Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 721 to 740 of 1,585

RogerRoger

@darkswabber Carve out some time to surrender to the madness that is Katamari Forever. Have you played any of the other games from the franchise before?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

darkswabber

@RogerRoger I’ve finished touch my katamari and I think I dabbled into katamari damancy once. According to caddicarus katamari forever is the best and touch my katamari is the worst, and since I really liked touch my katamari I am sure I’m going to love katamari forever.

And I just realised I said katamari six times before this, now seven times.

darkswabber

PSN: darkswabber | Twitter:

RogerRoger

@darkswabber Don't say katamari. I said katamari. Katamari.

When I first got my PS Vita, I got Touch My Katamari and it lasted me all of, ooh... two days? If that. It's perfectly lovely for what it is, but coming off the back of Katamari Forever it was a teensy bit disappointing (although any excuse to roll a katamari is a welcome one in my book).

I'm sure you'll have a blast. Enjoy!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force (PS2) and Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (PS2) purchased today.

Elite Force I had before, always wanted one of the PS2 Indy games - I'm sure it's not a patch on '... the Infernal Machine', but I'm sure it'll be OK.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Ralizah

Just ordered Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 for the PS2 for a little over $10 brand new. Can't beat that! I won't play it right away, but I do plan on digging into it next year.

@RogerRoger I'm still a bit amazed Katamari became a long-running series. The original was perfectly lovely as a quirky PS2 game, but I wouldn't have imagined there'd be enough material for multiple sequels.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@darkswabber Gosh darn it. Hopefully you can; I'm sure you'd love it.

@Ralizah Agreed. I think it falls into the sub-category of "quirky" that generates a little bit of brand loyalty. It isn't just something you play, laugh at and then forget; you wanna get others to experience it. There's a visceral quality to the gameplay that feels brutal, yet is apparently benevolent. Chuck in some genuinely funny dialogue and a flawless soundtrack and everything just... well, works.

But you're right; I think it's had its time. Very few people played the original; it was We Love Katamari which got everybody's attention. Then there was one for PSP, one for PS3, one for Xbox360 and one for PS Vita. They never really did multiple releases on a single platform because I think they realised few people would need two Katamari games on the same system; the novelty was "hey, better graphics" or "ooh, it's portable now" rather than any kind of gameplay innovation or narrative progression (reflected in he fact that most of the levels in the sequels were simple repeats / expansions of content from the two PS2 games).

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON One of us needs to get out of the other's head, as this afternoon I was having a snoop around GOG.com and made exactly the same impulse purchase as you did.

Have downloaded and installed Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine and Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, having only ever played Emperor's Tomb on PS2 before (and yeah, I think you'll like it... you won't love it, but it does what it sets out to do). Infernal Machine was one of the key drivers for me wanting to get a Nintendo64 so finding it on PC, for a mere £8 rather than the £80+ those old cartridges go for on eBay, was a no-brainer.

Was actually on there to get myself Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords after years of recommendations. Also treated myself to the PC version of LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars which runs in 4K!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Ha!

Fate of Atlantis was a game we had for the Amiga that I often tried, but was pretty crap at concentrating on as a kid. Loved Infernal Machine on PC. It was horrid on the N64, definitely not worth shelling out for!

KOTOR is obviously great, never played the second one though. Shame Star Wars Galaxies stopped, I think you'd have liked that.

There's usually a decent Star Wars bundle on steam. X-Wing/Tie Fighter/vs/Alliance are always worth a go too. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of upgrade mods out there for them now.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I keep hearing people talk about Fate of Atlantis like it's the Holy Grail ("you have chosen... wisely") of point-and-click adventure games, so I'm keen to see what it's all about. It was included in the Wii version of Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings as an unlockable bonus, but not the PS2 version, which I always felt slightly miffed about.

GOG have the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games, but I'm not getting them (yet) as they're part of Limited Run Games' forthcoming line-up and if I'm gonna get them, I'd rather have a pretty box. We had X-Wing when I was younger and it wasn't my favourite, so I'm gonna wait and see.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@KratosMD Donkey Kong Adventure is nothing revolutionary, but it's more of the same sort of excellent content, so if you've finished the base game, you'll probably really dig it. It's also decent lengthy (not as much as XC2's Torna expansion, of course, but it should keep you occupied for 10+ hours).

Ralizah

@KratosMD Have you been re-exploring the various worlds after completing them? A TON of content is hidden behind optional challenges, puzzles, and paths in that game. I probably spent 40 hours on the main game content overall.

Ralizah

@KratosMD Oh, I wasn't talking about the DLC, but the main game, which I believe you said you completed. The worlds have a ton of hidden content in them in the main game. If you just went from world to world, it's probably why the main game felt short to you.

KALofKRYPTON

Sooo... went to fetch my delivery of PS2 games from CEX. Not particularly enthused I must say.

Both are in terrible shape. I'll probably be returning them to a store on the way home

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON That sucks.

Problem with CEX is that you kinda get what you pay for. A quick glance towards Amazon shows that you can get new PS2 copies of both games, but they're between £20 and £25 each, with long delivery estimates throughout September. Then there's eBay, where Voyager is £15, but Emperor's Tomb is £35 (probably because it's the only place I can actually see the original PlayStation2 cellophane tear strip, so that's likely the only person being accurate when they say "new and sealed").

Otherwise you're always gonna run that risk, I'm afraid. I'm always shocked by how people treat their discs. On the rare occasion I've traded something in with CEX or GAME before, I've always had comments about how pristine I've kept my discs, and my reaction invariably provokes some horror stories.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Yeah. Took them back.

Don't get me wrong, I use CEX a lot and I've still plenty of friends who work for them - but ordering online usually gets the 'best they have' of whatever you've ordered since all orders come from the stores.
I can see why they'd accept the Indy disc to a point, but the Elite Force one was really terrible.

Tjuz

I always prefer to exclusively buy used games if I see them in the store. I've actually purchased two online used games recently that have yet to arrive, and I hope they're not in horrible condition or it'd be a bad first online experience. I bought them from the same Dutch chain that has usually had used games in good condition in-store, so I hope that translates into the online purchases as well.

Tjuz

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Yikes. Will you try and track them down again?

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Already on it 😊

Found a nice looking Indy for £4 and change and bought that, got a bid in for £1.50 on an Elite Force. Both look good, so here's hoping.

@Tjuz fingers crossed!

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Top drawer.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic