Forums

Topic: Recent Retro & Other Gaming Purchases? (Non PS4)

Posts 741 to 760 of 1,112

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON That sucks.

Problem with CEX is that you kinda get what you pay for. A quick glance towards Amazon shows that you can get new PS2 copies of both games, but they're between £20 and £25 each, with long delivery estimates throughout September. Then there's eBay, where Voyager is £15, but Emperor's Tomb is £35 (probably because it's the only place I can actually see the original PlayStation2 cellophane tear strip, so that's likely the only person being accurate when they say "new and sealed").

Otherwise you're always gonna run that risk, I'm afraid. I'm always shocked by how people treat their discs. On the rare occasion I've traded something in with CEX or GAME before, I've always had comments about how pristine I've kept my discs, and my reaction invariably provokes some horror stories.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Yeah. Took them back.

Don't get me wrong, I use CEX a lot and I've still plenty of friends who work for them - but ordering online usually gets the 'best they have' of whatever you've ordered since all orders come from the stores.
I can see why they'd accept the Indy disc to a point, but the Elite Force one was really terrible.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Tjuz

I always prefer to exclusively buy used games if I see them in the store. I've actually purchased two online used games recently that have yet to arrive, and I hope they're not in horrible condition or it'd be a bad first online experience. I bought them from the same Dutch chain that has usually had used games in good condition in-store, so I hope that translates into the online purchases as well.

Tjuz

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Yikes. Will you try and track them down again?

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Already on it 😊

Found a nice looking Indy for £4 and change and bought that, got a bid in for £1.50 on an Elite Force. Both look good, so here's hoping.

@Tjuz fingers crossed!

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Top drawer.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger That said - hopefully the mental ship hasn't sailed on my interest, as I ended up stumbling upon a review of the Colony Wars series on YouTube last night. It's been ages, so I might just start a game of that!

Rudy_Manchego

I know it is not technically retro but I don't want to start raising dead threads. Does anyone have any recommendations of good stores in UK or Europe for physical Vita games? Largely western as opposed to Asia titles? I've got the collecting bug and want to pick up some physical copies of games but prices are already starting to jump quite high. Can be second hand.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

KALofKRYPTON

@Rudy_Manchego Vita stuff is on the rise again.

There have been a few peaks & troughs over the years - but it seems the market is pretty much on the rise for good now.

Other than any local independent who carry old stock - Cash Generator types and CEX are your best bet in the UK.

Rudy_Manchego

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah, I know what you mean. For example, the current going second hand price for Persona 4 Golden is £28 or so at CEX and a few other outlets. Even more common titles like Uncharted are going beyond £15.

Ah well, just goes to show my feeling that Vita is going to turn into a niche collectors console is correct.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

KALofKRYPTON

@Rudy_Manchego in fairness to P4G, at least it's remained consistently close to retail prince since release.

Yeah, the likes of Uncharted going past 13 quid is pretty telling.

Tjuz

The used games I bought online arrived in good condition, woo! Shame about your order though, @KALofKRYPTON. I hope it will be an isolated incident, or that you can find the same games in better condition elsewhere.

Tjuz

KALofKRYPTON

@Tjuz Good news!

I think I have found a couple of good ones.

Ralizah

Just purchased Celeste on the Nintendo Switch. It dropped to my desired price point of $9.99, and it recently got one last DLC update adding a ton of levels, so it seemed like a waste not to get it. I doubt it'll be going any lower in price any time soon.

I think I might wait until I get a Switch Lite later in the year to play it, though. This'll be the perfect game to break in a brand new dedicated handheld with a proper D-Pad!

The coolest thing? I paid for almost all of it with Gold Coins. It only cost ten cents of my actual eshop credit.

Edited on by Ralizah

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Super Mario Galaxy/Piczle Lines DX (Switch)
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)

PSN: Ralizah

KALofKRYPTON

@Ralizah I do mean to get around to playing Celeste at some point!

@RogerRoger
PS2 ebay purchases success!
The Indy case isn't the best, but the cover, disc and manual are all acceptable. Elite Force is in very nice condition all round though. It even still has the Codemasters promo in the box

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Awesome! I was hoping they'd work out and yeah, I love finding original promotional fluff in old games. I was almost as excited to find a 1999 LucasArts Catalogue in my PC copy of The Phantom Menace the other week than I was to install and play the game!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Oooooh - that's a nice 'get'!

Did you ever get that N64?

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Nope. Not yet, anyway. Since I've been having more success with retro PC gaming of late, I don't feel the burning need right away. Will get around to it eventually, I'm sure.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Fair.

Are you going to get Shadows of the Empire?

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Shadows of the Empire is available on GOG.com for a fiver. Since the PC version presumably runs better than its console brethren, I'll likely get it from them (Limited Run Games did make it available recently, but only on N64... and my trust in them has been shaken, as I was promised Bounty Hunter would ship in August and yet here we are, halfway through September and still not a peep). Why'd you ask? Do you think it's worth it?

At this point, especially since I got Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis from GOG as well, there are only two games I'm interested in that I'd need an N64 to play, namely GoldenEye 007 and The World is Not Enough. I'm not in a big enough Bond mood at the moment for those to be a priority.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic