Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 7,241 to 7,260 of 7,479

nessisonett

Alright Direct. Some good announcements like a new 2D Mario that is a bit more original, but mostly remakes and remasters. Shame there was no Metroid Prime 2 Remastered amongst those! A new Peach game is a good idea but we didn’t see much at all.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LtSarge

Pretty weak Direct. Was hoping for more VC announcements like Mario Party 3. Only saw a brief glimpse of the next Mario Kart DLC. Super Mario RPG remake is freaking cool as heck though! Definitely buying that. 2D Mario Odyssey looks great as well. Other than that, it was mostly uninteresting third-party stuff, more farming games and remasters.

Really hope the new 2D Mario has online multiplayer.

LtSarge

Ralizah

It was a good Direct. The new DQM game looks neat. I'm excited for a new Princess Peach game. Mario RPG Remake looks FANTASTIC. Lots of solid ports and whatnot as well.

I don't know how I feel about the new 2D Mario yet. The footage didn't really set my soul on fire, but I've enjoyed nearly every one I've played (except Super Mario World).

Not generally inclined to want to play Star Ocean games, but the new remake looks surprisingly good. Might pick that up.

As usual, almost everything had a substantial amount of gameplay footage, as opposed to "in-engine" cinematics. That said, it was definitely less exciting overall than the Microsoft presentation.

In terms of Not-E3 this year, I'd say: Microsoft > Nintendo > Sony

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah That’s probably the order I’d put them in too. But then Nintendo have always been more ‘realistic’ with their announcements minus Metroid Prime 4 and Bayo 3 so we’ll see how many of Microsoft’s games will stick the landing or y’know actually release.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Kidfried

The Direct was pretty ok. Probably one of the nicer ones in recent memory.

Peach is a cool game, potentially. But all of us can imagine a million ways in which Nintendo could fudge this up, so let's not hold our breath.
The biggest news for me was Super Mario RPG. It's cool, there's a remake. Like, really cool that Nintendo haven't forgotten about one of their best ever games (and Geno). If I take off my rose tinted glasses, though, I have to admit that what we saw so far was a very safe update. A bit too safe to really turn any heads at all. Anyway, at least a new generation can enjoy this game now. (But you could also buy the SNES mini, which looks about just as good).
Then there's a lot of ports and in my opinion somewhat low stakes DLC. All of it probably good, but nothing that screams 'essential'.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder I wanna see more of. It could be really good, but after all the crazy stuff I've seen in Super Mario Makers, it's going to take a lot from Nintendo to really wow me. I saw some bold stuff, which I applaud, but if you ask me I think it's now, more than ever, time for a sequel to Mario Bros. 2.

Pikmin 4 looked great, by the way. I don't know what the concensus all over the internet is, but it looks like a step in the right direction from the somewhat lesser Pikmin 3.

And in my opinion the winner of the show was Penny's Big Breakaway. That game looks amazing, that looks like something I would like to play right now. Right. Now.

Kidfried

Ralizah

@nessisonett It is one thing I deeply appreciate about Nintendo's shows. They almost always show a lot of gameplay, and, you're right, the games shown off are only rarely far-flung future releases. Usually they launch within a year or less of the presentation. Microsoft's stuff is mostly a crapshoot.

But man, those Xbox/GP announcements. Even if they were mostly spoiled beforehand, they revealed three big Atlus titles in one show! And Starfield looks remarkable.

I think that's what this show was missing for me, personally. It was full of a lot of good announcements. But no ZOMG TAKE MY WALLET ones, y'know?

It was satisfying enough, but this only serves further to convince me that new hardware is coming next year.

Edited on by Ralizah

Kidfried

@Ralizah You can already see the ads, Nintendo Switch 2, with Prime 4, new 3D Mario and a new Mario Kart all releasing in its first years. They're definitely setting up something like that.

Kidfried

RR529

Yeah, pretty good Direct, but you can definitely tell we're probably in the winding down stage of the Switch lifespan.

Like, it's still full of releases so they're thankfully not leaving it out to dry, but it's almost all remasters/remakes (HD Pikmin releases, Mario RPG, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon) or smaller scale titles (SMBW, Detective Pikachu Returns, WarioWare Move It!). Jury's still out on the Peach game, but I doubt we'll see a new Odyssey, BotW/TotK, Xenoblade scale game on the system again with the exception of Prime 4 (which may end up cross platform).

That's not necessarily a knock though, as I'm super excited for both Wonder & Mario RPG (will probably get the Dark Moon remaster & Peach game as well).

Japanese devs still seem to be pouring out decent support as well with stuff like Metal Gear Collection, Star Ocean remaster, & P5T. Nothing groundbreaking, but objectively good support for Nintendo only or portable preferred gamers.

Finally getting the long rumored Batman games as well. Probably won't have much of an issue with the first two, but it'll be interesting to see how Knight runs. Nothing else of note from western devs though. Granted, a ton of AAA western releases was never Switch's strong suit, but other than the Batman games (& Just Dance I suppose), all western support seems to be indie tier.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

@Kidfried I'm fully expecting open-world 3D Mario as a Switch 2 release near launch. Could definitely see Prime 4 as a cross-gen w/ enhancements game that does better on the new hardware as well.

Mario Kart 9... I dunno. IMO it has the same problem a probable future Smash game has, which is how it manages to one-up the gigantic and wildly successful predecessor. I do agree the timing of the MK8D DLC lines up with a 2024 reveal, though. We'll see.

Haruki_NLI

@RR529 I'm honestly more surprised that the Arkham Trilogy is Switch exclusive.

That is.....a very very odd move.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

RR529

Apparently that GoodFeel project that kinda looked like a spiritual successor to Mystical Ninja Goemon got a proper reveal in the Japanese Direct.

Wonder if it's exclusive & why it wasn't in our Direct?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

kyleforrester87

@Haruki_NLI you can get them all cheap cheap cheap on PS4 and 5, I can’t see a lot of demand for a full price release on other systems. And it’d help draw Switch owners attention to how much they are being charged for old games, I reckon.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Haruki_NLI

@kyleforrester87 True, but this is also WB. I'd expect them to either repackage a full trilogy release for other systems too, or at least remaster Arkham Knight.

But nope, just port them all to Switch.

kyleforrester87

@Haruki_NLI yeah I mean, I genuinely think by doing that they think they could be drawing Switch owners attention toward how much they are being charged for old games. Inevitably it would be a talking point, some of them are on Plus and Gamepass too. If people on other systems are unlikely to buy the new collection anyway due to them already being available so cheap, it’s just potentially sabotaging Switch sales.

I dunno, cant see why else, they would love to make more sales of this game on other systems if they could right?

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

KidRyan

I'm looking forward to playing these 13 games! 🙂

October 2023
Silent Hope - October 3rd
Detective Pikachu Returns (sequel) - October 6th
Super Mario Bros. Wonder - October 20
Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 - October 24

November 2023
Star Ocean: Second Story R - November 2nd
Super Mario RPG - November 17

December 2023
Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince - December 1st

TBA 2023
MythForce

TBA 2024
Penny's Big Breakaway - Early 2024
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Remaster)
Untitled Princess Peach game

Edited on by KidRyan

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

Ralizah

This remake really is breathtaking.

@Haruki_NLI The Arkham games are already available on Playstation and Xbox. It'll be interesting to see how downgraded Knight is.

Edited on by Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah I know they are.

But this is WB. I'm surprised they're putting in this effort with a major IP and not at the same time remastering Arkham Knight at the very least for PS5 and so on.

Just because the games already exist doesn't mean a quick buck can't be made.

But it's not just exclusive in that it's not announced for other systems, it's outright Nintendo said it's exclusive which would imply some money changed hands.

Which is even weirder.

Kidfried

@Haruki_NLI It's hardly a "definitive edition". It's a lofi part of a 10 year old game. PlayStation and Xbox got the actual definitive edition already a few years ago. There is no more money to be made from recycling old games anymore.

So nah, I'm not really surprised.

Nintendo outright saying it's an exclusive is probably the saddest part about it. It's like bragging about having washed your underwear for the first time. Nintendo, I'm happy you finally did it, but it's kind of embarrassing it took you this long.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic