Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 5,881 to 5,900 of 7,479

RR529

Okay, I thought it was just something they did for the trailer, but apparently everytime Sora lands the last hit in a Stamina battle the game enables the same effect used whenever you defeat a boss in Kingdom Hearts. That's actually really cool.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

Dread will have to be pretty exceptional to top Zero Mission for me, which is one of the few games I'd be comfortable saying is functionally perfect.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

LtSarge

@JohnnyShoulder Nintendo tend to release remasters while they have you wait for the next game in one of their franchises, Zelda being the best example. So hopefully they'll release the Metroid Prime trilogy on Switch when Prime 4 is nearing completion in order to generate hype.

I've played Metroid Prime 1 and 3 and they're both excellent games, so you have lots to look forward to! I think my favourite is still Prime 3 since it was my first Prime game.

LtSarge

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett @LtSarge I'm not sure why I want it so much, I've only played one Metroid game on SNES I think.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@Iver The sound design’s fantastic in Dread. I only played with proper headphones and it was definitely an experience when the E.M.M.I.s were homing in on me.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@Iver Oh not in the many at once sort of way, it’s more a plural in the number of times it happens!

mookysam

After finishing Metroid Fusion I finally got round to starting Metroid Dread. I'm reasonably early (I think?) and am now in the second area of the game having gone to the third area to get a triple beam. Thoughts so far are that the level design is excellent, and it looks and sounds lovely. I also appreciate how it links to Metroid Fusion, which was also quite story focused. Samus' fast movement is brilliant, too. I've been playing in handheld mode, but might see what it's like on the TV as Samus is rather small on the Switch's screen. I do have one complaint, and that is the bloody E.M.M.I.. Evading them while in their zones has been a little more tricky than I would like and led to many game over screens. I don't like them at all. Or the little robot things that just love to get in the way and deactivate Samus' cloak.

@LtSarge @nessisonett Ooh Metroid Prime 2 is excellent. I love the interconnected puzzles between the two dimensions of Aether, as well as the level more ambitious level design and general atmosphere. At the time of release was such a visual and aural treat. The not-quite-final boss is a giant pile of cow turd, however, especially on the GameCube. And the backwards and forwardsing that defined Prime 1 is even more pronounced, especially when collecting the wretched keys needed to access the endgame.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

LtSarge

@mookysam Yeah, I think the concept of having robots chase you might be a bit hit or miss with the players. It's certainly one of the hardest 2D Metroid games I've played, but I don't think it's unfair at all. The game certainly gives you the tools to evade them but yeah, it still requires a lot of skill. I do think it's an interesting and refreshing spin on a formula that has otherwise been the same for the past thirty years.

I actually started up Metroid Prime 2 earlier today after all the talk about it and it's really good so far! I've missed playing the Prime titles, they're way more slow-paced than the 2D Metroids but still a lot of fun. I'll definitely have to take my time with this game as I'm trying to scan everything that I come across. I also forgot how exceptional the music is in these games, it's so epic! Can't wait to play more of it soon.

LtSarge

RR529

Getting what are traditionally late game upgrades, Space Jump, Gravity Suit, so I imagine I must be getting close now.

While I appreciate that they wanted to try something new, and they're novel enough the first few times, I ultimately don't think the game's better off with the E.M.M.I., and am enjoying it more during the more traditional gameplay.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

CJD87

@RR529 Same, and have just pulled the Gravity Suit also... really enjoying the game in general though.

I couldn't agree more regarding your EMMI comments. I think the principle/concept of what the devs were looking to implement is sound, but the execution is very lacking... my heart sinks every time I enter the EMMI 'zones'!

What are your biggest pros/cons for the game? For me, I am genuinely surprised/impressed by the difficulty curve - particularly some of the boss fights. The twin robots were probably the closest I've ever come to rage quitting a Switch game... but in a good way!

CJD87

RR529

@CJD87, by the "twin robots" are you referring to the Chozo warriors who attack you shortly after you obtain the Storm Missiles?

I beat them on my first try, but it was close (I had less than 10 Energy left, lol). I've actually really enjoyed the bosses so far. Some of them seem so impenetrable that first try, but I don't think I've had any take me more than 3 tries to best so far.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

nessisonett

Apparently the N64 games aren’t arriving until about 3AM here. I hate that worldwide releases just mean we get screwed over continually.

nessisonett

Expansion Pass is £21.03 for me. Not bad in the slightest.

Alright, this upscaling job on the N64 games is glorious. Genuinely, I wanna know what they’ve used because it’s very very impressive. Super Mario 64 looks as good as the 3D All Stars version. There’s no way Ocarina of Time looked that clean last time I played it.

Edited on by nessisonett

CJD87

@nessisonett I was roughly the same price-wise, approx ~£20 due to renewal timings etc... Which title are you most looking forward to playing?

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I had no qualms in paying this for the titles on offer. With no means to emulate, or a viable historic console, the Switch is the only medium I have available to play these games. (However, I can appreciate that for those with the means to emulate and/or those who already own hard copy games then this is a less-than-desirable offer. Although surely the convenience factor counts for something)

Coupled with the fact that I've not played OoT or M64 since release (I was maybe 11yrs at the time!) means that the experiences will be pretty fresh for me on all.

The promise of Banjo and Majora is also a big sell for me. Mario Kart 64 is a scream also, although this version will never beat the chaos of being huddled around one of your mate's tiny televisions with the screen split into 4 x teeny boxes ha!

CJD87

nessisonett

@CJD87 I think I’m looking forward to Ocarina of Time using the N64 controller that’s arriving today. I’ve played that game many times, on GameCube, 3DS and randomised runs but I’ve never played the original version with an N64 controller. Mario Kart 64 is also a lot more fun than I thought it would be and Mario Tennis is actually not far off the newer games at all.

mookysam

@nessisonett I'd be curious to hear how you find Super Mario 64 with the N64 controller. My biggest complaint with the 3D All Stars version was how the controls weren't properly tuned to the Switch controller, which made it very imprecise. I never had a problem playing Ocarina of Time with the GameCube, but it'd be nice to play it while holding that monstrous piece of N64 plastic again. Great to hear that the upscaling is so good. Ocarina of Time is still amazing, and I think that for all the benefits of the 3DS remake, I still prefer the aesthetic of the original.

@LtSarge I'm finding the E.M.M.I increasingly tricky haha. Last night I beat Kraid, and loved his reappearance. It wasn't a surprise, unfortunately, because Nintendo spoiled so much with the trailers.

Have you had a chance to play more Metroid Prime 2? The slower pace and focus on exploration is lovely, although the combat rather sucks. And yeah, the music is wonderful. 😀 A section in the second main area of the game has a very nice remix of a Super Metroid tune!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

nessisonett

@mookysam Super Mario 64 feels a lot better actually. The games feel like they were properly designed for that stick. I haven’t tried it with the All-Stars version though so I’m not sure if it maps the correct controls or not. I actually really like the controller, the layout makes sense to me after all these years of being told it was a terrible controller: The middle prong feels like a Wii Nunchuck. Also, that Winback game is seriously good fun. Me and my brother were laughing our heads off playing it against each other.

Ralizah

Mario's movement in SM64 is intimately tied to slight tilts in the N64's stick, which is different than ones you'll find on modern controllers. It's stiff, long, and feels quite a bit different than anything I've used on subsequent systems.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Marvelous innuendo aside, I really do love that controller. Perhaps the new wireless one feels better than the original one but it controls great and me and my younger brother were fighting over who got to use it over the Switch Pro controller playing Mario Kart.

Ralizah

@nessisonett 😂 Yeah, I noticed I accidentally lewded the N64 control stick.

Sorry not sorry.

People I've talked to have said it feels similar to the original. Hopefully, given the hefty price of it, there are less reports of the thing snapping off like there were with the original.

I'm still not a fan of it overall and think it looks like it was designed to be used by a three-handed alien, but certain N64 games unquestionably control better with it, and my opinion has softened enough over time that I'm almost tempted to order one.

@ me if you find it works well in games outside of the N64 app, if you don't mind. That would make me considerably more likely to grab this.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic