Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 6,361 to 6,380 of 7,480

RR529

Am enjoying Mario Golf: Super Rush so far, though I don't think I'm a huge fan of Timed or Speed Golf, which seem to run counter to the vibe of Golf.

I'm in Balmy Dunes now (in the story mode) and have to say I really think the hub areas are really charming and surprisingly large (not sprawling or anything, but I thought they were all going to be as small as the Ridgerock Lake hub. Again, not a huge fan of the Timed or Speed Golf (which seem to be the only varieties explored in story mode, other than Cross Country Golf, which is only ruined because they put a timer on that too), but I do like the optional Driving, Approach, & Putting target challenges that open up in each area, and they can get surprisingly tough (it took me about 20 tries to clear the approach challenge in Balmy Dunes).

Standard Golf is super relaxing though & it's fun to hit the links with your Mario favorites. The New Donk City course may be my favorite so far (it seems like they simply imported the map wholesale from Odyssey & slapped some greens on it, instead of making a golf course first that happens to be NDC themed which makes it really interesting to play), though I like the chilled atmosphere of the more plain courses as well.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

R1spam

@Ralizah nice, I had seen some switch footage but not handheld, it looks solid! My copy arrives Saturday, can't wait to try it out

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Oh sweet, that does look surprisingly stable! No offence to the Switch, of course, and it's not like the game runs perfectly on PlayStation either, but Traveller's Tales have clearly made an effort to ensure that it's playable, and retains enough of its visual flair. Good to know, thanks!

Untitled

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RR529

Finished up Golf Adventure in Mario Golf Super Rush today. Mixed opinions on it overall, mostly because I don't think I'm a big fan of Speed Golf and almost every round was some variation of it (even with Cross Country Golf, I think the biggest problem is that they put a timer on it), however I did find myself enjoying the target challenges in each area (though most were optional), as well as the boss fights. The hub areas were cozy as heck, too.

I thought I was going to get a bit of a break in Wildweather Woods when one of the Toads said they don't play Speed Golf there due to things being so wet, then (other than the three hole practice round) it was all freakin' Speed Golf!?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

R1spam

@RR529 I'm right with you for speed golf, I traded the game in within a week of purchase as I really wasn't a fan. You would think that the moments between shots would be the most boring bit (for a golf party game anyway) but losing you watching the shot removes any stakes, with the stamina limit for running making time between shots actually seem more drawn out and slow.

XBOX: Placebo G

RR529

@R1spam, yeah, luckily you can still play regular golf outside of the story mode, and it really is fun & chill to do so, so I'm still getting mileage out of the game (they've added 5 more courses since the game launched, so it has a total of 11 now, with two of them having "amateur" & "pro" variants, so you could possibly count it at 13 if you wanted to).

I think they added a "Target Golf" mode as well (in addition to the Standard, Speed, & Battle modes), though I haven't tried it yet.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

nessisonett

Saudi Arabia acquiring 5% of Nintendo is particularly worrying. They literally banned Pokémon in 2001. Not to mention that they execute people like me. It’s fairly horrific for Nintendo Life to censor any comments pointing this out given that it’s about as on-topic as you get considering they’ve acquired shares in the very company the website is named after.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

johncalmc

I'm surprised to see largely whatevs coverage of the Saudi Arabia buying 5% of Nintendo thing. Like, shrug, Saudi Arabia is buying 5% of Nintendo and next the weather. When it should be more like murderous, anti-human rights, anti-woman, anti-gay etc. regime buys 5% of Nintendo and that sucks.

johncalmc

Twitter:

mookysam

@nessisonett Of course it's on topic. It makes me feel ill, actually. I don't really care about Saudi Arabia's stance on Pokémon, but the country's appalling human rights record and how gay people are executed should repulse us all. When people suggest topics like this have no place in gaming, what they are really saying is they don't want to be reminded of the existence of gay people; and so silencing gay people and allies is really just pandering to that mentality. Also sick of homophobes acting like my existence is some kind of political statement that is up for debate.

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

nessisonett

@mookysam The Pokémon aside was more pointing out the baffling nature of the investment as it’s hardly like anybody can say that they’re big supporters of Nintendo. Obviously that doesn’t compare to journalists being chopped up.

nessisonett

The new NSO games

Untitled

Ralizah

The Persona games are coming to Switch as well.

Hopefully people will finally shut up about it now.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah I can’t believe that Persona fans are finally able to play their first main series Persona game. Whoever would have thought we’d see the day.

Ralizah

@nessisonett I'm just excited that P5 will be playable on a portable device now. Also, this will be the definitive way to experience P3P, IMO.

Ralizah

Untitled

How is this a thing, but S-E apparently can't get some remastered PS2 games running natively on the system?

LtSarge

@Ralizah The game had frame rate issues on PS4, how are they going to make it run decently on Switch? So weird.

LtSarge

Ralizah

@LtSarge The Switch port of 13 Sentinels actually runs better than the PS4 version, so who knows? There was never a reason the game should have run poorly on PS4 to begin with. Maybe being forced to optimize for a weaker platform will actually lead to a more stable-performing version.

RR529

Not Switch related, but...

Since I'm on a bit of a 3D kick after my last several trips to the cinema I decided to dig out my old 3DS, until I realized I can't find the charger (it's not turning on). I figured what the heck, it's a crusty old launch model anyways, maybe I should just snag a newer model, it may be discontinued but it shouldn't be rare or anything since the system sold 60-70 million units...

...why in the holy #€¥π are these systems going for $400-$500 used! With that kinda money I could nab an Oculus Quest & save a couple hundred!

Maybe I'll try harder to dig out that charger...

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Ralizah

@RR529 Old gaming stuff has been going up in price since the pandemic.

Unfortunately, the 3DS library is composed mostly of exclusives that won't be ported to future consoles, so that's a gigantic library of games that'll become inaccessible until this bubble bursts.

edit: In fairness, though, they're still accessible on sites like ebay. After reading your post, went to ebay, and watched an auction for a "very good" condition XL model tick down in real time. Ended somewhere around $155, which is obviously still expensive for a used model of an old handheld, but still. Also saw some listings for the New XL model for a little over $200.

Where are you trying to find one?

edit 2: Also, you could always... buy another charger.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic