Forums

Topic: The Definitive Best Game of All Time Forum Megapoll!

Posts 1,541 to 1,560 of 1,645

WanderingBullet

Just noticed that there is not one multiplayer focus game with the exception of maybe GTAV (Online Mode) in the top 40.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

RogerRoger

@WanderingBullet We need to send this poll to EA.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

BAMozzy

@Fight_Teza_Fight We will really have to differ there as every point you bring up, I totally disagree with. NO game is too big! It may be too big for you BUT I have beaten the game twice (on both PS4 and XB1) and almost all the DLC too as I am working my way through Blood and Wine on Xbox now. Talking of which, you can spend longer in just Blood and Wine than it took me to beat FC5 (doing everything - except ALL the fishing spots) which to me isn't too long - its GREAT value and superb quality. I wouldn't be surprised if Blood and Wines map was the same size as FC5 or could just feel as big because you don't have cars and helicopters to get around. Anyway, point is, its not too big, it offers a LOT to do, a lot of choice and freedom. Even gave you opportunities to partake in Gwent (become a game in itself) .

Combat - at least on the higher difficulty settings - is not poor or repetitive at all. Monster have their own attack patterns and fighting a group of bandits, some archers, some with shields and some with big bludgeoning weapons all pose different challenges and, depending on what skills you have specced into, can be a lot of fun. Timing a perfect parry to send an arrow back to the opponent or counter an attack to give you a window to strike but not all enemies can be parried so you need to dodge before you can strike. Weapons, potions, abilities etc all matter. Its not like some games where you can just keep your distance and shoot your way past encounters move on to the 'next' encounter and shoot your way through that. The 'contracts' require preparation if you want to be successful and relatively quick combat - at least on the difficult settings.

The map is not 'fogged' over until you climb a tower or investigate the area, the '?'s' are points of interest - whether that's a monster nest/den, a guarded treasure, part of a treasure hunt or some other 'reward' for visiting. A fair few of these are added by quests but you can also find places of interest by not following the path and travelling as the crow flies.

There is a 'main' story but often some of the side quests also tie into that 'main' storyline too. Things like Treasure Hunts and Witcher Contracts don't play into the main story but depending on decisions you make in some side quests can have an impact on the main story. The side quests are often great 'stories' in themselves. It is one of the most expansive RPG's ever made. I have spent 200hours on just the Xbox version - probably the same (or longer as I have beaten both DLC's) on the PS4 version and never been bored, felt it was repetitive etc

Maybe you don't like the game because some of the trophies are missable (make a certain choice and certain trophies are not attainable), just have a short attention span or little time to invest in gaming but its definitely not too big with 'poor' combat.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Kidfried

@BAMozzy Agree. I thought combat in The Witcher 3 was quite good for its genre. On lower difficulty as well. I can understand how going for one specific build can get repetitive, but that's why I switched things up all the time.

Even after beating the main quest, I decided to go for a shield-sign focused build. Hadn't even used that prior in the game. But the game easily let me.

@Fight_Teza_Fight There are even items that let you reallocate all your skill points. Using those definitely increased my enjoyment and wonder.

And the feeling that some people had with the last Zelda, I had with The Witcher. Every part of the map had something to offer, even if it we're just small pieces of lore. They all tied into the bigger story of the world, so I never felt they were mere distractions.

@Fight_Teza_Fight Of course I can not make you enjoy the game more or even convince you otherwise. But me, I had the opposite experience. I was so sad at the end of the Witcher 3, because I really wanted to stay in that world. Even after 300 hours, doing every possible quest and all question marks (even the ones at sea), I wished there was even more content.

Anyway, that's just me of course.

Kidfried

Kidfried

By the way, I hope we can get some more votes for MGS3. Certainly deserves to be BGOAT.

At the very least I'd love for a PS exclusive to win. We'll see.

Kidfried

themcnoisy

Tbf @BAMozzy Im not a fan of Witcher 3 either. I was expecting an utterly compelling experience with the best side stories and world building ever. Its great and obviously really well made but some of the earliest quests like finding a dwarf who stole from a store, finding a treasure chest and being attacked by a mermaid thing and then being sent a million miles away and I had enough.

Its really good, I totally understand why its been given accolades. But its too big for me and suffers from simar issues to other open world games. Due to a lack of gaming time and other commitments and the size is a big negative for me. That my opinion obviously but come on man critisizing someone whos as big a game fan as us for having a 'short attention span' after a relatively fair comment is unjust.

Just like every big open world game which requires a big commitment (200 hours is 5 weeks in work for me) you need to be in the right frame of mind.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

themcnoisy

Current Round and last one voting closes at midnight Sunday:

£100 between 3 games - the most is £50, the least £10. Any cast vote not within this remit and the vote is void. Go as wild as you like within the rules. Any one unfamiliar with the pound coin or doesnt have the £ symbol on their keyboard we will accept votes without the symbol.

Bloodborne
Horizon Zero Dawn
Mass Effect 2
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Persona 4 Golden
Persona 5
Shadow of the Colossus
Super Mario World
The Last Of Us
Uncharted 2

Edited on by themcnoisy

Rudy_Manchego

Bloodborne, £50
Super Mario World £25
The Last Of Us £25

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Scrummer

Horizon Zero Dawn - £10

Super Mario World - £40

Uncharted 2 - £50

Scrummer

BAMozzy

@themcnoisy I certainly didn't accuse anyone of having a short attention span but that is one possible reason that people don't like 'big' expansive video games and lose track of the main thread - I also proffered the reason that they have 'little' time to gaming - which is one of the reasons you yourself stated for not getting into the game. There are those gamers that want instant gratification and results - feel like they get somewhere in 10mins - which is fine if that's all they want or have time for - its not a criticism or accusation but if that's the way they are or that's all the time they have then fine - BUT just because they can't get into a 'long' game or have the time to devote to it, doesn't make games like the Witcher 3 one of the greatest games ever made!

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

BranJ0

Persona 5 - £50
The Last Of Us - £20
Uncharted 2 - £20
Super Mario World - £10

BranJ0

Jaz007

@BranJ0 Ahhh! You can only choose 3 games or it’ll get or it gets disqualified. We need your Persona 5 vote!

Jaz007

BranJ0

@Jaz007 Oops, sorry! Here's my revised vote!

Persona 5 - £50
The Last of Us - £25
Uncharted 2 - £25

BranJ0

Dichotomy

@BAMozzy I think you have to accept that not every game is for every person. I spent about ten hours with Witcher 3 and stopped playing as it just wasn't for me. The combat was generic and could neither stand up to the weighty tactical sword play of Dark Souls or the fast paced combo inspired fighting system of Bayonetta. The Witcher character is relatively generic and could well be signed as the new Batman. It's not like I don't like or have the time for longer games, but if a game hasn't grabbed me after ten hours I'm not going to put another ten in just in case that changes when I have other games to play.

Given what has happened with this vote I would say The Witcher is now dropping due to the hype machine moving on to other games and people having time to judge where the game comes in their personal experiences. Had the vote been taken when the hype was at its peak I'd have expected it to win, but now I think Horizon will take away most of that hype vote and probably win due to it (and, oddly enough, I haven't been blown away by that game either). If we'd been doing this in a few months then I'd expect the new GoW to win. I wouldn't worry though, it's all a bit of fun after all.

Dichotomy

BAMozzy

@Dichotomy I know that people have different opinions but the Witcher 3 has won more awards than any other game - The Witcher 3 got 257 awards while The Last of Us got 249 in 2nd place. It must of done a LOT right that it won so many award - this in the same year as games like Fallout 4 and MGSv too. Granted there are more outlets for awards these days but that still doesn't detract from the fact that the Witcher 3 is the most awarded game of all time (to date).

I have never taken these seriously as the people that vote often only vote on a game they played - not necessarily which was technically the best. There is also likely to be 'bias' towards PS games - as seen by the fact that the Majority of the top 10 are Sony Exclusives. That is not a criticism at all - everyone votes how they want as is their right and the result isn't important but just for fun. Point is though, you can't argue with the facts that the Witcher 3 is the most awarded game and that only happens to games of quality.

Tasuki

@BAMozzy I never put.any stake in awards anymore, in years past perhaps but nowadays it's whoever has the biggest checkbook gets the award or it's a bunch of fanboy's that in the end decide the winner. It's not just video games but movies too and shows too. I haven't watched the Oscars or anything like that in years cuase it seems that the winners are often not the best but who smoozies the judges more.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Nei

Persona 4 Golden - £10
Shadow of the Colossus - £50
Super Mario World - £40

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

themcnoisy

@BAMozzy Loads of us have played Witcher 3 on the forums. Using the amount of awards is crazy, I love the fact its a proper massive game - but once the dust has settled saying it went up against Fallout 4 which has placed absolutely nowhere in this cup proves nothing really.

Just like my favourite game in FF8. Its done a bit crap in every competition, hey ho no one can ever tell me that Uncharted 2 is better than FF8. As its not and everyone else is wrong lol.

Thanks for joining in again though bro. I never thanked you enough for being a part of them since day 1 along with a bunch of other heads in the forums. I will write a special epilouge when the cups over!

Th3solution

It’s been great reading everyone’s opinions and thoughts about their personal favorites of all time. Bravo. I’ve enjoyed it thoroughly. Cheers to @themcnoisy for his diligent efforts to keep this going and keeping each round fresh, even through mortal illness, apparently.
The latest discussion highlights the beauty of games and how each time we play we all have an experience unique to our circumstances. There is no wrong opinion here. I haven’t played Witcher 3 yet, despite owning the Complete edition in my backlog, and part of the delay has been the sheer size of it. I’ve no doubt I will fall in love with it when the time is right, however.
I do agree with whomever said that timing (as in the time period of your life when you experience it) plays a role sometimes in how how you enjoy a game. @KratosMD I think it was you. I totally see some of my favorites being linked to my personal situation at the time I played it.
Of course, some games transcend all of that and are beautiful no matter when, where, or why you play them. The top 20 here are mostly those kinds of games, I venture.
The biggest surprises here to me so far in addition to W3 not making the top 10 is that no Final Fantasy made the top 10, and I think FF7 and FF6 cannibalized each other’s votes a little bit. Although for some reason that didn’t happen with the Personas. I’m quite surprised. My other surprise is how low (relatively speaking) Red Dead Redemption ended up. But I think it goes back to my earlier point that I experienced that game at a time when it really resonated with me heavily and I just expect everyone to have my same opinion, which of course is not the case. Well, anyways... that brings me to my vote:

Shadow of the Colossus - £50
The Last Of Us - £30
Uncharted 2 - £20

I adore every single one of these 10 games, except for SMW which I haven’t played. Actually, I’d be happy if any were crowned the victor, all are deserving.
....But Shadow of the Colossus bridges the space between a game and a life experience. It is unquestionably a work of art. It is a game that lives on in one’s memory like a family vacation or the first day of school. It’s a gaming experience that has the capacity to be seared into your soul and change your entire outlook on life.
It’s not a perfect game, no —
But it is the best game of all time.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.