a handle on the games systems, I became utterly engrossed with it through the majority of the running time. In total I spent close to 28 hours. I've read the developer say there is 60 hours content so I may have missed things but I felt that I thoroughly explored the world so that may relate to the various threads you could go down. Do I have any complaints? Well I would say that maybe the game systems aren't well explained at first but then RPG pros may take to it quicker than me. As I got towards the end game, I felt a little like you got pushed into a narrative funnel that wasn't as free as the rest of the game, however it soon widened again after that and delivered a satisfying finale (at least to me).

I am aware that there are multiple endings but I have made a choice not to seek those out. This is one game where I don't want to see the strings and the choices that actually matter. I walked a path with my character that reflected how I see the world and I'm not sure I want to experiment just to see others.

This is a weird game, very adult and covers so much. However, it tells such a unique story in a unique world that I cannot recommend it enough. Is this on the list of top games I have played this generation? Without a doubt and I hope it does come to consoles soon because it deserves to be seen by as many people as possible. The game has won a lot of awards and accolades and normally I am more wary of critical darlings but yes - justified.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Th3solution

@Rudy_Manchego Thanks for that excellent breakdown of your Disco Elysium experience. I’ve been curious about the game since it was announced to come to PS4. With your recommendation, I suspect I’ll eventually get it. In concept it sounds a little like The Council meets Detroit Become Human maybe, except with the isometric viewpoint.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Rudy_Manchego

@Th3solution I think that's fairly close but you would possibly need to cross reference it with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or something that is really trippy and out there in places. With lots and lots of bad language!!!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

nessisonett

@Rudy_Manchego I totally agree with your write up. It’s one of the best games I’ve ever played, never mind this generation. It’s just incredibly unique, hilarious and delivers a truly ‘adult’ story.

Thrillho

@Rudy_Manchego I’m not sure I’ve heard anyone say they didn’t like the game, even if they don’t like the genre.

I’m sure I heard ages ago that it was coming to consoles but haven’t heard anything more on that front in a long time.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho It was the victim of a hit job from the right who called the devs Marxist and the like. They’re the only people I’ve seen who didn’t like it 😂

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett I think one of the devs had a picture of Stalin up behind them when they did an interview or something, which set alarm bells off for some people.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Rudy_Manchego

@nessisonett Agreed - I know I'll come back to it at some point and like other of my favourits like Night in the Woods or Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, it occupies a bit of my brain pan and probably will for a long time.

@Thrillho @nessisonett @JohnnyShoulder Yeah I think that rings a bell with some people calling the devs communists or something. The irony is that yes, there is a whole bunch of that in the game, but then there is also a bunch of right wing and centrist theorising and you can align yourself whichever way you want. Also, there is no right or wrong advocated in the game.

My personal feeling is this is one of the few games that treats politics like an adult and shows that any form of political belief has flaws. Of course, probably too much thought for those too entrenched in their views either side and claim Keep politics out of games.

nessisonett

@Rudy_Manchego I think some just looked at the aesthetics of Revachol and thought it looked like a Commie paradise. It really does make fun of every conceivable political stance, it’s brilliant. My favourite is when the game/your subconscious tries to convince you that fascism is a dirty word so we should call it something like ‘traditionalism’! It’s all about traditional values and such 😂

RogerRoger

Rudy_Manchego wrote:

...you'll also encounter an underground drug trade, the political fall out of a communist revolution that failed and destroyed the suburb you live in, suicide, alcoholism, drug use, poverty, capitalism and trade unionism, the metahphysical quanderies of this fictional world, insanity, race relations, corporate espionage and invisible fantastical creatures.

Sounds good. And then what'll we do after lunch?

In all seriousness, that's an excellent write-up, and a very convincing one at that. I'd heard the game's name bandied about, but had zero idea what it entailed, so I'm grateful for your thoughts. As and when it arrives on console (not sure I could play such an engrossing game sat at my desk) I'll see what price it is and consider it whenever it's time for a change of pace.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder The devs gave a shout out to Marx, Engels, Maiakovski etc for their forwarding of political science and theory. I think Americans just have such a bad and somewhat distorted idea of what their writings actually mean, due to what they eventually led to. They also had a bust of Lenin in their offices because it belonged to a Soviet-era author that they idolise. They’re Estonian, it’s one of these situations that nobody truly understands unless they grew up in a Soviet and later post-Soviet country.

Rudy_Manchego

@nessisonett @JohnnyShoulder People always go on about Karl Marx but they never, ever mention his sister Onya who contributed far more to the world when she invented the starting pistol.

JohnnyShoulder

@Rudy_Manchego @nessisonett For the record I have no issue either way, and I don't know the exact context (well I kinda do now thanks to ness's explanation) of the situation. I heard of some people boycotting the game because of this. That is a bit alien to me as it would have to be something horrific or very personal for me to even think of refusing to buy a video game.

Thanks for the excellent review Rudy, this game does interest me but have been put off by the amount of text in the game. And that it is not out on consoles yet.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Rudy_Manchego

@JohnnyShoulder Not at all mate - to be honest I had forgotten all about the supposed hoo ha from the developers and didn’t realise what it was all about.

I get your thoughts on reading - I find that since I play in the evenings, text heavy games make me sleepy!

Ralizah

@nessisonett In fairness, Americans see communists under their bed at night. Advocate for things that people in every other developed nation on Earth have access to, like basic universal health care, and even our so-called "lefties" will treat you like a loon who wants to nationalize the banks and abolish private property.

Although I guess you could explain that away by saying every developed nation on Earth DOES have universal health care, whereas the U.S. is on the verge of becoming the world's largest failed state.

@Rudy_Manchego Great piece! This game has been on my wishlist forever now, and I really love how creative and free it seems with its RPG mechanics. And, of course, fleshing out a character's personality/ideology is a great twist on normal RPG progression mechanics.

Your nicely detailed review only makes me want to play it all the more.

@RogerRoger If I ever get to the point where I have no further interest in pursuing new releases in the hobby, I'll probably take up retro collecting and, yes, eventually purchase a Saturn. Until then, I'll have to be satisfied with emulators.

The controller for the console is brilliant, by the way. The Sega Saturn has THE best 2D console controller ever.

Untitled

My current favorite retro controller, 8bitdo's M30, is actually heavily inspired by the design of that particular controller.

Untitled

Before going for the Saturn, though, I'd probably opt to buy a Sega CD along with a few games that'd be TERRIFIC to own for it, like Snatcher, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, and Popful Mail.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah I am now intrigued by whatever Popful Mail is, mostly due to that pretty dire Arnie impression 😂😂

Ralizah

@nessisonett It's a cute Nihon Falcom-developed action-RPG that's mainly memorable because it was localized by Working Designs. As with Lunar, the script is filled with great, stupid humor that in no way reflects the script of the original game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

@mookysam Defo give it a go if and when you get the chance - if it comes out physical for PS4 I'll probably double dip.

@Ralizah Thanks - I think you'll probably really enjoy the game from reading your previous reviews.

On the subject of retro gaming - I have an 8-Bit Do SF30 - basically a SNES controller with analog sticks and two shoulder buttons and the build is great as it has a solid d-pad but can also handle N64 and up games comfortably. I'd recommend most 8-bit do controllers.

For Mega/Sega CD, I have a a working unit and a few games in the collection but the prices for some games like Snatcher are insane - in the UK a good copy can go for several hundred pounds. Alas the only way to really play a lot of those titles is via emulation which is a shame.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic