Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,661 to 4,680 of 7,479

crimsontadpoles

Being able to play Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine were the main highlights for me. However, it's odd that the All-Stars collection is only being sold until the end of March. It does seem to be exploiting the fear of missing out, so I don't like how they're handling it.

Also, I'm not keen on how Nintendo is shadow dropping their videos these days. I get more enthusiastic when they announce a Direct a couple days in advance, allowing me to watch the video live. Just reading a news headline detailing the new games isn't as exciting.

nessisonett

@Ralizah I guess it’s just an issue with how they’ve ported them over. From the looks of it, the ports are nothing that emulation hasn’t done before and while you can map spin attack to a button, emulating pointer controls is an iffy area due to the way it reads the inputs. Ideally you could just use the right stick but that would create its own set of problems.

Never mind lol, guess that’s that. I love motion controls but I can see why some people don’t.

Edited on by nessisonett

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Octane

@Ralizah That's a big bummer.

I think you're right @nessisonett, these looks like straight up ROM dumps that got a resolution increase.

Octane

Octane

If you look at the gameplay of Mario Sunshine, you can see that it still uses the GameCube button icons in the UI. So it's a straight up port it seems.

Octane

nessisonett

@Octane Interesting they call it All-Stars when that game was full blown remakes but hey, I’ll take it. I just want to play Mario Sunshine without having to dig out my Wii U. I assume my GameCube controller will work too which is good because that game is unplayable without analogue triggers.

Octane

@nessisonett I think I'll buy a few, if only because they're worth double their value once the stock has run dry

Octane

Ralizah

So the UK page for this collection is making it sound like the motion controls are optional. WTF

Is this just a case of NoA being terrible at communicating with consumers again?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

Octane

@nessisonett One of my go-to retailers has already sold out... Damn, limited means limited.

Octane

Ralizah

Just pre-ordered on best buy. Not my preference, but I feel like this is going to very quickly become difficult to find.

nessisonett

I can’t really be arsed finding a physical copy. It’s just ports, I’ll buy it digitally.

Ralizah

@LN78 Same. It's not difficult to see how a limited run 3D Mario collection is going to become a gold mine in the future. And, if Nintendo backs off on the limited run nonsense, I'll still be able to resell it for full price!

crimsontadpoles

Thinking about it, I'll likely skip the Super Mario 3D All-Stars collection. I've got the Wii disk of Super Mario Galaxy (and played through it last year), and Super Mario 64 is somewhere forgotten about on my Wii U virtual console. So effectively, Mario Sunshine will be the only new thing in the collection for me. I'd like to play it, but can't justify £50 on it.

nessisonett

@crimsontadpoles I have all of them playable on Wii U but the better resolution and ease of access is worth it imo. They’re pretty lazy ports but portability is pretty cool.

Octane

I have the N64 with Mario 64 hooked up to my TV as we speak. But I do have to move the legacy consoles around if I want to play those. I'd mainly buy it because it's a collector's item, and they're one of my favourite games.

Octane

nessisonett

I wonder if we’ll see something similar with the 3D Zelda games. Problem is, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess would be sold full price as Wii U ports and they would have to put a bit of work into the 3DS ports of the N64 games. Perhaps we really could just get the N64 NSO games and they’ll see that as enough.

Fight_Teza_Fight

I just preordered 3D All-Stars from AmazonUK. First game I bought on Switch since Pokemon Sword.
So excited.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic