Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,641 to 4,660 of 7,477

johncalmc

I haven't got ten games for Switch. So here's a top however many games I have for Switch.

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I really like this game. It's too easy. But I do enjoy me an RPG and I really like the story and the characters.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - This for me is really overrated but that doesn't mean it's bad. I think it's great. I just think if it was called Alan's Magical Adventure and it was about an elf called Alan and it was on Xbox it would be getting 8s in reviews. I found myself really annoyed with the rubbish combat/weapon system but I loved just exploring and I loved those little shrine things that were like a self-contained puzzle. Good stuff. Enjoyed it.

3. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - This game is a winner. It's not the best thing you'll ever play but it's a solid tactical thing and I appreciate that. What I did not really appreciate is how many Rabbid characters there are in the game because I would have preferred more Mario characters or even other Nintendo ones but whatever. It's fun.

4. New Super Mario Brothers U Deluxe - It's just a good Mario game and I am totally okay with that.

5. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Pretty good but gets a bit samey. I feel like it's too long even though it's not very long. It is fun though, and there's some pretty neat ideas in there if you can forgive the oh no a magic ghost cat has stolen the thing I need... again.

6. Super Mario Odyssey - This is probably the most overrated game of the generation for me. There are moments that are pure joy but then long stretches of it are quite boring. I liked that hat thing for a bit but then it became hey just throw your hat at literally everything and that's the game. I liked the moon. All told, probably my least favourite 3D Mario. Pretty good, nothing special.

7. Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu - Catching Pokemon by waving your arm about is absolutely rubbish. I really wish Nintendo would stop with the motion controls or at least give options about them but no gotta chase that 2006 crowd. Toilet.

Edited on by johncalmc

johncalmc

Twitter:

Ralizah

I'll list my current favorites that I've played on the system alphabetically. I expect this list to look a bit different after next year, but I love every game on my list.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - A brilliant rethinking of open world game design and the modern, exploratory overhaul the Zelda series desperately needed.

Catherine: Full Body - A messy, complicated look at gender, sex, relationships, and infidelity, this little Atlus classic smoothly combines life sim elements with deceptively simple puzzle game mechanics.

Cuphead - Possibly the best action-platformer released since Contra 4, this game combines a phenomenal reproduction of classic American "rubber hose style" animation with tight controls, creative bosses, and supremely addictive gameplay.

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition - The long-awaited Switch port of this game is a masterpiece of optimization, and one of the best RPGs on the system. DQXI had already improved on the hit-or-miss design and mechanics of DQ VIII to offer a more enjoyable adventure, but this port fixed the original version's notoriously dinky synthesized soundtrack, added QoL improvements that made the game even funner, and tooled around with and improved nearly every aspect of the game. That's not to mention the beautiful 2D mode and hefty amounts of added story content. Short of a straight-up remake, it's difficult to imagine how S-E could have improved more on this version of the game. The painstaking optimization for a far weaker system does lead to a version of the game that looks worse than what released on other platforms, but it's beautiful, and, dare I say, the most visually pleasing game on the platform. As someone who isn't a huge DQ fan, I was still hugely impressed with this title.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Another Nintendo property that enjoyed a dramatic reimagining, the traditionally very archaic and narrative-lite strategy series sees its densest and most ambitious entry to date. It's hard to overstate how different this game is from previous FE titles. I was delighted, though: the Persona-esque school setting and calendar system works really well here, too; the cast in this game is the best in the series; and I appreciate the various ways in which this game was made to feel like a fully-fleshed out JRPG. Oh, and there's so much narrative content here, and the game just demands to be replayed so that the player can appreciate how the kingdom-shattering events that unfold might have been different, and to understand the mindset and ideologies driving the various factions in the war that consumes the second half of the game. I do think the weapon triangle should have had more of a presence, though, as units in this game don't feel as distinct as they did in previous entries, and the divine pulse mechanic feels like it was tacked on at the last second. Still, I'm so happy Intelligent Systems and Koei-Tecmo took the risks they did and created such a memorable modern-gen Fire Emblem game.

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle - Imagine XCOM, but replace the tedious base-building and randomized maps with a lengthy campaign full of puzzles, exploration, and maps properly designed for each unique battle encounter. Now replace the slow crawl of inching random soldiers forward with iconic Nintendo characters (and rabbids cosplaying as iconic Nintendo characters) dashing and zipping around battlefields with balletic grace. And the ugly realism is replaced with a vibrant, gorgeously-realized cartoon world. What seemed like a historically bad idea when leaked turned out to be one of the best exclusives on the system.

Super Mario Odyssey - Exploratory 3D Mario returns! This time as more of a collectathon where Mario explores various large, dense zones, which hide tons of secret challenges and delightful setpieces. While I don't like the main story campaign as much as certain other previous 3D Mario games, it easily has the best post-game in the entire series, and the game proper continues long after the end credits initially roll. This game is also another looker, and runs at a smooth 60fps.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 - A proper home console sequel to the PS3 classic that makes some subtle, but incredibly effective changes to the formula of that game that really made me feel connected to this rag-tag squadron. Side stories are now unlocked when characters fight alongside one-another, Fire Emblem style, and the stories themselves explore and develop each of the smaller characters who find themselves under your character's command. It was just so incredibly rewarding 100%ing this. The story is really good, too. There's still the recognizable jank factor that made some people cold on the original game, but, as far as I'm concerned, this is one of Sega's best releases this generation.

Xenoblade 2 + Torna: The Golden Country - Maybe I'm cheating a bit, but given the fact that Torna was released as premium expansion DLC for XC2, I think it deserves to be counted. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is an uneven but emotional and incredibly epic sequel to the rather uneven Wii original that improves on that first game in a number of ways. The OST is amazing, the pacing is (usually) really good, and, unlock the original, heart-to-hearts are actually not a pain to unlock. Additionally, all of your rare blades have narrative content to unlock, and the combat system, while perhaps overly complicated, is fun and combines rhythm game elements, rather like a Paper Mario game. The DLC prequel is a good deal shorter, but, for my money, it's the best Xenoblade game ever made, and is a clear improvement on XC2 in a number of ways. Together, these two campaigns provide hundreds of hours of entertainment and vast, beautiful landscapes to get lost in.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana - The Switch port isn't ideal, but unfortunate framerate and resolution issues can't take away from how excellent the core game is. Adol Christin, the legendary explorer who the player controls throughout the Ys series, is stranded on a mysterious island after the ship he's on crashes. Gradually, he and a party of other capable warriors rescue survivors, start a settlement, gradually come to learn about each-other's lives, explore dungeons, fight enormous bosses, and eventually are forced to fight to save the entire human race. This game combines twitchy action combat with a suite of addicting progression systems, Zelda-like overworld exploration (classic Zelda), and interesting plot elements and character development to create an experience I couldn't put down until I had fully completed it.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

crimsontadpoles

It'll be a short list from me, as I only got my Switch towards the end of last year. I've focused more on playing a few huge exclusives that take many hours instead of lots of smaller games. I could pad this out further if I include games played elsewhere (such as Wii U games like Mario Kart 8 or multiplatform games including Witcher 3), but I'll leave them out for now.

• 4) Pokemon Shield. I had been a big Pokemon fan before the Switch, but did feel quite underwhelmed with Shield. The whole Dexit thing did take its toll on me, as collecting as many creatures as possible is my favourite part of the series, so being unable to transfer all my older monsters was a big blow for me. Plus there was a lot of smaller annoyances, and the general feeling that the game should have been fleshed out more.
  • 3) Super Mario Maker 2. It was a lot of fun to play other people's levels, though I didn't make many of my own. It's certainly more fiddly to design levels here than in the first game, but that's mainly because the Wii U's gamepad was perfect for SMM1.
  • 2) Super Smash Bros Ultimate. Only very narrowly missing out on the top spot, but this is an excellent game. It has a huge amount of characters, and is packed full of content. Plus it is so fun to play.
  • 1) Splatoon 2. It's rare for me to enjoy multiplayer games, but I've had a lot of fun with this. This game also has lots of content, with a variety of multiplayer modes. The single player campaign isn't that long, but the Octoling Expansion DLC does add a second campaign with lots of tricky challenges.

Unranked:
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate. I only started this a couple of days ago, so can't rank it yet. However, I have spent a lot of hours on the 3DS game MH Generations and transferred my save data across, so chances are I'm going to enjoy this.

nessisonett

Well I’m shocked. The rumours were true! Great Mario Direct and Nintendo finally got me 😂😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 A bit of a shame there’s no Galaxy 2 and they look more like straight ports than having any graphical enhancements but it’s got to be one of the best value port collections out there. Especially great given this is Sunshine’s first time outside the original release.

Ralizah

Why no Galaxy 2? I'm not even a huge fan of the game, but that's a big omission.

Also, it's a shame that this collection looks so lazy. Imagine if they'd upped the framerate on 64/Sunshine or did almost anything to make SM64 look presentable.

And the physical game being a limited run is VERY weird.

Ralizah

@nessisonett I'm still a bit shocked that there's going to be a Mario battle royale game.

nessisonett

@Ralizah It looked pretty cool, I’d give it a go. Just strange it’s limited time only but I think if it does well they’d keep it around.

Ralizah

@nessisonett What's really weird is Mario 3D All-Stars being a limited digital thing. Is Nintendo REALLY going to delist it next year? A digital game? A first-party collection that'd sell well for years?

nessisonett

@Ralizah I just saw that there. It’s incredibly strange. Just like Nintendo eh, there’s always a catch!

Ralizah

@nessisonett Nintendo has never announced something like this. Why would anyone do that? The whole point of digital is that you can fall back on it if when physical copies become unavailable. Imagine if other companies started doing this when sales for that collection explode.

Urgh...

nessisonett

@Ralizah The simple answer of why anybody would do this... manufactured demand. Now of course this will just result in scalpers being the true profiteers for physical copies but short term and digitally, Nintendo will make a fortune from people clamouring to get a copy while they can. It’s shady but it’ll work.

Octane

Super Mario 3D All Stars: Cool, but eh. Looks like the games are only getting a resolution boost. Mario 64 won't support wide screen either. Full price was expected, but I expected more. No Galaxy 2 is also a weird omission. And the limited physical and digital copies is just plain ol' stupid. People complain about EA and Activision being anti-consumer, but the stuff Nintendo gets away is absolute madness.

Bowser's Fury looks good, but again, it's locked behind a full priced port of a game I already have. Why isn't this available on the eShop as a standalone thing for €10-20? Right, because it's Nintendo.

Octane

Ralizah

@nessisonett Mario games sell well for YEARS. I get why they make other items limited, but this is only going to lose them money in the long run.

Maybe after the collection is delisted, they're relist the games individually for $29.99 a pop or something. That'd make a lot more sense.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah The main rumours I’ve seen is that they’ll list them separately or they’re planning to add N64 games to the online service. No point selling Mario 64 if they’re adding it for free.

Ralizah

lol, Galaxy isn't really playable on a Switch Lite. I guess the Lite really does have substandard gyro.

Untitled

nessisonett

@Ralizah I didn’t even think about that. Oh wow, that’s a huge loss.

Ralizah

@nessisonett At least it'll probably be playable in handheld mode on the big Switch, since it should be easy enough to use gyro to collect starbits. Unless Ninty is stupid and doesn't map the spin attack to a button.

Pls no.

Also means it's not playable on third party controllers without gyro support, which is almost all of them.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic