Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 5,921 to 5,940 of 7,479

Kidfried

NintendoLife's calling Super Mario 64 the greatest launch game ever made. They're horribly wrong of course. I don't think they're aware Tetris and Super Mario World exist.

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried In terms of that launch game ‘wow’ factor, Super Mario 64 probably wins. I prefer World as a game for sure but it’s not that much of a step up from SMB3 in scope. Tetris is also fantastic but honestly, it’s nothing that you wouldn’t think could fit on a handheld. Super Mario 64 was a huge leap up and did a lot right for early 3D games. It might not have aged magnificently but if you judge launch games based on the impact they made on release then I could absolutely understand it being the best launch game.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

BotW is probably my all-time favorite launch title to date, although SM64 is probably the most impressive game for its time period. Granted, it's rough as hell today, but going back and seeing what the competition was doing with their early 3D games, which usually came years after SM64... yeesh. That level of freedom of movement must have been mind-blowing at the time (I wouldn't know; I was a Sega and Playstation kid).

@nessisonett Aside from the overworld design, I'd argue SMB3 is the better game in many ways. And, if we're talking SNES platformers, Yoshi's Island > SMW every time.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Super Mario Bros 3 is one of those games that eludes me. I just don’t really get that much enjoyment from it at all. Maybe I’ll need to play the All-Stars version and see if I prefer that but yeah, the original didn’t gel with me at all.

Ralizah

@nessisonett That's basically how I am with SMW. NEVER understood the love for the game. Probably doesn't help that I'd never even played the game until the release of the Wii, and even then never bothered completing it until a few years ago. Ditto with SM64, although the legacy of that game is much clearer to me, like I said, when you look at other games that were around at the time. For an early 3D game, it's super impressive.

Something about the aesthetics of the All-Stars versions of the NES trilogy really bugs me, for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on it.

LtSarge

So I've played about six hours of Mario Party Superstars and as a whole, I don't think this is the ultimate Mario Party game that will replace Super Mario Party for me. Superstars definitely has much better mini-games than SMP, but it's not as strategic as SMP and therefore not as interesting to play. The fact that you could get different dice, allies and common items like golden pipes made SMP way more strategic and fun to play than Superstars. But as previously mentioned, the mini-games aren't as good and SMP is nowhere near as brutal as Superstars, which is one aspect that does make things more fun I'll admit.

But yeah, I think going forward I'll be switching between these two games as they both have different things to offer and complement each other quite nicely. Although the online experience is definitely much better on Superstars.

LtSarge

Ralizah

@LtSarge Question: my issue with recent Mario Party games is how heavily they've leaned on weird gimmicks that change the feel of the games. Like recent ones where everybody rode around in a car together, and I believe Super Mario Party is reliant on joycons. Is this more of a traditional Mario Party experience that people can play together with normal controllers?

LtSarge

@Ralizah Oh yeah, absolutely. In fact, Superstars is basically a collection of boards and mini-games from past Mario Party titles. The boards are a selection from the N64 games, while the mini-games have been handpicked from all the mainline entries. So they are all controlled with normal controls and there are no gimmicks whatsoever. That's actually another advantage Superstars has over Super Mario Party, even though I personally really liked the motion-controlled mini-games but I'm well aware that most people don't like that stuff.

LtSarge

nessisonett

@Ralizah @LtSarge I think I’d take motion controls over destroying my analogue stick!

Ralizah

@LtSarge @nessisonett If I get it, I wouldn't be playing it on my own. It'd be to play with family members occasionally. And, in that scenario, I want something simple, basic, and fun that won't cause any confusion or frustration. Also, normal controls expands the pool of available controller drastically, since I have an adapter that allows the use of the Wii U Pro and PS4 controllers in games.

Thanks for the concise answer, LtSarge!

Edited on by Ralizah

LtSarge

@Ralizah I do feel like Mario Party Superstars is definitely more simple than Super Mario Party. For example, you don't have to think about choosing between different dice. Moreover, the mini-games have very simple controls. Some only use the control stick to move around, some use the A and B buttons as well, then there are others where you just choose options with the control stick or simply mash the same button for a certain amount of time. On top of this, before you start a mini-game, you'll be able to practice it in real-time (without any loading screens) and learn how to play it before readying up. On the other hand, I've played SMP with friends who were annoyed by some of the mini-games that use motion controls as they just couldn't understand how to properly play the mini-games. So yeah, I definitely think Superstars is the way to go for a more simple experience.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

nessisonett

I started a new island in New Horizons in time for the update. Found a gold nugget on Day 2 so that should give me a good head start on paying off the first loan!

Ralizah

@nessisonett Yeah, I'm gonna be restarting my island on a Switch Lite so I can engage with the year and a half of updates I missed out on by not playing.

It'll be nice having everything available now. Was never a huge fan of this title's live service game approach.

@LtSarge Thanks, that definitely seals my decision.

nessisonett

@Ralizah The live service elements were why I dropped off completely. It will definitely be nice having a complete game on Friday.

LtSarge

So I just finished going through all five boards in Mario Party Superstars and I just have to say that some of them are just not fun at all to navigate. Yoshi's Tropical Island is nice, Space Land and Horror Land are my favourite ones, but Peach's Birthday Cake and Woody Woods are not that great at all. The problem with the Peach board is that it's too linear. It takes a long time to get to the star (which never moves btw) and after you pass it, you'll encounter a Goomba who will take 10 coins away from you and either lets you take a shortcut to the star or go the long way around to the star. The shortcut sounds good, but you will have to go past Bowser when you take this path and this means giving up 20 coins every time. So basically, when you reach the star again through the shortcut, you will have 30 coins less and most of the time you won't be able to afford the star. But if you take the long way around, it's going to take forever to get back to the star. Both options are just not fun at all.

When it comes to Woody Woods, there will be signs that change the direction you can go every turn. This means that if a star happens to land at a place where there are multiple signs on the way, you have to be extremely lucky that the signs change directions right as you need them to. On top of this, you will also have to roll a certain number to land between the signs so that you don't take the wrong path. In theory, this could turn out to be very annoying as players will keep circling around and not be able to take the right path because it changes all the time. It's not a fun mechanic at all.

I really hope that Nintendo adds more boards as DLC because these two are just not good at all.

LtSarge

R1spam

I just finished metroid dread, wow the last couple of bosses there are really tricky. They really test your pattern recognition in the last couple of hours in that game. To finish it, you really have to understand what's going on. Have to say it's my first metroid game and only my second metroidvania (the other being hollow knight, which I really dig) and man, I enjoyed it so much. The checkpointing felt pretty generous and because you never lost currency/progress, I felt much more inclined to try again. The only thing I would say is that some of the EMMI sections should be this tense game of cat and mouse but often it was quicker just to breakneck through those sections. Great game though my adrenaline is still pumping like 2 hours later!

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

R1spam

I also just say I checked out animal crossing 2.0 and have planted my first gyroid. I will be dropping the cash on the expansion. My daughter and I love that game, we have over 100 hrs just messing around.

XBOX: Placebo G

nessisonett

@R1spam Dread really is brilliant isn’t it? The checkpointing was generous but actually just respected your time a lot more than forcing you to find specific save points. Hopefully they integrate that into Prime 4!

CJD87

@R1spam @nessisonett

Glad to hear you guys both enjoyed Dread... I found it a real breath of fresh air, and a pleasant change from games that demand 50-70hrs for a normal playthrough.

I know some of the boss difficulty spikes have been somewhat contentious, but I personally enjoyed that - especially from a Nintendo game!

I liked that it was short as well, with my playthrough on normal taking about 10-11 hrs ish...

On a side note - I started BOTW a few days ago, somewhat late to the party here! I have decided to have it as my side/travel game whilst I'm working. So it will be an accompaniment to whatever I'm doing on PS. Assuming as Switch owners/players you guys have both done BOTW? What are/were your thoughts?

It just seems so huge, and I've sunk so many hours just enjoying cruising around... left the great plateau and scooping up the DLC items before getting back to the main path

CJD87

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic