Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 5,681 to 5,700 of 7,480

JohnnyShoulder

@Matroska I was looking to get one of those as I find the face buttons really uncomfortable with the joy con's on some games.

I did get a pro controller for playing during breaks in work on my TV, which is so much better. I finally managed to get past the section I was stuck on in Ori.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LtSarge

Well I finally caved in and ordered a new pair of joy cons for my Switch. I've had my Switch since 2018 and the original joy cons I got with it have always been faulty. I think it's because the store I bought it from sold me a used Switch even though they said it was new. Anyway, the triggers didn't feel good to use and the left joy con's control stick doesn't respond when tilting it in certain directions, which affected gameplay for games such as Pokémon Let's Go (I couldn't run in certain directions) and Layton's Mystery Journey (the cursor wouldn't move as fast in certain directions). On top of all this, I started experiencing drifting in both of my joy cons earlier this year and it has made some games absolutely infuriating to play (such as Super Mario Party). So I've been meaning to buy new joy cons all this time and this week I saw that an online store was selling a pair at a reduced price for €60 (normally they cost €80) and I got an additional 10% off from a discount code they sent me, so ultimately I paid €54 for new joy cons, which is a much better price than the standard €80, which is absolutely ridiculous.

I never wanted to buy new joy cons because a) I shouldn't have to buy new controllers for a system that I've had for only three years and b) the new joy cons are also going to exhibit the same drift issues in a couple of years time, so what's the point. Well, considering Nintendo has announced their next Switch and it's basically a standard Switch with a few improvements and they haven't improved the joy cons, I felt like I might as well just buy a new pair now since it'll most likely be a while before they announce a next-gen system. So why play amazing upcoming games like Metroid Dread, Mario Party, Pokémon D/P remakes etc. with faulty controllers when I can at least use the new ones for a couple of years and have normal good experiences. But it's still so annoying that it had to be this way. Either way, I'm not buying another pair of joy cons even if these ones exhibit drift issues as well until Nintendo announces their next system.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

ralphdibny

I know I shouldn't have but I ordered 3 switch games that came today:

WarioWare: Get it Together
Neo Geo Pocket Selection Vol. 1
Game Builder Garage

Playing too many games at the moment though so I'm I don't know when I'll get time to play these. Most excited for WarioWare though!! I love that series

See ya!

LtSarge

@ralphdibny I've only played a few WarioWare games, one of them being Smooth Moves on the Wii, which I really liked. I don't like this series that much since they're just a collection of "micro" games, but the Switch game actually looks really fun. Hope you'll enjoy it!

LtSarge

ralphdibny

@LtSarge cheers! Yeah should be good. Ive been playing them since the first one on the GBA. The only ones I haven't played are Twisted which didn't get a UK release and DIY/DIY Showcase.

I don't really see it as a collection of microgames, instead I just see it as a game in of itself. The game is being thrown into random situations (microgames) and solving them quickly. I've got no idea about this one in particular but normally there's a story mode which takes you through each level where a selection of microgames are thrown at you to solve. Then I think you can replay the levels past the story modes boss, so if story mode has like 15 microgames per level then you can go beyond that when you replay and it gets faster and faster every time you hit the boss. Then you can go in and do the individual microgames and it's layed out similarly so they just get faster over time and you can get high scores depending on how far you get. There's often loads of random modes and extra games thrown in too that don't really fit the microgame format. Sometimes they are microgames expanded into longer experiences or they can just be random games, toys, accessories, demos, weird stuff like that. I've never felt short-changed by a WarioWare game especially since they are normally budget releases

See ya!

LtSarge

@ralphdibny Yeah I just don't like replaying stuff I guess. The story mode in this game looks great but it seems like it's only a couple of hours long. The way I tackle games, I would just finish up story mode and then put the game away, lol. Which I know is not the best way to experience these games. So that's why this series doesn't interest me that much outside of the few games I've played.

Speaking of which, did you ever own a Nintendo DSi? I don't think many people remember it nowadays but that system actually had an exclusive digital only WarioWare game called "Snapped" and it utilised the camera of the system in order to let you control the microgames with your head and hands. While it was a very cool idea, the camera would rarely work in your favour so it always felt like a miracle whenever you completed one stage, lol.

Admittedly, the video makes it look really fun though but trust me, it would never work this smoothly, lol.

LtSarge

ralphdibny

@LtSarge yeah that's fair enough. I don't think it's really a "replay" game in terms of the story if that makes sense. It's more akin to an arcade game or a fighting game. But it has way more variety than most arcade games which is what keeps me interested.

I didn't own one at the time (I might have picked one up at some point and it's knocking around in my house somewhere, not sure) but I did buy that Snapped on the 3DS as it has some DSi games available. Yeah it's trash lol. Barely worked at all.

The ones I have and have loved are the GBA original and it's multiplayer GameCube big brother, Touched on DS, Smooth Moves on Wii and Gold on 3DS. I don't massively rate Game & Wario on Wii U but i haven't given it a huge amount of time because it didn't hook me immediately.

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny The turtle stacking game in WarioWare on GameCube is one of my favourite party games ever. It’s just brilliant.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett I used to like the wrapping spaghetti round the fork in the GBA one. Of course, when you stuck it in the GBA player, it became much easier with the GameCubes analog stick so I have a ridiculously high score on it!

See ya!

nessisonett

@Ralizah I really really hope we see a new Mario game. It’s basically been since Odyssey unless you count Mario Maker 2. A new 3D Mario would be very cool, even if it’s just the Galaxy 2 to Odyssey.

nessisonett

I’ve just seen that the Nintendo Direct will be at 23:00 in the UK. What the actual hell.

Octane

@nessisonett It's usually later in the evening, but I don't think it was ever this late before.

Octane

nessisonett

@Octane It’s usually between 14:00 and 20:00 at the very latest. This is very late for a Direct.

Octane

@nessisonett Probably because they also want to give Japan a shot at watching this one. Whether that means anything, I dunno. Could be a biggie.

Octane

Ralizah

@nessisonett A one-two punch of BotW2 and SMO2 in Holiday 2022 would be killer. Although I think we're late enough in the generation that they'll probably just develop the next 3D Mario as a launch-window exclusive for the Switch successor instead. One new 3D Mario per generation seems to be the standard, and Nintendo seems weirdly hesitant to acknowledge that Galaxy 2 even exists.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Octane

I'd rather have a new Mario. I think they're perfectly fine as they are, but a second one would probably overstay its welcome.

Maybe we'll get Pikmin 4, lol who am I kidding.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

The Direct in September 2019 was this late for the UK.

It usually airs around 10pm for us if it has mature content though. Makes me think some 18+ stuff will feature heavily

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

RR529

@Haruki_NLI, there's rumors over on NL about Capcom working on a Resident Evil built for Switch, plus a possible GTA collection, & of course Bayonetta 3 has to pop up at some point.

If any one of those show up that's probably why.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Octane

@Haruki_NLI That doesn't make any sense, because it's still in the afternoon for most of NA, and in the morning for Japan. Mature content isn't going to affect the time it airs.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic