Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 5,581 to 5,600 of 7,480

Ralizah

@Ryall Stationary platforms will always give better performance. With that said, the internals are pretty powerful, so most modern games should run pretty well on it. Especially at 720p. It's probably the closest we'll be coming to a handheld PS4.

Battery life is another question altogether, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ryall Think it looks great for the price. About half the price of a decent laptop for games. I have about 800 games on Steam last time I checked anyway and that would be ready to go on that device. One thing I’m worried about is that it’s running Steam OS. That means only games with Linux ports would work. However, you can install Windows on it instead, opening it up to emulators and such so if you’re willing to footer around with it then you’ll be getting a great little device.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett

The IGN piece specifies that it's "capable of running both Linux and Windows games."

This thing is actually able to run recent-ish stuff like Death Stranding, lol.

Even though I hate the control layout, I'm super tempted to reserve this.

Edited on by Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

Well impressed with the Steam Deck. They got the price point right too, I think. I hear it will be £350 in the UK.

@Ralizah - “Steam Deck’s onboard 40 watt-hour battery provides several hours of play time for most games,” Valve says. “For lighter use cases like game streaming, smaller 2D games, or web browsing, you can expect to get the maximum battery life of approximately 7-8 hours.” Valve tells IGN that “You can play Portal 2 for four hours on this thing. If you limit it to 30 FPS, you’re going to be playing for 5-6 hours.”

Doesn't sound too bad, but will be interesting to how it copes with more recent games.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Haruki_NLI

@JohnnyShoulder Gonna say, a game from 2011 getting 4 hours of battery life isn't bad.

It's also a really weird game to highlight. Not using anything from the past 10 years that's more intensive.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

nessisonett

@Haruki_NLI Portal 2’s both a classic and made by Valve. It’s also the last single player game they made so makes sense to use that as a benchmark given multiplayer games aren’t as easy to measure battery life with due to differing intensity!

Ralizah

If Portal 2 is eating the battery in four hours, I can only imagine what more recent and demanding games will do. Keep a battery bank handy, I guess.

Although if I got one, probably 90% of my time would be spent playing visual novels, so...

I've gotta say, using this announcement to capitalize on anger and disappointment over the Switch OLED was pretty smart.

Edited on by Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

And once you load windows onto it, presumably Gamepass would work on it too. Might be a bit redundant once X Cloud is everywhere, but not everyone wants to turn their mobile phone into a handheld gaming machine.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Ralizah

@JohnnyShoulder Considering latency issues with streaming, I don't think it'll be making anything redundant, lol.

Streaming is especially not tempting when it comes to portability. The entire appeal of portable hardware for me is being able to play something anywhere. In and out, whenever you want. If I have to be tethered to a high-speed internet connection, I might as well go play on a more powerful device I already own.

Although it might come in handy for people who don't want to bother upgrading to next-gen hardware, I guess, and have rock-solid internet.

Edited on by Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah Yeah that's true. I tried Stadia the other day but it the games were unplayable for me. Yet PS Now using my PS5 is OK.

ralphdibny

So my Zelda packages arrived today.... A few thoughts...

I never actually noticed that the joy cons were different colours. I just thought they were both blue in all the pictures I've seen but one is actually purple. Makes sense I guess because of Fi/master sword! I also forgot they come with straps because they are normally boring plain black ones. These ones are grey with a patterned blue wrist strap which is nice

Not sure if these will my go to controllers as I still love my GameCube purple and spice orange set. But they are cool nonetheless

The amiibo isn't that big. It's not £22s big anyway. I know they bumped the price of amiibos from £13 to £15 but I'm struggling to understand why this one is an extra £7 on top of that. It's more or less a similar form factor to other amiibos. It's definitely nowhere near the size of £30 Detective Pikachu which is huge!! I'll probably leave it in the package and flip it if it gains significant value and I can actually be bothered to do so.

Game, not much to say about the game. I haven't looked at the keyring yet but it comes in a little faux seude bag which I guess is nice. I haven't opened the steel book either and probably won't bother for a while, if at all.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

mookysam

@ralphdibny My Zelda joy-cons and amiibo arrived today, but not the game itself. The joy-cons are a lot, lot nicer than I was expecting, as I wasn't sure if they'd look a little tacky. I really like the colour contrast between the blue and purple, so have put them on my Switch unit. I'll probably start the game as soon as it arrives, and shall update my earlier Skyward Sword review accordingly.

@Ralizah SMT V looks epic! The visuals are okay, given the hardware's limitations, so no real disappointment there, although I hope the framerate doesn't struggle too much. I like how confident it seems with its cinematic storytelling, and it's very Nocturnie-ish. The battle animations are quite nice!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

ralphdibny

@mookysam ahh sweet! Yeah they are really nice. I'm just a sucker for anything Zelda related if it's a peripheral. Still got my gold Wii mote from the original release!!

Gutted about two things though.... We never got the gold nunchuk as a club Nintendo reward in the UK. Would have gone amazing with my gold Wii mote and my gold club Nintendo Wii wheel! Also we never got that Hylian Shield 2DS XL here in the UK. That would have been a day one buy for me!! I think these joy cons especially, are filling the fomo I had from that 2DS

I'll probably play the game with my partner this time, sometimes I want to relive these amazing moments in my life with someone else to share it with. I'll have a mosey over to the review thread and check out your SS review at some point (pre update) I want to see how the two compare for you. I haven't played it since I came out so I suspect I won't remember a lot of it!

See ya!

RogerRoger

I was able to give The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD a try yesterday, and I'm sorry to say that I wasn't impressed in the slightest. Super Mario 3D All-Stars might've been an insultingly lazy bunch of ports, but then Link's Awakening was a delightful, loving remake packed with heart and soul, so I obliviously turned up with slightly higher hopes. That's on me.

But many of its textures are inexplicable, and the button controls are needlessly complex and woefully counter-intuitive (which is a shame, as they're precisely why my partner wanted the game, as he struggled with the pure motion controls of the original). Why isn't there an option to customise them?

I feel sorry for my partner, as he was really looking forward to finally being able to experience the game for himself but, as it stands, he's just paid £50 for another way to not play it.

Apologies to super-fan @mookysam because I was really looking forward to seeing what the game had to offer, either vicariously through progress updates from my partner or for myself, by playing it for him during my visits. Neither will happen now. I wrestled with the controls for half an hour to get my partner's playthrough unstuck, and then back-tracked to replay some of the tutorials for context, but I was just overcome by so much frustration and rage because of the intransigent controls, to the point where I couldn't even begin to appreciate the story, characters or level design.

I really, really hope you have a better time with it, and that you're able to relish its nostalgia!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Haruki_NLI

@RogerRoger Switch button controls are customisable on an OS Level actually. That may alleviate some of the issues.

As for the issues, this is a more impressive job than 3D All Stars on a technical level. AI upscaling for textures, remade character models, new camera system (which would probably break the game if done quickly), new controls (which honestly are the best they can do translating something like this to a controller), doubled the frame rate, quadrupled the resolution, complete remade the UI and menus, reprogrammed how NPCs work and interact with Link...

It's kinda wild how Tantalus managed to effectively break down and rebuild Skyward Sword at a base design level while not screwing up everything around it. Although I imagine it initially did in testing.

Shame you can't enjoy the game. I bought it myself over Mario Golf, because multiplayer as a concept is basically dead to me, but I did so knowing I've got a 4 mile backlog and I hate traditional 3D Zelda titles. So I'm hardly a good judge of finances. 🤣

Maybe the next Switch exclusive will be more appropriate: No More Heroes 3. Wait, no, motion controls. Aight then.

WarioWare? Maybe? If that's your kinda thing?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

nessisonett

Pokemon Unite has 5 different monetisation strategies. 5. That’s cosmetics, gatcha pulls, battle pass, purchasing characters outright (insanely expensive currency wise) and pay 2 win gameplay boosts. Absolutely insane.

RogerRoger

@Haruki_NLI Oh, I didn't know that about the Switch, that's pretty awesome! Cheers!

All of the improvements to Skyward Sword you're listing there sound positive; I just really wish I could notice them. I'm sure they're delighting fans, but they don't help make the experience any less underwhelming to newcomers like myself. Which is a "me" problem, I know, although I'd still expect something a little more special for such a beloved series' 35th Anniversary.

I'm grateful for your attempt to suggest some alternate games for my partner's Switch but rest assured, he's got plenty to be getting on with. After I quit Skyward Sword, we actually changed cartridges and ended up playing Mario Golf: Super Rush for quite a while. He still hasn't finished Luigi's Mansion 3 or LEGO City Undercover and there's always Animal Crossing to be getting on with in the background, which he really enjoys. As for me, when I next visit I wanna start up Super Mario Galaxy and see what all the fuss is about, and I never finished Breath of the Wild for him, either. In other words, we're good, thanks!

Although there's always room for one more, so I'll ask him about WarioWare, as well.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger There's a reason many gamers don't name Skyward Sword as their favorite. I feel as though it is a bit of a marmite game. So maybe no true to the original kind of port might ever satisfy either you or me.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Well, I just hope its fans are happy with the port because, if it really is that divisive, it likely won't get another for a while. I wasn't surprised to see it top the sales charts because of brand recognition, but it'll be interesting to see how far, and how quickly, it falls each week.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic