Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 6,381 to 6,400 of 7,479

RR529

@Ralizah, @nomither6, I'm so dumb...

Done. I should have the charger by Friday (hopefully that's what the issue is).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

johncalmc

I finished Super Mario 3D World the other day for the first time since I played it on Wii U and it hasn't changed my opinion at all. It's still for my money the most underrated 3D Mario game.

(And it's better than Odyssey)

Anyway, I had a proper urge to play Breath of the Wild which I also haven't played since it first launched. Playing it again I'm surprised that my feelings on it haven't changed at all. I still love it, mostly. The weapons still suck. The climbing is a double-edged sword that I don't think really improves the fun of the game at all. The shrines are still mostly excellent. Combat is still rough. Exploration is still fantastic. Atmosphere is top notch. Love cooking. Good.

johncalmc

Twitter:

RR529

@Ralizah, @nomither6, as a follow up, the good news is that the new charger arrived and did the trick.

Now, the rubber around the circle pad crumbled to bits when I started playing, but the button itself seems to still work fine, so other than that (and that I need to clean the screen), it looks like I can start diving back into it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Ryall

I do hope we get some kind of switch pocket eventually. Our crusty old hand held aren’t going to last forever and a chunk of the switches library is suitable to play on the smaller screen.

Ryall

nessisonett

In a bizarre but pretty cool move, Nintendo essentially recognise gay marriage in Japan while completely bypassing the government. Mario says gay rights I guess.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett The fact that such a move is indeed a little bizarre says it all, really. This is a brilliant move on the part of Nintendo, and the same wording should be adopted as policy by all companies, worldwide. It's such a tricky balancing act to strike the right tone, but Nintendo's nailed it here. Respectful without being preachy, cautious without being restrictive. It's a perfect statement.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

Next step: some form of representation in their games

Kidfried

RR529

Kidfried wrote:

Next step: some form of representation in their games

To be fair, same sex marriages/relationships are already possible in recent Fire Emblem games (& I believe Miitopia), and anyone can wear any clothing in Animal Crossing New Horizons.

Most Nintendo games (like Mario, Kirby, or Yoshi) are light enough on narrative/characterization in general that I can't think of anything else they could possibly need to do, outside of having an LGBT+ character in a Xenoblade (or possibly Zelda).

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Kidfried

@RR529 Well, a gay couple/person in a Mario or Zelda game would go a long way!

And it's cool to hear that Fire Emblem has the option for gay marriage. I don't really play Fire Emblem, so I never knew!

Kidfried

Ryall

@Kidfried is paper Mario the thousand year door Mario enough for you?

Ryall

nessisonett

@Ryall Vivian’s only trans in the Japanese and European language versions I think. Good old NoA ‘localised’ that for us.

Kidfried

@nessisonett And let's not forget that Vivian's preferred gender wasn't really acknowledged in-game.

(Some Zelda NPC representation shouldn't be that difficult.)

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried Yeah, it wasn’t exactly handled great but she’s still a bit of an icon. But then it’s often not handled great across Japanese devs. Atlus games are abysmal for it, even Kanji from Persona 4 relied on tired stereotyping even if the messaging was dead on. Zelda would be an ideal place to start given how diverse the NPCs in BotW are across the different areas of the map. Unless Groose counts as some sort of flamboyant man-child in denial.

nessisonett

@KidBoruto I’ve still only played the first Bayonetta as that’s actually available on PC and not annoyingly expensive thanks to the Switch Tax. It’s brilliant though, similar to DMC in many ways but somehow even more camp. It’s nice to have Bayo flaunt her sexuality on her own terms, a rarity in this industry.

Ralizah

lol

If BotW is anything to go by, people would just get angry if they decided to go down that route again.

Fire Emblem has actually had gay couplings for a couple of games now, but it's still not great. In the Fire Emblem Fates campaigns, you basically had one homosexual option for each sex: a goth-y stalker if you played as a female, and a dude who openly identifies as a sadist if you're playing as a male.

Three Houses is an improvement insofar as there are some really good choices for a lesbian playthrough. The male options, though... you basically get three: two old knight dudes and then Linhardt. Now, I like Linhardt, and he's thankfully a normal, attractive-looking guy, but I'd prefer more variety.

Although, tbh, even if you're all adults by the end of the game, dating your former students is still kind of creepy on its own.

There are also gay or implied gay characters throughout other games in the series as well.

There's also the curious case of Birdo, whose gender identity has flip-flopped across various Mario-related games.

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

KidRyan

nessisonett wrote:

@KidBoruto I’ve still only played the first Bayonetta as that’s actually available on PC and not annoyingly expensive thanks to the Switch Tax. It’s brilliant though, similar to DMC in many ways but somehow even more camp. It’s nice to have Bayo flaunt her sexuality on her own terms, a rarity in this industry.

Happy to hear you enjoyed your time with the game!

Hopefully Nintendo will eventually allow Platinum Games to release 2 & 3 on other consoles and PC.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

rockodoodle

RR529 wrote:

Am enjoying Mario Golf: Super Rush so far, though I don't think I'm a huge fan of Timed or Speed Golf, which seem to run counter to the vibe of Golf.

I'm in Balmy Dunes now (in the story mode) and have to say I really think the hub areas are really charming and surprisingly large (not sprawling or anything, but I thought they were all going to be as small as the Ridgerock Lake hub. Again, not a huge fan of the Timed or Speed Golf (which seem to be the only varieties explored in story mode, other than Cross Country Golf, which is only ruined because they put a timer on that too), but I do like the optional Driving, Approach, & Putting target challenges that open up in each area, and they can get surprisingly tough (it took me about 20 tries to clear the approach challenge in Balmy Dunes).

Standard Golf is super relaxing though & it's fun to hit the links with your Mario favorites. The New Donk City course may be my favorite so far (it seems like they simply imported the map wholesale from Odyssey & slapped some greens on it, instead of making a golf course first that happens to be NDC themed which makes it really interesting to play), though I like the chilled atmosphere of the more plain courses as well.

I am digging Golf as well. Didn’t like it at first, I guess bc of lack of content. But revisited and it is a lot of fun. Main problem I have with Nintendo on both party and sports game is their incomplete rosters. Wish they would add characters.

rockodoodle

kyleforrester87

Got my Xenoblade Chronicles 3 preorder down, the first new release I’ve played in months and months! Elden Ring was gifted so that does not count

I also have a £30 rebate when you spend £30 voucher from Very, so I am going to order Live Alive for £4.99 😜

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Ralizah

Just set up my Switch OLED and played a few stages in Tetris Effect on it, and the effect of the new screen is transformative. It almost feels like a brand new game.

THOSE COLORS

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic