Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 5,661 to 5,680 of 7,477

Ralizah

New SMT V trailer tonight!

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

LtSarge

After this Pokémon Presents, I feel like my opinion of the two Pokémon games has definitely improved, although I'm still skeptical about Legends.

So the Diamond/Pearl remakes look much better now compared to when they showed off the games last time. The expanded Underground mechanic looks incredibly good as well and it's nice to see some new content. Hopefully they'll have some form of a "Delta Episode" post-game content similar to ORAS. But yeah, after having watched the new gameplay footage and listening to the nostalgic soundtrack, I think I might just have to buy this game at launch.

So my problem with Legends is that there's no significant goal with the game. It's just going out on missions and observing/collecting Pokémon in order to complete your Pokédex. While the open world looks great and the new mechanics look like a ton of fun, I just don't think I'd play it for that long. I've been completing Pokédexes for so many games now that to have it as the primary goal in a Pokémon game is not appealing to me at all. Not to mention that the game comes out three months after D/P remakes and I would imagine playing them back-to-back so close to each other would make you easily burn out on the franchise.

So right now, I'm more positive about D/P remakes while still skeptical about Legends. I doubt that there will be anything that changes my mind about that game given it's not long until it comes out. I just feel like it's another experiment for Game Freak just like the Sword/Shield DLC and in a couple of years, we're going to finally get an actual open world Pokémon adventure.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Ralizah

Those flying sequences look like fun. Unless they're just dressed up cutscenes, which is possible.

tbh a single player-only entry where you're exploring and collecting Pokes is EXACTLY what I've wanted from the series for a while. I'll still wait for reviews, but I'm feeling optimistic again.

crimsontadpoles

I'm liking what I'm seeing from those Pokemon trailers. The DP remake trailer looks faithful to the originals, keeping the magic they had. I'm curious how they're going to handle HMs, roaming legendaries, and the Safari Zone though, as I could see these getting changed. Also wondering if there'll be any major Platinum content, though I don't expect that.

As for Legends Arceus, the framerate is much better now, and it's wonderful that they're trying something new here. My one concern is with the exploration. Is it going to be fun to explore the different areas, or will the locations quickly get dull?

I'm still optimistic about both of these, but not enough to preorder. Reviews will be useful for me.

Edited on by crimsontadpoles

LtSarge

@crimsontadpoles That's another thing: the exploration aspect. It's not hard to see that the game is heavily inspired by Breath of the Wild, but that game worked because it had such a great exploration factor. There were always shrines to find, towns to discover and puzzles to solve. However, Pokémon isn't really known for exploration and even looking at the Sword/Shield DLCs, the open worlds are very empty and the primary thing you can do is catch Pokémon.

Naturally we'll have to wait and see more of the game to get a better picture. But if the exploration is limited to for example going to some ruins and discovering Regirock there, then I'm not interested.

(Btw, I'm KratosMD. This is the first time we're talking since I returned to the forums a couple of days ago so I didn't want to stay quiet about it since I've already told other people)

LtSarge

nessisonett

I’m actually quite excited for the future of Pokemon now. They’re really trying to do something new, which I appreciate. At least they’re ambitious.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

I caught Mewtwo in Pokemon Yellow there, finally getting every single achievement through RA. That’s the first time I’ve actually caught them all, although obviously minus the ones you can’t get in Yellow like Ekans/Arbok, Mew etc.

Ralizah

Not gonna front: I'm super excited to see ANYTHING Monster Rancher after the series has been dead for so long, even if they're just ports of the first two games. Monster Rancher 2 is one of the best games on the PS1.

Edited on by Ralizah

Kidfried

I used to love Monster Rancher, and I've put so many hours into the PS1 and Advance games, but it's going to take more than this to get me to buy a Monster Rancher game!

Kidfried

nessisonett

Onto the final dungeon now of the pretty decent Minish Cap. As a recent 2D Zelda sort of convert, I can now tell the goodies from the ok ones. It’s not up there with LttP or Link’s Awakening but it’s a fun time for the most part with a lot to do for a GBA game. The graphics are lovely too, very impressive. It’s just a bit obtuse at times and the kinstones are maybe a little too vast a mechanic.

LtSarge

@nessisonett Minish Cap is one of the few Zelda games I've yet to play through along with Majora's Mask, Phantom Hourglass and Zelda II. Started it up and played for a few hours before I got stuck and stopped playing it. From what I've played though, it does seem like one of the weakest games in the series. Hopefully I'll be able to give it a proper go one of these days.

LtSarge

Haruki_NLI

First ever price cut for Switch has happened 4.5 years into its life - price varies but it's cut across Europe. £259 or €269 are the prices reported. Appears to be permanent.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Th3solution

I don’t keep up with this thread typically, due to not having a Switch (or any Nintendo products), but occasionally go through the internal debate about joining the Switch family. I’ve played a little off and on with friends’ Switches and had mixed experiences, some of which I’ve mentioned in the past.

I intro this to just apologize if this comes across as a dumb question or something that’s been covered in this thread or elsewhere before, but I was wondering about this “cloud gaming” thing I’ve heard mentioned. So how does it work? And I don’t mean the technical details necessarily, but I understand it to be possible to play current gen level games on the older and constrained hardware of the Switch through this cloud gaming? Is it basically streaming games onto the Switch that it can’t handle playing natively? And if so, how do people find it — does it work well? Are you getting good visual fidelity through using this gaming route to experience a higher level software? Decent stability and frame rate? Good resolution?

And how does it work, as far as on the system? Is there an app for “Cloud gaming” that you click on and it runs within the console that way? Is it only exclusive to GamePass, or is there a Nintendo app or a bunch of third party apps which are separate? What would I be looking at cost-wise to be able to play games through the cloud? Is it all service based like GP or do you actually buy a copy of say, RE8 or AC Valhalla, and stream it through an app on the Switch?

Now that we know the Switch Pro or Switch 2 isn’t in the immediate future, I have no reason necessarily to wait for that, so was wondering if this cloud thing was a way for Nintendo to ‘keep up’, so to speak, with the increasing hardware demands of third party output. I understand that the main reason to own a Switch is for the large library of first party games and to play things that are made to run well on the handheld, and for fans this is reason enough to own one. I’ve long considered buying one just to play Breath of the Wild, Octopath Traveler, Xenoblade Chronicles, etc. But if I’m going to get 4-6 years of use out of the product, I’m wondering if the added bonus of playing current level third party new releases would put this over the top.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Octane

@Th3solution Yeah, it's just streaming the games, like Stadia. If you have a good internet connection, it works apparently surprisingly well. But still, it's never as good as native play, and you're paying full price for limited time access to the game. As a owner of multiple consoles, I fail to see the point.

Octane

nessisonett

@Th3solution Each cloud game has their own app that you buy outright. They have a trial so you can test your internet and tolerance for streaming. They work alright to be honest. If I didn’t have anything else, I’d definitely use it for Hitman 3 because I’d have done anything to play that game.

LtSarge

@Th3solution I played through a bit of Control on the Switch and it ran surprisingly very well. The problem with these standalone releases is that you're essentially paying almost full price for a game you'll never own because it's cloud-based. In that regard, I don't recommend supporting this approach at all. It's not worth the money and you never get to own these games.

Now, that's not to say that cloud gaming is a bad idea. I've been convinced that cloud gaming is wonderful if you have the right tool for it and in this case, Game Pass is that tool. To elaborate, Game Pass is a subscription service where you "rent games", meaning you never own these games to begin with. That's why it's a good idea to subscribe to Game Pass for the low price so that you can experience cloud gaming without having to pay €40-50 for each title like you'd do with Control on the Switch. If someone told me that I could play through the entirety of Control for only €15, I'd do it because to me that amount is worth it for the experience even if I don't get to own the game. Furthermore, the neat thing about Game Pass is that Microsoft has started rolling out cloud gaming which comes with the service (Game Pass Ultimate to be more specific). Cloud gaming with Game Pass means that you don't need to own an Xbox or even a good PC to run the games. You just need a computer or a smart device and a controller. Even a DualShock 4 (and maybe DualSense, not sure though) will work. Then you just go to xbox.com/play on your web browser, sign in with an account where you are subscribed to Game Pass Ultimate and you're ready to play hundreds of games through the cloud. To be clear, you can literally play Xbox games on your web browser and you only need a controller. Don't know about you, but I still find this to be some sort of magic, lol.

Now the experience may vary depending on your internet connection. My connection is fairly solid and I managed to play through the entirety of The Medium with barely any issues. Every 5-10 minutes I would hear some weird crackling with the audio and a brief amount of lag, but other than that the game ran very well. Also keep in mind that Xbox Cloud Gaming is still in the beta phase, meaning that they're going to improve upon the experience in the future. Right now though, I wouldn't recommend playing games through Xbox Cloud Gaming that require pinpoint accuracy.

It's all worth it though if you ask me. For example, The Medium is a next-gen exclusive so you can't play it on your PS4 or Xbox One. I managed to play through it on my web browser and I didn't even have to download anything. I just started up the game, waited roughly ten seconds and I was playing it. That's another advantage of cloud gaming, you can pretty much sample any game without having to download dozens of GBs.

I kinda went off a bit there, but the point is that if you want cloud gaming, I wouldn't recommend the approach developers are taking on the Switch. Instead, I highly recommend Game Pass Ultimate. If you're looking for first-party titles and gaming on the go, then yeah the Switch is a wonderful device to own. And no, Game Pass isn't available on the Switch, unfortunately.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

RR529

Yeah, I subscribed to Game Pass Ultimate over the summer (at the time they had a deal where you got 3 months for $1) just so I could try out cloud gaming without having to invest a lot into it.

I usually played on my Fire tablet with my DualShock 4 or my phone with one of those controller grips, and really got into playing Forza Horizon 4 for awhile and it worked really well with my home wi-fi.

Keep in mind that lag isn't the only thing you have to watch out for while using the cloud though. Sometimes the image will have to buffer & things will get really pixely for a bit (granted, this wasn't an issue at home, but on my work's wi-fi when I was playing during lunch I had more issues with the resolution tanking than I did with lag).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Th3solution

@Octane @RR529 @LtSarge @nessisonett
Thanks for the info. That helps. For some reason I thought GamePass had already become available on Switch, but I guess that’s still a rumor. I’m not too excited about streaming games in general, but certainly don’t feel at all thrilled about buying a game that I only can stream. If I buy a game I want to be able to play it without the lag, and especially on a mobile device I need to be able play it on the go — on the train, on the road, etc.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Matroska

Really got back into my Switch recently. Not only have I got it set up to remote play my PS5, I bought the Hori split controller so it doesn't feel awful to use in handheld. It doesn't get much comfier than playing Skyward Sword, BotW, or Ace Attorney in bed.

Untitled

Matroska

PSN: Matroska_

Ralizah

@Matroska Must have hacked it, right? Can't imagine how else you'd be able to set up PS5 remote play on a Switch.

I have the SPP, but I haven't used it since I got my Lite, really. The Lite is just so much nicer for handheld play compared to a Switch with the SPP attached, which makes it gigantic.

With that said, the turbo button on the SPP was a lifesaver for Animal Crossing.

How are you liking the non-motion controls for Skyward Sword? I haven't tried it out yet.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic