Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 4,421 to 4,440 of 7,477

mookysam

Anyone remember when it was Nintendo VIP 24:7? Codes and points didn’t expire and automatically gave you a load of free wallpapers, icons and sometimes even music for each game. That was in addition to the points that could be redeemed against some decent physical items. I got my special Mario GameCube controller and Zelda: Collector’s Edition that way. 😁

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

nessisonett

@Octane I spent a whole day going through my codes years ago as soon as I realised I could and managed to grab quite a few Wii Shop vouchers for free. Picked up Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth and a few N64 games like Ocarina of Time so it was totally worth it.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Octane

@KratosMD The battles sounds like tedious endures, and they don't seem to be rewarding. That was my biggest gripe with Color Splash. It just wasn't fun to play. Too simple, too long, and as a result too tedious.

Octane

nessisonett

If there was XP, there’d be a reason for doing battles. I cannot fathom why you would cut XP and make the whole battle system superfluous.

Octane

@nessisonett @KratosMD YeAH bUt it'S nOT An RpG, iF yUo wANt a mArIO rPG plAY MariO & lUIgI!!

Even a skill tree would've been fine at point. I don't care if it's overdone. It provides some kind of progession. It would be a lot more fun if the XP or coins you earn from battle could be spent on more health, additional moves, or more powerful versions of those moves.

Octane

nessisonett

@Octane Argh, you got me 😂😂

Ryall

Paper Mario seems to have the same problem as Assassins Creed. They rebooted them into a different type of game and fans of the original style aren’t happy.

Ryall

nessisonett

@Ryall I guess, although Paper Mario went from an RPG into the video game equivalent of colour-by-numbers. Assassin’s Creed was considered stale and needed the change, Paper Mario’s change was entirely unwarranted.

Ralizah

I don't really care if they're RPGs any more or not, but yeah, keeping turn-based battles when XP is gone is just a bizarre design choice. Turn-based battles suck in most games anyway, and are only really justifiable in the context of a game where you're controlling an entire party.

Well, hopefully the art design and writing make up for the mechanical issues it has. If the game's as funny as people are saying it is, that'll go a long way toward making me like it. I've never laughed so much while playing a game as I did while playing TTYD. But that's also contingent on it having a personality. A lot of the funny bits in TTYD derived from its uncharacteristically morbid sense of humor.

We'll see.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Luigi’s stories in TTYD are absolutely amazing. Especially when you come across that deep-fried Blooper who rues the day he met a certain moustachioed man in green.

RR529

Cause of my work schedule I can only really use my Switch (& PS4) on the weekends, so I nabbed Shantae & the Seven Sirens a few weeks ago, as I figured even with my reduced game time it shouldn't take me too long to get through it.

Having a good time so far (I love how self aware it is, such as the "action figure" segment). Most recently acquired the earthquake power.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

@nessisonett Yeah, Luigi's bits in TTYD feel like a fun send-up of Mario plot contrivances and naming conventions in general. The best part was that whoever his companion was at the time would basically always contradict Luigi's given account. I'd love to see this aspect of the game fleshed out in an eventual remaster.

@RR529 Nice. First Shantae game?

Edited on by Ralizah

RR529

@Ralizah, I've played through Pirate's Curse on 3DS & One-Half Genie Hero on Switch (actually I think my first Switch game) before.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

@RR529 Gotcha.

I'm quite excited to pick up Shantae GBC on the Switch later in the year (and the repro GBC cart for a more old-school experience). It's really cool that the entire series will be available on Switch soon.

belmont

@Ralizah Is Shantae GBC reprinted officially or you refer to generic repros from ebay?

belmont

Ralizah

@belmont Official, via Limited Run Games.

Something called Xtreme Sports is receiving the same treatment.

Edited on by Ralizah

belmont

@Ralizah Thanks for the link. I have 300+ games on various game boy and game gear iterations but for some reason not those two. I hope the cost + eu shipping will be resonable.

belmont

Rudy_Manchego

@KratosMD it depends on the game but here in the UK I find that first party Nintendo titles don’t drop much second hand - possibly a few pounds but often you can get a competitive launch price online that resembles the second hand price. It is a shame really

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Octane

@Arugula It's honestly the reason I've skipped a lot of Nintendo titles this gen. None of them drop in price, and there are a lot of games I'd like to try, but I'm not willing to spend €60 on. I'd rather buy three €20 PS4 games for example. I got into Tomb Raider because they were quite cheap, otherwise I wouldn't even have bothered probably!

About Paper Mario. I played the one on the Wii U, which looks very similar to this one. The main problem I had is that the battles aren't satisfying. They're quite easy, dull, and they last way too long. I don't mind turn-based stuff. But I'd like some kind of challenge. And Paper Mario doesn't offer that unfortunately. Since they don't want it to be an RPG or something, battles aren't rewarding either. So you want to avoid them pretty much all the time. I don't know what's going on, but it feels like they want all their games to be playable by three-year-olds, and stupid three-year-olds as well. Because it feels so dumbed down half the time. Origami King is a game I'd pay €30 for. But I know it won't ever drop that low, so I'll probably never play it.

I still remember that Color Splash introduced an overworld enemy at some point in the game that was able to undo all your progress in a level. And since that game revolved around painting white objects in the landscape, it could be very tedious looking for that one white rock on a sand coloured beach that was just a tad lighter than all the other rocks. I spent hours completing those levels, and then the game said F you and decided to randomly erase my progress by introducing an enemy that could ''suck'' all the colour out of a level. At that point I stopped playing, it just wasn't very fun in the end.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic