Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 5,021 to 5,040 of 5,525

Kidfried

@LtSarge I should really get Tunic for my PS5. I am waiting for its next discount. The way you describe it, that game seems totally up my alley. It sounds like Death's Door with exploration and puzzles, which is all I need.

Kidfried

crimsontadpoles

Midnight Witch on PC. It's a free visual novel recently released by a small team. It's about a group of students who discover that their new teacher is actually a witch. Her magical powers are used to ensure that everyone is trapped inside the lecture hall, with deadly consequences for those who try to escape.

I tried this out on a whim, and was pleasantly surprised by this. The characters start off as slightly unlikeable, but things quickly get much more interesting once the story heats up.

It does have content warnings for psychological horror and violence, plus it does touch upon some heavy topics, so it might not be for everyone. However, I personally had a blast with this game.

nessisonett

@Kidfried The instruction manual being woven into Tunic is one of my favourite game mechanics of recent years. As long as people don’t look up anything to do with the game before they play it, it’s really cool.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LtSarge

@CaptD Yeah I also remember Contrast being on PS+ in the early days of PS4 but I never got it. It would've been an easy Platinum if the trophies were the same as the achievements.

@Kidfried Death's Door also reminds me a lot of Tunic! But yeah, it's definitely worth getting next time it's on sale. Who knows, maybe it'll get added to PS+ Extra down the line if it leaves Game Pass. Either way, I think you'd enjoy the game a lot. Keep in mind that it's quite challenging but there is an accessibility option that prevents you from dying I think, which in theory could be useful if you're struggling with the bosses. I know a friend who was put off by the steep difficulty because they just wanted a chill game (which is understandable given the looks of Tunic) but don't let that deter you from experiencing this amazing game.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

nessisonett

Prodeus. Decent physics, alright gun selection and really overly long. Still, the graphics are cool and the replayability surrounding collectibles is great. One of the better neo boomer shooters.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Kidfried

Just beaten the Final Fantasy VII Remake DLC. While the new combat mechanics were at times a bit yanky, I love that they did something creative for the DLC instead of doing something more safe. The DLC in my opinion has a great story (haven't read any reviews for it at all) and a lot of great gameplay moments. It's on par with the main game in terms of presentation and overall quality, by which I mean it's extremely good.
I can easily see this being anyone's favorite game of all time, even mine. It's up there with the best.

Some other things I really appreciated was how great the characters in this DLC were, and how all of them felt like they could have been the main cast for a full game as well. And also how they went a bit more overboard with the music this time. Just brilliant.

Of course it's sad to say goodbye to a game I like so much, and I have already been doubting whether I should just do another playthrough, but with more new Final Fantasy on the horizon, perhaps I'm better off just waiting for those.

Kidfried

LtSarge

Just finished The Ascent on Series X. Fantastic game! I basically played through the majority of it during the weekend and did the final mission today. Took me 13 hours to beat the game. It was so much fun, the gameplay loop is really good and I've missed playing a twin-stick shooter. This game really takes me back to the Xbox Live Arcade days.

LtSarge

oliverp

Red Dead Redemption 2. - Story mode
Right so I have for the last month been playing and now finally beaten Red Dead Redemption 2.
I feel very glad and well a little bit proud. It has been a very interesting experience to say the least. Now this is a game I have wanted to play for quite some time but have hesitated for a while. I think mainly because of the rumored length of the game. I was basically afraid that it would take me many months to complete the game so I was quite surprised and glad that it only took me like a month or so to complete the story plus and some side activities (I like can still not really believe it hehe). I think it must have something to do with once I started the game it feelt natural and fun to just continue playing.

Needless to say I had a very good time with the game. It have been very interesting experience because I feel like playing the game has been a kind of journey with some ups and downs during the duration of my time with the game.

While I dont think it will happen this year I must state that it would be cool to play and complete the first game in the series at some point as well.

If anyone have any question about the game Iam happy to do by best and answer them. I might also post a more proper review in the review thread if someone would be interested to read it although Iam not sure it is needed.

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

Kidfried

@oliverp Congratulations on the achievement. It took me quite a while to finish that game, it's epic, and totally worthwhile. Who was your favorite character?

In other news, I played and beat Lake. Didnt really enjoy my time with it, but not all games can be amazing!

Kidfried

Kyushutrail

I just finished Immortals: Fenyx Rising. I got most of the trophies and thought about going for the platinum but I find the puzzles in the vaults a little too frustrating. I still enjoyed the game quite a bit. I’ll probably skip the DLC. My favorite part of the game was just exploring, looking for ambrosia etc.
Moving on to Fallout 4 next. I’ve never played a Fallout game before and know absolutely nothing about it lol

Kyushutrail

Kidfried

@Kyushutrail In that case Fallout 4 is a good place to start actually!
It is lighter on RPG elements than previous games, which is more welcoming to new players, and also the story was written with new players in mind as well.

The only advice I can give you for Fallout games in general is trying to focus on a few things to become good at at the start. Don't go splitting your perks across all different skills at once, pick a few to become good at. You'll always miss out at some dialogue options or secret safes you can't crack, whatever choices you make, that's all part of the experience.

Oh, I think I have one more tip. You can treat the game as a shooter, but you can also play it as a semi turn based games like I did, most of my shots were done from VATS. You can kinda choose if you want to make it more of a dexterity game or a tactical game.

And now I'll shut up, enjoy the ride.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@oliverp Good job completing RDR2. It’s quite a long one, especially if you wander around doing side content. In my opinion it has one of the best mainline stories on the last generation, with some superb voice acting. It’s a game that has grown better in my memory as time passes. I think I enjoyed the first game even more though. It’s not as well-crafted as RDR2 but it’s story was even more epic to me, believe it or not. It’s unfortunate that on PlayStation it’s difficult to get access to it without having a PS3.

What’s your next game to play? After finishing a monumental game like RDR2, it’s always hard to follow it up without feeling empty.

@Kyushutrail Glad to see you enjoyed Immortals. I fell off of it after a dozen or so hours, but I enjoyed it while I played. Have you played any of the Assassin’s Creed games? Obviously they have a different tone and art style but the common Ubisoft DNA might feel familiar if you’re wanting more.

I also have somehow never played a Fallout game before. I’ve been curious but haven’t taken the plunge on any yet. In my mind they seem like post-apocalyptic Skyrim games, but that’s probably oversimplifying. It’s a beloved series, so hopefully it lands for you!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kyushutrail

@Kidfried Thanks for the advice! I’m gonna start it in a few hours and really looking forward to it now

Kyushutrail

Kyushutrail

@Th3solution Thank you! I haven’t played any AC games yet, but I have Black Flag, Origins, and Odyssey in my backlog (thanks ps plus). They definitely look like something I’d enjoy

Kyushutrail

Th3solution

@Kyushutrail If I’m interpreting your history correctly you’ve just recently come back into gaming, so there’s definitely a treasure trove of open world RPGs to catch up on. AC Origins is really good. I didn’t quite get along with Black Flag, but popular opinion is that it’s actually one of the best of the series, so your preference may vary. I still need to play Odyssey too.

Some highlights of the open world genre with large explorable maps for me are: Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, and Kena: Bridge of Spirits, among others but I’m just thinking about what’s available on PS+ that you could very easily jump into. I think they’ve already pulled Spider-Man and personally I’d play it prior to Miles Morales, but I guess it could be done backwards. Of course if you deviate from PS+ then there’s even many more options (not the least of which is the aforementioned RDR2). Did you play a lot of video games in the retro era? I think you mentioned it’s been 20 yrs?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kyushutrail

@Th3solution Thank you so much. Yeah just got back into it earlier this year, but I’ve already played a lot these last few months haha
I finished Zero Dawn and Ghost of Tsushima and absolutely loved them. GoT is probably my favorite game. I want to try Death Stranding but it’s a little intimidating to me for some reason. I did try Spider-Man but I couldn’t get into it. I think the gameplay might have been a little too fast and also I just have no interest in superhero movies.
I actually bought RDR2 so it’s in my backlog. I couldn’t resist it because it was on sale. (I also bought The Witcher 3 on sale). Besides open world games I really enjoyed Undertale, Until Dawn, and What Remains of Edith Finch.
There are so many options so I appreciate your recommendations! Until now I’ve just been putting a list of games in a randomizer and playing the game that comes out on the top lol (this is how I chose Fallout 4 to play)

Kyushutrail

Th3solution

@Kyushutrail Haha! I love the randomized idea. I usually have a rough roadmap where I strategically attack the backlog, but every now and then I just go with the gut and choose something on a whim.

If you’re in the mood for something a little like Until Dawn, you might like the Quantic Dream games, the best of which is Detroit Become Human. Heavy Rain is also good from them. So keep those in mind for when you might have an inkling for a choice-and-consequence story driven game, if you’ve not played them yet. I really want to try Supermassive’s other games since I liked Until Dawn, but most people say the Dark Pictures Anthology games and The Quarry were a bit of a step down. And What Remains of Edith Finch is fantastic imo and there’s just not really much else quite like it.

I’ll be very curious to see how you get along with Fallout 4. Over another thread there was some discussion about The Outer Worlds which is of that same Bethesda style and it was one that I ended up never really completing. But I loved Skyrim, so who knows.

Kyushutrail

@Th3solution Thanks again!
I started Fallout 4 and it’s a lot more involved than I thought it would be lol
I have a feeling I’m going to be really bad at this game. I think I’m going to have to read a guide because I have no idea what I’m doing.
I’ll try and keep at it for a few weeks and see if I can get the hang of it

Kyushutrail

Kidfried

@Kyushutrail Try to take it slower, and build from the things you do understand. I can see how it can be overwhelming, but like I said earlier, it's fine to ignore some of the game's elements at first.

Anything we can help you with?

Kidfried

Bundersvessel

@Kyushutrail Yep, as @kidfried says, take it slow. There really isn’t a wrong way to play and consulting guides about builds is recommended. Save often and walk away from anything that is too much early on as it’ll just demoralise you. I think the minutemen are one of the first quest lines you come across and isn’t a bad way to acclimatise, Preston Garvey will give you endless (ad nauseum) quests to build the network and are a great way to level up and become familiar with the various mechanics. A word of warning, there is a deathclaw close to the museum where this quest begins.

Let us know if you need more advice 👍

https://www.ign.com/wikis/fallout-4/Absolute_Beginner_Starter...

Edited on by Bundersvessel

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic