Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 5,601 to 5,620 of 5,667

mookysam

@ralphdibny My Zelda joy-cons and amiibo arrived today, but not the game itself. The joy-cons are a lot, lot nicer than I was expecting, as I wasn't sure if they'd look a little tacky. I really like the colour contrast between the blue and purple, so have put them on my Switch unit. I'll probably start the game as soon as it arrives, and shall update my earlier Skyward Sword review accordingly.

@Ralizah SMT V looks epic! The visuals are okay, given the hardware's limitations, so no real disappointment there, although I hope the framerate doesn't struggle too much. I like how confident it seems with its cinematic storytelling, and it's very Nocturnie-ish. The battle animations are quite nice!

#BlackLivesMatter

ralphdibny

@mookysam ahh sweet! Yeah they are really nice. I'm just a sucker for anything Zelda related if it's a peripheral. Still got my gold Wii mote from the original release!!

Gutted about two things though.... We never got the gold nunchuk as a club Nintendo reward in the UK. Would have gone amazing with my gold Wii mote and my gold club Nintendo Wii wheel! Also we never got that Hylian Shield 2DS XL here in the UK. That would have been a day one buy for me!! I think these joy cons especially, are filling the fomo I had from that 2DS

I'll probably play the game with my partner this time, sometimes I want to relive these amazing moments in my life with someone else to share it with. I'll have a mosey over to the review thread and check out your SS review at some point (pre update) I want to see how the two compare for you. I haven't played it since I came out so I suspect I won't remember a lot of it!

ralphdibny

RogerRoger

I was able to give The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD a try yesterday, and I'm sorry to say that I wasn't impressed in the slightest. Super Mario 3D All-Stars might've been an insultingly lazy bunch of ports, but then Link's Awakening was a delightful, loving remake packed with heart and soul, so I obliviously turned up with slightly higher hopes. That's on me.

But many of its textures are inexplicable, and the button controls are needlessly complex and woefully counter-intuitive (which is a shame, as they're precisely why my partner wanted the game, as he struggled with the pure motion controls of the original). Why isn't there an option to customise them?

I feel sorry for my partner, as he was really looking forward to finally being able to experience the game for himself but, as it stands, he's just paid £50 for another way to not play it.

Apologies to super-fan @mookysam because I was really looking forward to seeing what the game had to offer, either vicariously through progress updates from my partner or for myself, by playing it for him during my visits. Neither will happen now. I wrestled with the controls for half an hour to get my partner's playthrough unstuck, and then back-tracked to replay some of the tutorials for context, but I was just overcome by so much frustration and rage because of the intransigent controls, to the point where I couldn't even begin to appreciate the story, characters or level design.

I really, really hope you have a better time with it, and that you're able to relish its nostalgia!

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Haruki_NLI

@RogerRoger Switch button controls are customisable on an OS Level actually. That may alleviate some of the issues.

As for the issues, this is a more impressive job than 3D All Stars on a technical level. AI upscaling for textures, remade character models, new camera system (which would probably break the game if done quickly), new controls (which honestly are the best they can do translating something like this to a controller), doubled the frame rate, quadrupled the resolution, complete remade the UI and menus, reprogrammed how NPCs work and interact with Link...

It's kinda wild how Tantalus managed to effectively break down and rebuild Skyward Sword at a base design level while not screwing up everything around it. Although I imagine it initially did in testing.

Shame you can't enjoy the game. I bought it myself over Mario Golf, because multiplayer as a concept is basically dead to me, but I did so knowing I've got a 4 mile backlog and I hate traditional 3D Zelda titles. So I'm hardly a good judge of finances. 🤣

Maybe the next Switch exclusive will be more appropriate: No More Heroes 3. Wait, no, motion controls. Aight then.

WarioWare? Maybe? If that's your kinda thing?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

nessisonett

Pokemon Unite has 5 different monetisation strategies. 5. That’s cosmetics, gatcha pulls, battle pass, purchasing characters outright (insanely expensive currency wise) and pay 2 win gameplay boosts. Absolutely insane.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

RogerRoger

@Haruki_NLI Oh, I didn't know that about the Switch, that's pretty awesome! Cheers!

All of the improvements to Skyward Sword you're listing there sound positive; I just really wish I could notice them. I'm sure they're delighting fans, but they don't help make the experience any less underwhelming to newcomers like myself. Which is a "me" problem, I know, although I'd still expect something a little more special for such a beloved series' 35th Anniversary.

I'm grateful for your attempt to suggest some alternate games for my partner's Switch but rest assured, he's got plenty to be getting on with. After I quit Skyward Sword, we actually changed cartridges and ended up playing Mario Golf: Super Rush for quite a while. He still hasn't finished Luigi's Mansion 3 or LEGO City Undercover and there's always Animal Crossing to be getting on with in the background, which he really enjoys. As for me, when I next visit I wanna start up Super Mario Galaxy and see what all the fuss is about, and I never finished Breath of the Wild for him, either. In other words, we're good, thanks!

Although there's always room for one more, so I'll ask him about WarioWare, as well.

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger There's a reason many gamers don't name Skyward Sword as their favorite. I feel as though it is a bit of a marmite game. So maybe no true to the original kind of port might ever satisfy either you or me.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Well, I just hope its fans are happy with the port because, if it really is that divisive, it likely won't get another for a while. I wasn't surprised to see it top the sales charts because of brand recognition, but it'll be interesting to see how far, and how quickly, it falls each week.

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@RogerRoger Thanks for the tag, although no apology was necessary. How far did you get into the game, and were you using motion controls or traditional controls? With the motion controls I've found that the pointer needs to be reset very frequently with a press of the Y button, much more than was necessary in the original release. This also needs doing when the sword is misaligned, which was not the case with the Wii version. I haven't tried the traditional controls yet. Zelda's not particularly your thing anyway, and I recall you really not liking Link's Awakening when you reviewed it, so I think it's okay to move on and play something else. Was your partner able to get any sort of refund?

@ralphdibny Haha same. Zelda's my favourite franchise, so I've built up quite a collection over the years. I wish Nintendo would see fit to release more of the soundtracks: especially Skyward Sword's because the music is ace. And ooh a gold nunchuck sounds rather nice! I can see the gold paint coming off after a while though. My gold Wii Remote has the wiimote condom on it to keep it nice and protected. The Hylian Shield new 2DS is certainly nicer than the pokéball monstrosity they released here!

I've played the original quite a few times, with my most recent playthrough last year, so my memories are quite fresh. My review of the Wii one is quite long, so I'll try to keep the Switch update a lot shorter. I'm currently in the third dungeon, which is one of my favourites. I like how clean the game looks compared to the original, and the increased framerate is really nice, drops notwithstanding.

#BlackLivesMatter

ralphdibny

@mookysam well my gold wiimote hasn't flaked, I could never get used to those rubber condom things! I did put one on if a friend was playing with it though. You know, I don't trust people 😅. Also they have greasy hands lol

I was just showing off my Zelda CDs to Rog in the MGS thread as we were discussing music. I'll post the pic here too (hopefully it don't make you too jealous if you are missing some! 😅)

Untitled

The Melodies of Time one came with an old Nintendo magazine!

I'm glad the remaster is holding up well for you! I'm hoping to get some time to actually play it next week so I will probably read your review(s) after that. Just so I'm not too influenced by them as I play.

Edited on by ralphdibny

ralphdibny

Haruki_NLI

@RogerRoger I feel like this rerelease was necessary tbh. On one hand it'll be a little clunkier than the original just because without a sensor bar, losing track of gyro is a guarantee.

On the other hand, it's the worst selling 3D Zelda despite the system it's on. Not even 4 million copies. I wouldn't be shocked if it sticks around knowing that.

Octane

@Haruki_NLI Skyward Sword didn't use the sensor bar. It's one of those games that uses the gyro exclusively (you had to have the Wiimote gyro expansion, or a Wiimote Plus). That's why you have the option to calibrate it during playing.

You van place the sensor bar out of sight during SS and it plays just fine (at least, for gyro Wii standards, which was a little clunkier than the Switch' gyro).

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane This is more for recalibrating the pointer. An issue Mario Galaxy has on Switch as well.

I do find it kinda obvious now how the idea of designing for a console specifically has led to issues modernising games. Of course, that level of foresight isnt exactly expected either.

Probably how Xbox manages it so well. The controller hasnt changed much in 20 years. On Nintendo systems, sacrifices will have to be made, and with stuff like Mario Maker, Skyward Sword, any Wii game really, Gamecube stuff...they were unfortunately made with the controllers, and sometimes system specs, in mind, so moving them over ends up just causing issues with clunkiness and the such.

Lose lose situation.

Octane

@Haruki_NLI No, the calibration was for the gyro, not the pointer. You can remove the sensor bar while playing Skyward Sword, and the game plays like it should. The sensor bar is only needed for games with pointer controls, but most of the late Wii games only used the gyroscope. And you need it for the Wii menu etc., but the game itself doesn't use it.

Mario Galaxy did use the pointer controls (obv), so the sensor bar was necessary. If you remove the sensor bar, you lose the pointer controls.

It would've been a good idea to use the sensor bar as an automatic calibration for the gyro, and to this day I still don't know why they didn't do this, but alas.

Octane

RogerRoger

@mookysam Well, I'm always sorry about criticising an underdog in front of its defenders, especially since I'm usually on the other side myself. I know how it feels!

Can't abide motion controls, I'm afraid, so I was playing with a Pro Controller. I did the swordplay tutorial and flew around on the giant bird for a bit, and then went to where my partner had left off, which was a lava level all about learning to throw bombs. Even after I got a handle on what to do, most of the bombs went off whilst Link was still hugging them. It was just too much of a counter-intuitive fiddle for me to enjoy. I wrestled my way into the underground caves, but that was my limit.

No, we didn't pursue a refund. He's said that, once I'm comfortable using my local GAME store again in the coming months, he'll give me the game (along with a handful of other cartridges he'll likely never put back in his console) for trading in against a future purchase. Which works for me!

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@ralphdibny Yeah, hand grease freaks me out. 😂 I can't even abide my own greasy mitts leaving marks on things, so the thought of having someone else touching my lovely Wii Remote is an utterly frightful thing to contemplate!

I have quite a few Zelda CDs. Years ago when I first joined eBay I was tempted to buy Japanese Wind Waker and Majora's Mask OSTs, but procrastinated as I always do, and in the end didn't get them. Now they're not at all easy to find!

Untitled
Japanese Breath of the Wild soundtrack that I randomly found cheap on Amazon a few years ago.

Untitled
The rest of my Zelda CDs. My favourites are the official concert ones, and there's quite a few fan releases too that I figured would be nice to own. I got the soundtrack for A Link Between Worlds on Club Nintendo.

@RogerRoger It's a shame it didn't click. Nintendo games hold their value quite well, so I hope that you can get a good trade in price when the shops are less infested with plague.

Earlier this evening I ended up playing with the Pro controller when my right joy-con's battery died. It was a bit of a mental adjustment, and I don't like not being able to freely control the camera. You have to hold down R at the same time, which is quite unintuitive. However, I soon got used to using the right stick for the sword, which surprised me. That said, it doesn't beat hammering the B button like in other Zelda games. As for bombs, again it's a little strange and fiddly, as you need to aim with the left stick while holding the right stick up or down (to throw or roll, respectively), and then press ZR to actually lob the thing. It just about works, but is fiddly. It's a shame the bombs couldn't be adjusted to control more like those in Breath of the Wild. Bombs are my least favourite item to use with motion controls, too, so I guess the workaround was never going to be particularly graceful. Anyhoo, while I'd say the game is better and overall more comfortable with the motion controls, as that's what it was originally designed around, traditional controls for many items is nicer.

Edited on by mookysam

#BlackLivesMatter

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Skyward HD is about in line with what Zelda remasters tend to be. With that said, some games benefit more from them than others. Twilight Princess HD wasn't really necessary for anyone who already owned the original, whereas the 3DS remasters of the N64 Zelda games dramatically improved the poor framerate, resolution, texture work, etc. of the originals, so they felt much more impressive. Basically, I think the more primitive entries benefit the most from being remastered.

Skyward is a weird case, since the need to work around the motion controls was always going to make button controls less than ideal. The improved camera and doubled framerate are pretty big improvements, though.

With that said, I bought the original on my Wii U for $10, so this'll be the first of the remasters that I miss out on.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Most Anticipated Games
Shin Megami Tensei V (Switch)
Breath of the Wild 2 (Switch)
Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp (Switch)
Metroid Dread (Switch)

PSN: Ralizah

ralphdibny

@mookysam 🙈 now I am jealous!! That's an awesome collection!

Club Nintendo was so good wasn't it? CDs, physical games, gold controllers. I miss it a lot!

ralphdibny

ralphdibny

@Ralizah I'd possibly argue (but not passionately as I know people will see this differently) that OoT 3D and MM 3D were full blown remakes because they significantly change all the graphics and stuff, same with the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy.

I'd say a remaster like TP HD, WW HD and now SS HD is a quick lick of paint from a resolution bump and higher FPS, maybe a QoL change here and there. So not as different from the original anyway.

Like in a film, you can remaster it but it's the same image but crisper, same sound but newly mastered tracks, possibly a bit of CGI and an extra scene or two. Where as a remake would be a new film that could be as different or as similar to the original as it wanted to be. I'd probably liken the 3DS Zeldas (and the N. sane Trilogy) to a shot for shot remake more or less.

ralphdibny

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic