Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,881 to 4,900 of 7,477

Ralizah

@belmont If you're only going to play it on the TV, then there's literally no reason not to get it on PS4/Xbox. With that said, I really like being able to play it away from the TV, so I'll be sticking with my Switch version.

But yeah, definitely play it. Great game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Octane

But the Switch version has several improvements, right?

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Sorry. I'm talking about the port of S coming to PS4/Xbox. It has all the improvements of the Switch version (sans the portability), and will likely run at a higher resolution on the TV.

Edited on by Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah I guess I missed that news. They're porting a port back to PS4?

Octane

nessisonett

@Ralizah Aren’t the graphics still going to be worse on that version than the original DQ XI on PS4 though? Like it’s an absolute mind-bender.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Octane

@nessisonett It's probably not as bad as its name, an absolute train wreck: Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane @nessisonett Yep. It's literally just the Switch version of the game, including the visual downgrades that accompanied porting that game to a system with a fraction of the PS4's power. I guess it was easier to just port this version of the game than to integrate all of the S improvements into the PS4/PC version, which is running on a different build of Unreal Engine 4, as I understand it.

Who knows if it would even be legally possible for them to update the original release with all of the S improvements, like the use of symphonic tracks over synthesized ones.

At the end of the day, people cried about Switch having a better version of the game, so... here it is. Now everyone gets to play the definitive version.

The really cool thing is that this version is coming to GamePass on Xbox One/S/X soon. Has a DQ game even released on an Xbox console before?

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Yep, coming to Game Pass on PC as well, that’s why I held off on getting the Switch version.

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah No this is actually the very first Dragon Quest game to come to Xbox at all

It's probably why they made a big deal about it during the Series X Games Showcase thing in June

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

crimsontadpoles

Kidfried wrote:

Anyway, no Shantae fans here? I thought there were on the forums?

I've played the first two Shantae games. The original Shantae was very good, though it's worth bearing in mind that it was a Game Boy Color game. Whether someone getting into it today will be as keen on it I do not know. Shantae: Risky's Revenge felt a bit underwhelming to me.

I want to play the others at some point, but haven't gotten round to them yet.

TheFrenchiestFry

It feels like the stars are aligning for Crash Bandicoot being announced today as the new Smash fighter. He's been heavily requested since the days of the Smash ballot, and he's been one of the most consistently rumored characters to appear even dating back to the first Fighters Pass. I also think that given his new game comes out tomorrow, and we've had two back to back first party characters, it just feels right.

If that happens, I think we can just straight up call Smash Ultimate a PS All Stars sequel given how many characters synonymous with Sony this game already has.

TheFrenchiestFry

RR529

Been playing Sunshine, and thank God the controls & camera are so much better than 64 (the camera can still get stuck on things, but nowhere near as bad as the previous game).

It does seem to be a more difficult game at the outset though, especially those FLUDD-less levels (which I believe are mandatory? I know you have to beat every world's Shadow Mario encounter, and I had to clear two FLUDD-less levels in Bianco Hills before it's Shadow Mario mission), the second one I died on at least 10 times before clearing it (those rotating cube platforms you have to ride are devious, lol).

Absolutely gorgeous game though, and the worlds seem to be absolutely dense with organically laid out platform elements (scaling up the windmills in Bianco Hills and looking down at everything down below is seriously impressive).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Octane

@RR529 The weird thing is that plenty of prefer thing 64 controls better and has a better camera than Sunshine! Madness I say.

For the FLUDD-less levels, yeah, they can be tough. Though I think they are more forgiving than you may think. Those cubes for example, Mario can walk on them, as long as the side he's walking on is not on a 90 degree angle. So you can walk on pretty steep slopes. But just like 64, there are instances where it doesn't work, sometimes a small incline is enough to cause Mario to slide. So it's not always very consistent.

Octane

Kidfried

I remember being blasted here or maybe over on NintendoLife when I said that the controls should have been updated for Mario 64. Feels like sweet justice or something every time someone mentions they wish those controls were better.

@RR529 Sunshine definitely isn't an easy game. Or, let me correct that: some levels in Mario Sunshine are surprisingly hard. And I agree that the game is beautiful, many Nintendo GameCube games actually hold up so well even today, but the downside is that by the end you're yearning for some more thematic variety. There's just a lot of beach.

Kidfried

nessisonett

Pretty happy with Steve being in Smash, Minecraft deserves representation due to sheer brand power. The stage is cool, glad we get some Smash OST remixes and seeing the ‘true Nintendo fans’ wetting their nappies because ‘next we’ll have Fortnite’ is utterly hilarious. People just pretend Minecraft is bad for some reason.

Octane

@Kidfried I feel the exact opposite. The self imposed restriction of having everything take place on a tropical island was a good choice. The levels are still very distinct, but share a common theme. It's something I can appreciate more than 64 or Galaxy, where every level can be whatever, because they may as well exist in alternate dimensions. It definitely requires more creativity, and it feels less video-gamey as a result. It's not the typical Mario tropes: ''Here's a bland plains world, a desert world, a water level, and a fire level. Have fun.''

Octane

TheFrenchiestFry

This is literally the happiest I've been for a character announcement since Joker

I'm red in the ***** face from how happy I am

TheFrenchiestFry

Kidfried

@nessisonett Minecraft is pretty cool, but I'm totally uninterested in Steve as a character. That's more down to personal preference than anything else.

Anyway, I'm not really longing for third party characters anyway. There are just so many Nintendo characters left that I'd still would like to see in Smash: a Goron or Zora, WarioWare characters, Waluigi, Cranky Kong, a Boo, etc.

And some Nintendo fans going crazy was to be expected. That'll continue to happen unless we get Crash, Goku or Geno. (Please Nintendo, if you're reading this, please put Geno in Super Smash Bros. Super Mario RPG is one of my favorite games of all time and Geno lends itself great as a fighter in this game.)

(Also I disagree that something should be there because of brand power. I'd rather have characters that deserve to be there because they are interesting as a character and provide great gameplay. One could argue Steve has both of those by the way. Just arguing against the fact that something should be in there because it's big. I wouldn't play Smash anymore if Ness wasn't in it for instance. The series never was big, nor was the character, but it's one of the most interesting characters gameplay wise and design wise)

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried It’s more that if they’re going to be adding a third party character, it stands to reason that they’d be choosing from the very biggest of properties. Nintendo characters, sure, niche characters are fun but when they’re adding third party characters, there’s just no way they’d be adding someone like a Disgaea character since the very nature of DLC is to make it appeal in order to sell on its individual merits. If you look at the ones in Smash 4, you had characters like Ryu, Bayonetta and Cloud, who’d absolutely sell on their brand recognition and fame. This is just that.

Kidfried

@Octane Yea, I guess you're right. Pianta Village, the beach resort, the docks, the theme park, all still very distinct levels, though fitting together as well. And there's something so annoying about playing games and then thinking to yourself "ah, here's the mandatory fire level".

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic