Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 2,941 to 2,960 of 3,057

MS7000

So I have finished Persona 5 Strikers. Finished the compendium bar one persona and have not got all the skill upgrades, but I have otherwise done everything else including optional/secret bosses (or at least according to the trophy list). Took me just under 67 hours. Really good game, and wouldn't mind a mainline Persona adopting that style of gameplay. The game still had the style of Persona 5, music is fantastic. I loved the change in locals and the Jail layouts. Loved the new characters for the most part. The story was fine; there were a couple of things I expected as it progressed which ended up happening. Ichinose in particular, I suspected from the get go of having ulterior motives, just a pity that I found her reasoning for helping EMMA slightly underwhelming. Only real thing that kind of disappointed me was the lack of interaction with characters from Persona 5 outside of the main cast; for example, you find out at the beginning of the game that Iwai and Dr Takemi are both out of town. Since you are on a road trip during the summer holidays, could we not have encountered the confidants during the travels or something? I guess they wanted to make the game open to those who had never played Persona 5 before, but eh.

On a slightly related note, If they did do this playstyle again for a main title (not that I think this will ever happen), I would still like for them to do the traditional thing where you are based somewhere for a year, but not necessarily as a student at high school, but perhaps an adult team with work instead sort of thing.

Edited on by MS7000

Signature, huh? Where do I sign?

Thrillho

As mentioned in the Game Club thread, I recently beat Concrete Genie and got the platinum too.

I really liked that they went for something different with the game and I enjoyed the painting mechanics. It took me a little while to get used to but once you've got the hang of it it feels really cool.

The game doesn't outstay it's welcome with the short play time and the story isn't too in depth but it really is a fun little game. The only thing I'd say is that the combat mechanic that comes in right at the end of the game was a bit of a faff and was mostly just button bashing to win.

Thrillho

LieutenantFatman

I finished Hyper Light Drifter, I thought it was brilliant, really fun exploring and discovering little secrets, combat is very satisfying, difficulty is well balanced and the graphical style was a joy. Some of the trophies are a bit daft, so I opted for no plat but I did hunt down some of the more fun ones.

@Thrillho Sounds fun, looking forward to giving it a go. I don't suppose you tried it out in psvr?

@MS7000 Glad to hear it doesn't disappoint, I'm hoping to play it eventually.

Edited on by LieutenantFatman

LieutenantFatman

Ralizah

So, I've completed ALMOST everything in Super Mario 3D World. Got all the golden flagpoles, collected all the star coins, collected all of the normal stamps, and have completed all of the secret levels, including Champion's Road, which claimed hours of my life and over a hundred lives by the time I was finished with it.

If I were a normal person, I'd be done. But I'm stuck on this idea of totally completing all of the 3D Mario games, and there are four more stamps locked behind completing ALL of the levels with EVERY character, so I'll have to play through the game at least four more times. Including the brutal Champion's Road. FOUR. MORE. TIMES.

lol

With that said, I think I'm done playing for hours at a time, and will just play a couple of levels here or there as I start to prepare my review of it.

Edited on by Ralizah

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)
Monster Hunter Rise (Switch)
Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah This is why I’m forcing my mum to play along with me and my brother. Sneaky completion of each level as Toad!

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

Thrillho

@LieutenantFatman No PSVR for me I'm afraid. That also means that the game does the annoying thing as showing as 97% complete despite having the platinum..

Thrillho

Ralizah

@Thrillho Ugh. I'm planning on playing Concrete Genie soon. 100% trophy completion is locked behind access to PSVR? That sucks. Even with the platinum, I still feel like the game is mocking me when it locks 100% completion behind some additional purchase.

@nessisonett Three people at once? That must be chaotic. Especially if there's competition for the crown. The crown turns 3D World from a cute platformer into a blood sport.

Edited on by Ralizah

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)
Monster Hunter Rise (Switch)
Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah The shared life pool stops it from becoming too mean-spirited! Otherwise we’d be chucking each other off cliffs 😂

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Thrillho

@Ralizah Yeah, it’s got a separate list for VR trophies. There can’t be many on there to only be a couple of percent.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Thrillho Thanks for the heads-up about the Concrete Genie trophies. That means I'll ignore them and just settle for whatever percentage I end up with as the credits roll, as I don't think I could tolerate having ANOTHER incomplete platinum tied to my account.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@RogerRoger 95% with the platinum FYI. It really is an easy platinum though as the vast majority of trophies come about pretty organically, it's mostly just hunting for the few pages you miss and some of the "genie moments" paintings.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Thrillho I'll deliberately leave some behind, methinks. Cheers!

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

Maquette.

It's, uh. I knew reviews weren't wowed by this game, so I approached this game with the right amount of caution. Reviews weren't bad, but I'm a big fan of puzzle games, so I wanted to give it a fair try.

I started with no hype at all, but after the first few puzzles my mind began racing at the possibilities of this recursive game world. Would I be uncovering later after layer of this maquette?

And what about this story? A touching love story, is what was promised me. Chapter 2 from the game even starts with a text like "a love unlike any other" and "epic times together".

Unfortunately... the execution isn't really there to make this into something Witness like great.

First the story. It's the most default break up story. The story isn't super detailed, but what it does tell you, is pretty much true for every relationship... ever. If you're excited by lines like "I love you", "I love you too", "Let's watch Netflix together" and "How was your day?", then this might be for you.

They probably chose this generic-type-everyone-can-relate-relationship for a reason. They probably wanted you to fill in the blanks yourself based on your own experiences or something, and wanted you to be able to identify with the main characters? Maybe. But this relationship is just so generic that there is no unique story beat in the whole game. I had a hard time being engaged with it.

Then the gameplay itself. Like I said, I expected some kind of puzzle world, but it's nothing like that. The game had about six or seven levels, and two and a half of them don't even implement the games core mechanic.

What also disappointed me is that this is at first presented as an interconnected puzzle world, but there's actually load screens in between each level, and the levels sometimes just suddenly changes... because? I think the promise of this game lies in this concept of a maquette that is a model of a larger world, in which every small crack is now suddenly a door. This game is not that.

And the puzzles themselves. The real challenge was more in me being disoriented, it not being clear whether there was actually a puzzle or if I just should search for a wall with a text on it to progress, or trying to put an object into place somewhere. As soon as you'll find out what it is you want to achieve, you'll usually find it in mere seconds. The puzzles only have one or two items each, which means they stay kind of basic.

Last thing: what's the connection between the gameplay and the story? Sure, there were a few winks with regards to big and small, but I really had a hard time connecting the gameplay to the story. It felt very disjointed.

Did I hate this game? No, some of the puzzles I thoroughly enjoyed trying out. And the soundtrack of this game is very, very good. Especially those Jay Som tunes.

Concluding: I very much agree with the Push Square review, with regards to its criticism on writing and gameplay. Personally I'm a bit harsher on the game, and would rate it a 6/10 or something?

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried That's one of the most enjoyable reviews I've ever read on this forum! Mind if I ask why you didn't post it over in the review topic? Did your thoughts just kinda run away with you?

Making It So Since 1987

Fight_Teza_Fight

Finally got around to beating Dark Souls 3, after being sat in my backlog for nearly 3 years.

I was looking for a game to get me back into the flow after taking a near 6month break & it did just that.

First time I resorted to using a summon in a souls game, as I really got sick of the lothric castle bonfire run to the last lord of cinder- I’m sure I must have missed a nearer bonfire... . Overall a good game, but I’m getting a bit tired of the souls formula. Fantastic soundtrack though.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

I beat Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls yesterday. A grades on every chapter, found all chapters of Socki the Sock and got nearly all the Bling Bullets and hit lists with a playtime of just over 16 hours clocked.

Having the 3rd person shooter-esque gameplay instead of the Visual Novel stuff was a nice change of pace and I actually quite liked it even if it was a little mechanically lacklustre in this spinoff.

The puzzle rooms were great too and I actually wished there was more of them... Or at least a couple of harder puzzles as I pretty much solved every one first try (The only ones I didn't were the Monokuma kid ones where I got spotted... But I just reloaded my save to complete it properly)

As for the story and character side of things... It was very much a Danganronpa game despite the gameplay shift. Though unlike the other ganes in the series... I got really uncomfortable at this a number of times with some of the events shown and the backstories for some of the characters and had to put the game down a few times.

The English voice acting I thought was really good with my highlights being Michelle Ruff as Jataro and Amanda Céline Miller as Toko (She was also Shirokuma which surprised me)

I was REALLY pleased with how Toko was portrayed in this as I actually liked the idea of Toko and Jack in Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc but I felt they was vastly underutilised and spent most of their time just drooling over Byakuya. So to have her really develop and become fire forged friends with Komaru was heartwarming to me and the fact Jack also became friendly and protective over Komaru was sweet too.

As for Monaca... I kinda figured she was gonna be a b*tch in sheep's clothing the moment she began talking in all honesty, as she already seemed to be manipulating the others into doing what she wanted. Boy was she despicable. Her ultimate plan was honestly kinda stupid though and didn't quite grab me... But she had some solid voice acting and really was a terrible person.

The finale got a bit long in tooth and the game did feel a bit longer then I thought it was... But overall I did quite like it.

I got this for £3.99 at the same time as Cuphead and honestly... I ain't gonna remember, and kinda regret buying, Cuphead. But I'll definitely remember this.

"Words don't make changes. Wounds do." Agent Black - Iconoclasts

PSN: GoddessFoxy-E
PLEASE tell me who you are from PushSquare when adding me or I WON'T accept the request.

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Interesting to read about your experience with UDG. Glad you enjoyed it. I can agree with pretty much everything you said. A nice change of pace, yet a familiar romp through the Danganronpa universe.
I am surprised that it trumps Cuphead though. I’ve not played that game, but as far as critical acclaim, the two games are on completely different levels.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

I just didn't get on with Cuphead @Th3solution all that much unfortunately in the end.

I wanted to play it ever since it was first announced to be Xbox and PC only as I loved the 30's cartoon aesthetic... So when it was finally announced to be coming to PS4 last year I jumped right on it.

But I found it rather frustrating at times to be honest. I got to the King Dice fight and I just haven't been bothered to go back to it as it's such a slog to get through (with one of the bosses in that boss rush in particular getting on my pip thanks to crap in the foreground obscuring the screen every now and again).

The last Island in general I found was a test of patience and I was mainly getting through it for the sake of it, rather then my own enjoyment.

Despite me usually getting through games regardless of that (Like Days Gone or NieR for example) I just couldn't be bothered to make the effort in "getting gud" enough at the tiresome gameplay and there was no story to fall upon (Which was my main problems with DG & NieR as they played just fine).

The gameplay just wasn't all that exciting or fun to me and it really was only the visuals that I was interested in with Cuphead.

Ultra Despair Girls may have made me uneasy a number of times with it's plot points and it may not have been as polished as Cuphead or as visually interesting either... But I just had more fun with it simply and that's all that matters sometimes. 😄

"Words don't make changes. Wounds do." Agent Black - Iconoclasts

PSN: GoddessFoxy-E
PLEASE tell me who you are from PushSquare when adding me or I WON'T accept the request.

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy My sentiments exactly. I’m thankful that I watched a Let’s Play of Cuphead when it came to PlayStation because I was ready to buy it on simple reputation alone, like I did with Undertale. Well, after watching the gameplay it was pretty clear to me that it wouldn’t be my cup o’ tea. Still, the endless amount of universal praise for the game often makes me wonder if I’m not giving it a fair shake. Sometimes it requires taking over the controller to truly feel the enjoyment of a game, and certainly there are plenty of times that I was unimpressed while watching gameplay but had a lot of fun actually playing a given game. But reading your experience solidifies my resolve that Cuphead and I just aren’t likely to get along. At least not at this stage in my gaming life.

Edited on by Th3solution

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I agree about Cuphead, it veered too far towards ‘just not fun’ on the difficulty scale at times. I am glad I beat it though, it felt like an actual accomplishment. King Dice was the hardest fight by a mile!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic