Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 5,901 to 5,920 of 7,477

Ralizah

@nessisonett 😂 Yeah, I noticed I accidentally lewded the N64 control stick.

Sorry not sorry.

People I've talked to have said it feels similar to the original. Hopefully, given the hefty price of it, there are less reports of the thing snapping off like there were with the original.

I'm still not a fan of it overall and think it looks like it was designed to be used by a three-handed alien, but certain N64 games unquestionably control better with it, and my opinion has softened enough over time that I'm almost tempted to order one.

@ me if you find it works well in games outside of the N64 app, if you don't mind. That would make me considerably more likely to grab this.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

mookysam

@nessisonett Ah cheers, that's good to hear. I don't think it's a terrible controller. Quirky maybe? It was outclassed by the Dual Analogue and what came after, but that to me says it was just a product of its time. I wonder what the reasoning behind the three-prong design was.

@Ralizah Well that made me spit out my tea. 😂 My original stick never snapped off (okay, I'm finding it tricky to type this now, damn your innuendo), but it did get extremely loose and wobbly to the point where I needed a new one. Later revisions seemed to strengthen the stick, and it didn't happen again.

Aside from the loose stick, I never had a particular issue with the controller, and at the time felt it was comfortable. Aside from the tiny analogue stick, the biggest problem is that games couldn't utilise the d-pad or L button while the middle prong was held. The Z-trigger felt like a great innovation, and was perfectly placed for Mario's ground pounds and Link's targeting in Ocarina. But then the c-buttons make so sense to me whatsoever, especially compared to the simple utility of a right analogue stick. Going back to it after years of using better controllers is a little strange, and highlights its shortcomings. Nowadays I think the main draw of the N64 controller is simply that it's what N64 games were specifically designed around, and of course nostalgia.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

@mookysam tbh everything about the N64 controller was a great innovation. Although Sony happened upon the right idea when it bolted two analog sticks to the bottom of its original Playstation controller.

With that said, going back to a lot of those old games on PS1, most of them didn't do much with that second stick at all. Actually, in some respects, the c-buttons felt more natural for their intended purposes. Too many PS1 games don't feel like they use the entire controller, which is awkward when you primarily or only play using a dualshock.

Although, obviously, the dualshock design itself aged incredibly well.

mookysam wrote:

but it did get extremely loose and wobbly to the point where I needed a new one.

Please tell me we are, indeed, still talking about an analog stick!

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah @mookysam The 3D All-Stars version of Super Mario 64 doesn’t work with this N64 controller. Since Nintendo mapped both A and B to jump in their infinite wisdom, you can’t punch or dive at all. So you couldn’t kill Bowser. Hopefully they patch it since they did with the Cube controller for Sunshine. So yeah, considering the N64 controller lacks X and Y, there’ll be a few games that just don’t work.

That being said, the stick really does work marvellously with that game. Mario’s annoying turning circle is mapped 100% to the stick’s movement so feels really natural.

Edited on by nessisonett

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett Can you remap the buttons on the N64 controller through the system itself like you can with most other controllers?

nessisonett

@Ralizah I didn’t check actually. I’ve never even attempted to remap controls but I’ll check tomorrow.

CJD87

@nessisonett @Ralizah
Yes guys I actually did this yesterday under the Switch 'System Settings' - - -> 'Controllers and Sensors' - - -> 'Change Button Mapping'

You can then save a button profile for future use, eg "N64 Profile", so you can flick back & forth between default and your new setup.

It's probably my only complaint regarding this update... feels horrendous playing Mario 64 and using 'A' to jump!

CJD87

LtSarge

@mookysam Not yet, I've been mostly playing Final Fantasy 7 the past few days but I've been wanting to get back into Metroid Prime 2.

I agree that the overall atmosphere and exploration aspects are great, but the combat feels rather underwhelming compared to say Metroid Dread. There's just not much versatility, you just lock on to a target and shoot. But I guess that's why they call these games "first-person adventure" and not "first-person shooter".

LtSarge

nessisonett

@CJD87 @Ralizah I tried with the N64 controller and got ‘Button mapping cannot be changed for this controller’. Brilliant.

RR529

I got to Raven Beak last night, and routinely got my butt kicked.

To be fair, by about the 3rd time I could clear the first phase with (near) full health, but he always seems to get me during the second phase, even only through war of attrition (I got good at dodging most of his attacks, but he always nickel & dimes me with that rapid fire attack & eventually wears me down before I can complete the phase).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

mookysam

Ralizah wrote:

Please tell me we are, indeed, still talking about an analog stick!

I rather hope so! We'll have to come up with a new name for analogue sticks now. 😂

@LtSarge It's funny, certain sections of the fanbase were apoplectic at the suggestion of the Prime games being FPSs. "First-Person Adventure" still sounds a bit silly, but they're not very good as FPS games, certainly not compared to the likes of what was on the original Xbox around the same time. It's functional combat, but not the main draw. The AI is just so dumb and the space pirates are bullet sponges!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

LtSarge

@mookysam Which makes me curious of how Prime 4 will turn out. Will it be another slow-paced first-person adventure or an actual first-person shooter this time? I think it would be very refreshing if the gameplay was more fast-paced like Dread while still retaining the first-person perspective.

LtSarge

RR529

Untitled

That final boss can @#$& right off, lol. Seriously, I played Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 & 2 a few months ago, and that was still one of the toughest bosses I've experienced all year. Satisfying to put him down, though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

@LtSarge Honestly, I’d prefer Prime 4 to slow the pace right down. The adventure elements are what I love about the Prime games and I wouldn’t want it to lose the isolation and atmosphere in favour of more action. I love the way bosses feel like puzzles instead of just shooting missiles in their face over and over.

LtSarge

@nessisonett I agree but I also feel like it's a missed opportunity to not have more action in a Metroid game, even if it's Prime. After all, Samus is supposed to be this badass bounty hunter but it doesn't feel like that when all the battles are fairly straight-forward. If the developers can find a good balance between action and puzzle-solving/atmosphere then that would be great.

LtSarge

LtSarge

It's looking like the online structure in Mario Party Superstars will actually be really good. The game saves after each turn and even if someone disconnects, the game will still keep going as the player gets replaced by a CPU. Then that person can rejoin and resume playing at the next turn.

This is honestly looking to become one of the best Mario Party games ever, I genuinely can't wait for tomorrow.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

nessisonett

Trying to get my mum to play Ocarina of Time did not end well.

“The graphics are shocking and it controls like arse”

I’ve created a monster. Oh well, back to Arkham City.

LtSarge

Got Mario Party in the mail today, played one game and man this game is so brutal compared to Super Mario Party. You can easily get screwed over, lol. But I'm loving it, it's pure classic Mario Party and I can't wait to play it online with my friends.

I also like how fast-paced the game is, not to mention that the mini-games are a good mix of skill and luck.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Kidfried

@nessisonett I'm not a fan of N64's Ocarina of Time controls. My best experience with the game was the GameCube remaster actually. Second place goes to when I played it as a rom on an emulator, and I have so far disliked the other options that are out there.

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried I first played it on GameCube so I do have a soft spot for that. 3D’s great though. Best experience is emulator for me just because you can add D-Pad shortcuts for changing boots and play Rando.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic