Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 6,401 to 6,420 of 7,477

Ralizah

Just set up my Switch OLED and played a few stages in Tetris Effect on it, and the effect of the new screen is transformative. It almost feels like a brand new game.

THOSE COLORS

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 As far as new releases at launch go, you could definitely do worse. People on both sides of the Xenoblade civil war who have played the leaked version seem to like it, which is a good sign, I imagine.

I'm not sure if I'm more impressed by the generosity of that rebate or baffled by the existence of a store called Very, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

RR529

Just put in my pre-order for XC3 myself.

Should definitely be able to polish off Stray before it arrives.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

Just downloaded XC3. I was going back and forth on whether I wanted to play it right now or not, but I've purchased all of MS' other games around launch still the release of Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, so no reason to stop now.

The premise of this game is eerily similar to the first Digital Devil Saga so far, with competing tribes of warriors locked in a meaningless, perpetual war that's fought across a desolate wasteland. Also, based on trailers for this game, there's a mechanic that seems very similar to the demon transformations in that game.

KilloWertz

Bought a Switch OLED yesterday from Amazon and got it delivered today. While I didn't play anything on it as I'm going mostly all digital with this, but I found the setup to me pretty easy for the most part since it shows how to do it all on screen. I had to look up how to install the microSD card, but otherwise it was easy.

I bought both Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and Fire Emblem: Three Houses. I will download them overnight and will likely start with the former tomorrow. Really excited.

Edited on by KilloWertz

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

CJD87

@KilloWertz The SWOLED is a great shout.

This generation, I think the combination of a Switch alongside either PS/XB allows you access to pretty much the best that gaming can offer. I travel for work, and my Switch is pretty much an essential accompaniment to any trip!

I had an original, and then upgraded to the OLED version late last year (mainly because of battery-life issues). Before I sold my original Switch, I did a side-by-side comparison - and you can genuinely see the improvements that the OLED screen brings to the table.

It is incredibly user-friendly as well, and such a wealth of AAA exclusive titles await you!

I played XB1 on Switch, and hear amazing reviews from XB3. What else is on your wish list? Zelda BOTW and Metroid Prime really show off what the OLED screen can do. I think Monster Hunter Rise is also a good demonstration of the console's capabilities, and very fun in multiplayer.

Add me mate if you want - my online code is SW-6657-2171-6029

Enjoy it though, you wont regret it!

CJD87

KilloWertz

@CJD87 Thanks. I plan on mostly playing it in docked mode, so technically I could have went with the original, but I might as well have gotten the OLED for only $50. The extra memory alone will be helpful along with the 512 GB microSD card I got for $60 since I will be mostly all digital.

Yeah, it is pretty easy to use so far. I haven't looked into the online code stuff yet, so I will add you tomorrow when I'm on there to play Xenoblade Chronicles for the first time. Maybe they could do without asking you to enter your password every time you load the Store, as the only real point of having requiring the password turned on is to prevent people from using your account to buy things, not to browse the Store. Otherwise I've been pleased with it so far without playing any games on it.

I will play both Metroid Dread and Breath of the Wild at some point. I'm less enthused about both than I should be because after watching gameplay of both on YouTube, it seems like both could really frustrate me. Between climbing potentially being a pain in the butt in Zelda and the EMMI portions of the game in Metroid, I'm a bit afraid I will get so frustrated with them I might want to drop them both. I will still give them both a try eventually though.

Others that come to mind are Bayonetta 1 & 2, Astral Chain, Severed Steel, Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes, all 5 Shantae games, Bravely Default 2, and Triangle Strategy.

CJD87

@KilloWertz IMO it absolutely makes sense to get the OLED over the original, assuming that the surplus cost isn't too much of an issue. Even if you only occasionally play handheld, the visual difference is justified.... not to mention of course the extra memory/storage in the OLED (vs 'normal' Switch).

Of the games you listed - my brother is currently playing Triangle Strategy and is raving about it. He also really enjoyed Fire Emblem, so perhaps you would like TS as well. Enjoy Xenoblade, probably one of the best JRPG stories of all time...!

CJD87

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

The premise of this game is eerily similar to the first Digital Devil Saga so far, with competing tribes of warriors locked in a meaningless, perpetual war that's fought across a desolate wasteland. Also, based on trailers for this game, there's a mechanic that seems very similar to the demon transformations in that game.

... Wait what? If you tell me that Yuri Lowenthal's in it or one of the cast members has a Jamaican accent I call BS 😂

I know absolutely diddly squat about this series beyond that I think they live on giant beings and it's a spirirtual successor to... Xenogears & Xenosaga? Or something? I dunno.

I know even less about those games seeing as none of 'em ever came out in Europe I don't think?

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@KilloWertz I'm pretty sure you can turn that off regarding the password. I only have to enter it when I purchase something from the store. Unless there has been a recent update as I've not used my Switch for months, I imagine there is an option in the settings somewhere you can filter.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

KilloWertz

@CJD87 Not that I have Nintendo Online, not yet at least, but I just added you.

Yeah, I have little doubt I'll like Triangle Strategy. I remember seeing somebody rave about it from here too. I think it was @Ralizah. I was a big fan of Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3, so Triangle Strategy and obviously Fire Emblem: Three Houses are no brainers. Might as well add Valkyria Chronicles 4 to my list then since I stupidly never played it on PS4. It's all just a matter of when since I'd rather not play too many similar games back to back.

Thanks. If I don't enjoy Xenoblade Chronicles, I need to just stop gaming.

@JohnnyShoulder Since I'm a new user, I'm not certain, but I would imagine there has been an update since you last used it. There usually is with these systems nowadays unless Nintendo is different in that way.

I'll look into it later when I'm ready to start playing Xenoblade Chronicles, but thanks for the tip.

kyleforrester87

@KilloWertz for what it’s worth I don’t like XBC1 at all really, tried to play it a few times and find it really boring. I really liked 2 and the jury is out on 3. So if you’re one of the rare breed who don’t like the first one, don’t give up on the series entirely!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

KilloWertz

I really hope I'm not another @kyleforrester87 though. I definitely wouldn't want that.

Well, actually I'm just hoping that I end up loving Xenoblade Chronicles as expected. I have pretty high expectations for it, obviously since it's a big reason why I bought the Switch. Still, thanks for the encouragement to stick with the series if not, even if I'd be really shocked if I didn't enjoy it.

My only issue of trying another game in a series if I didn't like one of them would be the fact that games are expensive on the Switch even if they are old. I'd probably still make an exception here, but in the end it is what it is and I don't want to beat a dead horse about game prices on the Switch store.

JohnnyShoulder

@KilloWertz I had a quick look on my Switch after I updated it, and I can access the store and view games without the need to enter a password. I couldn't find any settings pertaining to this either. I can only assume it is a weird regional thing. 🤷‍♂️

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Ralizah

@HallowMoonshadow Well, that depends. The Playstation-era games weren't released in Europe, but the original Xenoblade Chronicles actually released in the UK before the United States. This fact, which led to it being dubbed by Nintendo's European division, has led to a tradition of all the games' english dubs primarily featuring UK voice actors. A few are even fairly well-known, like Jenna Coleman, who voiced a major character in the first Xenoblade.

The Playstation-era Xeno games were generally overambitious, narrative-heavy JRPG epics that delved into heavy psychological, existentialist, and religious (primarily inspired by Christian Gnosticism) themes. What would become Xenogears was actually originally pitched as a potential script for Final Fantasy VII (the people heading Monolith Soft eventually broke away from Squaresoft to form their own development studio), but was rejected for being too dark and complicated for what the series was going for.

The Xenoblade games aren't really connected to previous Xeno games, although certain games take heavier inspiration from their early work, and there are a lot of references and thematic similarities to previous Xeno games in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (a couple of major characters from the Xenosaga trilogy actually appear in XC2 as unlockable party members). While there are some slight plot connections between the three mainline Xenoblade games, they're generally independent experiences connected by similar themes, character types, fictional species, gameplay elements, and so on.

@KilloWertz Yes, Triangle Strategy has probably become my all-time favorite tactical RPG. It's brilliant, and feels like a lost classic from PS1-era Squaresoft.

Edited on by Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Ooh well thanks for the little run down @Ralizah! Much appreciated

Hopefully you're enjoying Xenoblade Chronicles III despite the eerie similarities to DDS. If I recall you were a big fan of the second game and even moreso of it's expansion... Torna right?

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

KilloWertz

@JohnnyShoulder I did manage to find a setting to turn it off so I don't have to enter the password every time I open the eShop. Not that it really matters at this point I guess, but I figured I'd update anyways.

@Ralizah Yippee, I was right. lol

I'll definitely play Triangle Strategy at some point. I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles now, and I plan on playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses after that (maybe the original Bayonetta in between so I'm not playing back to back long games). Probably something else after that to break up the genres, so probably sometime next year for Triangle Strategy.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your Friend Code? Just looking to add some people I "know" so my friends list isn't so almost empty even though I doubt I'll do much online gaming on the Switch.

JohnnyShoulder

@KilloWertz Ah cool, good to know you solved it. That would do my head in too.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic