Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 761 to 780 of 1,585

Rudy_Manchego

Well I blew a load of moolah at a Retro fair yesterday. Picked up an N64 with Mario 64, Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time and Star Wars Pod Racer. Also got a modded DS, Eternal Darkness on GC, MDK and G Police on PS1, Metal Gear Acid for PSP as well as Undertale phycial for the Vita. Oh also got a cheap copy of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for Wii.

So I just need a Gameboy colour and I have, I think, all the mainstream Nintendo consoles from NES to Switch.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

QualityGeezer

Does anyone still have a commodore 64?

QualityGeezer

mookysam

@Rudy_Manchego Nice haul! Have you played Metroid Prime 3 before?

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Rudy_Manchego

@mookysam Nope - played Metroid Prime back in they day on GC but never played 2 or 3. I am replaying Metroid Prime on Wii U on VC as part of the Prime Trilogy but I'm a bit of a collector so got it quite cheap. I think I am only missing Metroid: Other M, and Hunters and the NES Cartridge for the original.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

mookysam

@Rudy_Manchego Prime 3 makes brilliant use of the Wii remote and nunchuck. Probably one of a handful of games that fully realised the system's potential. It also has a lot less backtracking than 1 & 2 because it's split up into individual planets.

Are there any other retro systems you're looking to buy after you've completed your Nintendo set?

Earlier I bought Zack and Wiki for the Wii. I had to sell my original copy around a decade ago. It's nice to add it back to my collection after all this time.

Black Lives Matter

Rudy_Manchego

@mookysam It works well on Prime on the trilogy so canโ€™t wait for 3!

Not sure what console next. Would love a Dreamcast but my dream is to one day afford a Virtual Boy!!

I am always rebuying games I got rid of years ago!

Rudy_Manchego

@KratosMD Thanks mate, I also bought Skyward Sword the other week! I never really did much with my Wii when I had it setup which means I have missed a lot of good titles.

I love good game soundtracks so will get on metroid prime 3 ASAP!

mookysam

@Rudy_Manchego Awesome. Never had a Dreamcast but always wanted one. Would you use a VGA cable (no idea how much they are mind) or hook it up to a glorious CRT? Good luck finding a Virtual Boy. Would that be purely for the collector value rather than gaming on it?

The motion controls really enhance the first two Prime games. I loved them anyway, but it was great replaying them with the Wii remote. The Wii got a lot of flack for its forced "waggle" in so many games, but when implemented correctly it could be brilliant. Skyward Sword is excellent too. As @KratosMD mentioned It's easy to recalibrate the Motion+ (I believe you press up or down on the D pad to recentre if it goes askew), but the sensor bar actually helps keep the pointer centred.

@KratosMD I was so excited when Skyward Sword came out because it had been so long since Twilight Princess. I probably haven't been that hyped for a game since. Thanks for linking the Prime 3 tracks. Metroid Prime games have such great music! Phendrana Drifts in the first Prime is brilliant and I love all the remixes of classic Metroid tunes.

Black Lives Matter

Rudy_Manchego

@KratosMD Calibration can be tricky on Wii games and where I currently am playing I have limited space so have to configure each time I play but once done it works well. To be honest, I can only manage a few open world games at a year because I find they become shopping lists of things to do so I like a good linear adventure.

@mookysam Yeah me neither, and a lot of the Dreamcast arcade games still look good. I have been playing the Wii Prime Trilogy using motion controls and they work fine from a movement and aiming perspective. Some of the HUD options are a little more cumbersome but you get used to them. In a way, without a full remaster, they make the more limited camera work in a far more 'modern' way if that makes sense.

As for a Virtual Boy, mainly collecting. I want to try the games but am under no illusion I would struggle to actually enjoy them for long!

HallowMoonshadow

Downwell is free on all android devices for the next week. Thought I might as well tell everyone if they're interested

There's only one thing I know about the dreamcast other then it didn't sell well @Rudy_Manchego & that is it got a port of House Of The Dead II! So obligotory reference to it's most famous line and...

Untitled

... I love that game and that line ๐Ÿ˜‚

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Rudy_Manchego

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Ha amazing. I love House of the dead to the extent I bought one of the games for the Wii and the wonky plastic pump action shotgun for it!

HallowMoonshadow

Ha I got the House Of The Dead 2 & 3 pack for Wii too back in the day... In fact I got it with some other Sega shoot em up called Ghost Squad and got a free plastic gun holder for the wii remote with laser pointer @Rudy_Manchego all for like ยฃ15 from Argos ๐Ÿ˜…

Really only bought it for House Of The Dead 2 but 3 was ok (if the bosses weren't as interesting or the voice acting being better and not so bad it's amazing) Ghost squad was eh.. Think I might've got rid of them all now though...

Oh well still have House Of The Dead: Overkill for PS3, Time Crisis 1 for PS1 and Time Crisis 3, Vampire Night and Ninja Assualt for PS2...

Might have to see about getting Time Crisis 2 for PS2... Never can have enough light gun games...

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

I cleaned out the rest of GOG's LucasArts stock, ensuring I have everything I could possibly want from them and drawing a line under my newfound interest in PC gaming. It all made for a chunky download, but I now have the following installed and ready to go.

LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
Star Wars: Battlefront (2004)
Star Wars: Battlefront II (2005)
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Dark Forces II - Jedi Knight (including the Mysteries of the Sith expansion)
Star Wars: Episode I - Racer
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

On my way out, however, I noticed that GOG also sell the original five Tomb Raider games, so I doubt it's the last they've seen of my PayPal password.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Tasuki

Walked into Walmart yesterday to pick up Link's Awakening walked out with a Genesis Mini instead.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

RogerRoger

@Tasuki Genesis does what Nintendon't...!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

What is this Sega Genesis you all speak of?

It's all about the Mega Drive!

Thrillho

Tasuki

Thrillho wrote:

What is this Sega Genesis you all speak of?

It's all about the Mega Drive!

It's always has been, will be and is the Genesis.

Mega Drive sounds more like a name for a Transformer lol

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Thrillho

@Tasuki Better than sharing a name with a terrible Terminator film.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@KratosMD I did the same recently; I've stocked up on PS3 games and installed them to grab their associated DLCs and / or bug-fixing updates, before Sony finally pulls the plug on the console's online element altogether (because you know it'll happen any day now).

Hope you can grab everything you want to!

Making It So Since 1987

Rudy_Manchego

@RogerRoger I don't have a huge PS3 collection but I have done the same in terms of installing and patching the other week. I'm slightly less concerned about my 360 since I think nearly all of my games are XB1 compatible.

I wish I could do the same with my vita but the memory card issue prevents all my digitals being downloaded. To be honest though, I suspect that they will keep those open for some time for games you own.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic