Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,861 to 4,880 of 7,480

RR529

In 64 tonight I started up Hazy Maze Cave and got a few Stars (the one with the dinosaur in the water, the red coin one, and one you get after traversing a poison maze & hanging from a grate), but the next mission seemed to require the Metal Cap (which I don't have yet), so I decided to move on and tackle Shifting Sand Land...

...I wasted so many lives trying to get the Star from the bird. Granted, actually getting the Star from it was easy once you're on top of the pillar it's flying around, but the problem was that it kept spawning above a pillar that's in the middle of quicksand, and even if I managed to scale it and touch the Star (which flew to the other side of the pyramid after the bird let it go), a shy guy kept circling me overhead chucking fireballs, causing me to fall into the quicksand. Luckily the last time I tried it the bird had spawned near a different pillar, one which wasn't near quicksand (and was right next to where the Star lands when you touch the bird), so it was super easy.

I decided to call it quits for the night after that, however I noticed the rabbit was back so I got another Star from him (up to 51 now, I may yet beat Bowser).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Tonight in 64 I got the other 5 Stars in Shifting Sand Land. It was absolutely infuriating at first until I realized what items around the world make certain tasks easier. The Koopa shell makes getting to the top of the pillars (and up the pyramid) relatively easy as it can safely go over quicksand), and the with the cannon made getting the red coins pretty painless, for example. I didn't mind getting the Stars inside the pyramid, because it was pretty straightforward platforming stuff (just take it slow & steady). I think I'll ignore the 100 coin Star, but I never planned on 100% completing the game, so no biggie.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Just beat the final Bowser level in 64! Surprisingly the platforming gauntlet beforehand didn't trouble me (got through it on my first try, and pretty quickly at that), but I swear it took me like 10 tries to beat the big guy himself, as I just couldn't get the hang of throwing him into the bombs (I could maybe hit one for every 10 times I threw him), and he kept wearing me down. I started doing a bit better every time I fought him though, and finally prevailed.

I may go back to check out Snowman Land & Tiny Huge Island, but am so ready to move on to Sunshine, which will be completely new to me.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Octane

Mario 64 is absolutely awful. I don't know whether it is the Switch controls, or the emulation, but something is off. Playing it on the N64 feels a lot better, and I wasn't having as much trouble on my N64 last year.

Octane

belmont

For some reason Mario 64 is the only Mario game I have played (excluding the gameboy games). In the DS version I even got all the stars. I would like to play it again but tbh I have no interest in the other games in the collection. I guess they will sell them seperately at some point.

belmont

Octane

@belmont Sunshine and Galaxy are more of the same. If you like 64, you'll like those as well.

Octane

Kidfried

Switch players, I need you. I'm thinking what I'll be playing next on my Switch. Right now I'm undecided between:

• Katana Zero
  • Golf Story
  • Shantae (any game)
  • Dragon Quest XI S
  • Wargroove
  • Phoenix Wright

Just tell me which one to get.

Kidfried

belmont

@Kidfried From those I played Golf Story and Phoenix Wright. I may be biased but I love Phoenix Wright. It is similar to Danganranpa, I think you will like it. It has the whole first three games, it is hours of content.

I am not a big fun of Golf Story. The ... story is hilarious in a bad way and I am not a fan of the gameplay either.

belmont

TheFrenchiestFry

@Kidfried Even though the other versions of DQXI S aren't out yet, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Switch version is still easily the best way to play that game, especially since the upcoming versions are all based on it and will probably look marginally worse given that they'll be permanently blown up on a big screen TV/monitor while the Switch has the benefit of hiding its graphical inconsistencies (albeit minor) on the handheld's smaller screen

It's also an excellent ode to old school JRPGs with enough modernizations in the right place, and the extra content in this particular version like the orchestral music, the 2D mode, the fully voiced story cutscenes and the extra sidequests focusing on each individual party member are well worth the price of admission and definitely justified waiting on this version for me.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

Kidfried

@TheFrenchiestFry I play a lot of Switch on the big screen, so the PS4 version is still appealing to me for its graphics, but seeing as it is quite a long game, I expect I will progress much faster if I also play it on the road, in bed, etc.

Kidfried

Ralizah

@Kidfried

So, you should probably get Dragon Quest. I know you're knee-deep in Danganronpa right now, and while I LOVE the Ace Attorney games (seriously, they're indispensable), they're also a LOT of reading. Dragon Quest XI S is the best version of that game, and, even not looking as good as the PS4/PC release, it still looks pretty nice on a TV. More importantly, it has a higher battle speed setting, music that doesn't make my ears bleed, a gorgeous 2D mode, improvements to the forging system, and the game, in general, is just a super charming throwback to an older era of JRPG game design.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

@Ralizah FASTER BATTLE SPEED?! I didn't know that, but that's a game changer for me. I'll add the game to my basket now then.

Anyway, no Shantae fans here? I thought there were on the forums?

Kidfried

nessisonett

I’d put my vote for Dragon Quest XI S despite not getting round to finishing it yet. I love Ace Attorney but like @Ralizah said, it’s a ton of reading and you’d probably burn out after Danganronpa. From what I’ve played of Dragon Quest XI, it’s a proper good old fashioned JRPG that’ll last you for quite a while.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@Kidfried Shantae is a great series. I just wouldn't recommend the games over Dragon Quest XI S.

The first three Shantae games are a loosely connected trilogy, so the best way to play the series is in order. If you're only willing to play one, though, then play Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, which is one of the best games in the series. It's not really story-heavy, so you can still pretty much play them in any order and enjoy them well enough.

My favorite game in the series is the original GBC Shantae, but it's old, hard, and lacking in the QoL improvements found in later titles.

Whatever you end up doing, I'd recommend NOT starting with Shantae: Half-Genie Hero. It's utterly different than other games in the series, and I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone. Certainly not new fans.

As to DQXI S's battle speed: yeah, it makes a big difference. You'll need to switch over to the classic camera mode, though. The game, by default, allows you to run around in real time around the enemies, but it doesn't actually impact anything, so it just pads out the battles. Battles on the highest battle speed in classic mode are lightning fast.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah I do love a good battle speed setting. I literally could not imagine playing FFXII without that speed boost.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett FFXII is hilarious on higher battle speeds. My party is like a well-oiled meat grinder.

I did play it on PS2, but I couldn't possibly go back to it now, if only for that reason alone.

Edited on by Ralizah

Kidfried

Thanks everyone for all your advice. Dragon Quest XI sounds like the way for my next game.

Kidfried

belmont

Wow I think I may buy Dragon Quest myself after this discussion. Or preorder the PS4 version for 40 euros.

belmont

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic