Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 2,881 to 2,900 of 5,530

RogerRoger

@OrigamiCrane There was a Headhunter demo included on one of those Official PS2 Magazine cover discs back in the day. Took place around a small gas station, maybe? I wanted to love it, thought it looked really cool, but I also found it really difficult!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

I... Didn't realise I was so close to the end of Cyberpunk 2077.

I haven't finished playing it (I hard saved, multiple times, before the point of no return) but I did end up getting one of the endings.

Specfically I got the ending where V ... Takes matters into their own hands and ends things on their terms. So not one of the official/trophy earning endings.

I'm surprised how calm and accepting Johnny was about this . Especially after he'd just taken control of V for a bit, revealed himself to Rogue and wants to kill Adam Smasher... I dunno if this is because I was good friends with him or something? Seemed a bit odd but oh well.

Have to admit I did think that this was actually done rather well and did make me feel incredibly guilty about taking that that ending. Especially Panam's scathing words. But Vik and Misty had some pretty good dialogue here too.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy That was what my uncle said. He said it was like you got the big Cyberpunk logo and Act 2 started and then within another few hours it was the point of no return. I get Witcher 3 was really long but.... did this one have to go so far the other way?

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

Yeah... I've only spent 25 or so hours on it @nessisonett & I spent over half of those just playing it last Fri, Sat and Sunday

Granted I've left a LOT of sidequests at the wayside but... I've said a couple of times in my posts about it that the main storyline seems to have flown by far too quickly with very little meaningful progression being made on my part.

I guess that's better then the Witcher III's wild goose/Ciri chase but at least that had some decent world building and characters.

I can't say I particularly like much of Cyberpunk's cast to be honest.

I like Vik & Misty. But they aren't in it all that much. I like Johnny as well (... I'd rather have him as a romance option then what fem V has tbh) but he's an absolute barstool at times and I can easily see people loathing him.

Can't even say I really like V to be honest as I think they're far too developed as a character to be a self insert for the player.

Despite having chosen Corpo as their background it really feels like an afterthought in pretty much every conversation I've been in, like V's been some hot headed streetpunk their whole life not only the supposed 6 months after the prologue/end of the lifepath.

Doesn't help me in the slightest that the female option is voiced by Makoto "Even Beige Wallpaper is more interesting then me" Niijima

Can't say the open world is anything different or exciting either. The only thing really different to me in particular is the setting. Otherwise the openworld is as generic as you might get mechanically, all the shops are pointless and does feel rather lifeless at times.

Doesn't help that the ending I achieved felt like the first proper choice I had in the game either? It at least had some consequences to it unlike any other time I supposedly had choice...

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yep its the side quests which bulk up the length of the game, and some of them play into the main quests too. Think it took me 115 hours to finish and I still had a lot of side content left. Think the reason cdpr said was that a lot of players didn't finish TW3 so decided to make the main storyline of Cyberpunk a lot shorter. But the content is there in the game if you want to extended your time with the game.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy It's a pity that main plot of Cyberpunk is so short, and the characters are largely uninteresting. The characters are broadly what saved TW3 for me, as there's a lot of great dialogue, choices, and interactions over the course of 100 hours or so.

The sheer gulf between expectations and reality with this game is pretty massive. Even if we ignore the monstrous hype leading up to launch, it just sounds like a worse Deus Ex. I feel like some people are holding out for CDPR to massively improve the game over time with updates, but I feel like that's probably just polishing a turd.

Was the music decent, at least? Aside from some terrible rock music, I've not heard much in the way of music from this game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Can't say I see myself playing Cyberpunk for 115 hours @JohnnyShoulder!

At least just with the one character.

Maybe I'd get closer to that with trying out a male V too... But I don't see it playing any differently (as I haven't really found the hacks with an intelligence based build all that useful) or the main quests going in a different direction.

If you're talking about The Samurai/Refused tracks by the terrible rock music in your post @Ralizah... I actually like those the most

I loathe all the other music that's played over the radio stations so I've ended up axing the radio entirely when I have to drive around Night City.

And whilst there IS music composed for the game... I honestly can't recall any in the slightest. Well there was one track that I noticed but that was more thanks to the sequence it was in rather then the track itself.

Certainly nothing memorable like The Witcher III's polish folk music that's for certain!

Thing is... I have this huge laundry list of thoughts regarding it that go from minor annoyances to things I just plain don't like about it Ral... And yet I don't hate it.

It hasn't garned that intense negative reaction from me like I had for Nier and my dislike for V is nowhere near as bad as say Deacon from Day's Gone.

Bit surprised myself actually. There clearly was/is something good here.

It's just painfully ironic that a game about corporations and the power they wield & the destruction they can cause through unfettered greed as they milk consumers for all they're worth with an exploited workforce... has been tarred by the descisions of upper management at CDPR to rush release a game that was made under ridiculous crunch, that's clearly unfinished and buggy to high heaven with absolute scumball marketing practices 😧

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Wait... female V is voiced by Makoto Niijima?! Sold! Wasn’t going to play Cyberpunk but now I gotta check it out. 😛

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I've never heard of her before, but I really like her as V and put her up there with some of the best VO from last year such as in The Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima and FFVIIR.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

HallowMoonshadow

I think Cherami Leigh's performance V is alright. At times. I think it's more the character and how she's written that get's on my pip rather then anything to do with Leigh herself @JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution wrote:

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Wait... female V is voiced by Makoto Niijima?! Sold! Wasn’t going to play Cyberpunk but now I gotta check it out. 😛

... She isn't the only Phantom Thief in Cyberpunk @Th3solution

The character of Misty, who deals with the occult and a tarot card questline is tied to, is voiced by Futaba (Erica Lindbeck), and Detective River Ward is Akechi (Robbie Daymond)

I do quite like Erica's performance as Misty (And Futaba was one of the better characters in Persona 5 imo) and personally I think she's one of the better characters in CP despite her limited screentime.

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Nice. Getting the Phantom Thieves back together!

Actually, it’s a little surprising because I find that there is a tendency for voice actors in Japanese developed games to only pop up in Japanese games, and those who work in Western developed games tend to stay in the Western games. It seems like there are cliques in the voice acting world. It’s not always true, like how Troy Baker was in Persona 4, but the pool of VA who do Japanese localization work seems limited. I’m not sure if it has to do with budget, or maybe there’s a stigma in the industry, or maybe it has to do with how these people’s agents have certain connections, but it’s good to see that Cyberpunk has a lot of crossover with some of the actors who have been doing more Japanese game performances.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @Th3solution No wonder I've never heard of her seeing as I've never played any of the persona games!

RogerRoger

OrigamiCrane wrote:

I think we may have owned the same copy of the PS2 magazine because I had that demo too! Yeah I had a similar experience but my memories are pretty hazy to say the least so I'm interested to go back to it

@OrigamiCrane Well, if I beat you to it, I'll tag you with some spoiler-free thoughts, as my curiosity got the better of me and, after watching five minutes of YouTube footage, I found a copy going cheap on eBay (along with its sequel, Headhunter Redemption). Thanks for the walk down memory lane! Might turn out to be terrible but hey, for £2.50 and free postage, it's worth answering the question!

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for the avatar praise, by the way! It'll probably get itself changed in a couple weeks, given my usual rotation, so I'm glad he got himself noticed before leaving!

Edited on by RogerRoger

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Th3solution wrote:

Actually, it’s a little surprising because I find that there is a tendency for voice actors in Japanese developed games to only pop up in Japanese games, and those who work in Western developed games tend to stay in the Western games. It seems like there are cliques in the voice acting world. It’s not always true, like how Troy Baker was in Persona 4, but the pool of VA who do Japanese localization work seems limited. I’m not sure if it has to do with budget, or maybe there’s a stigma in the industry, or maybe it has to do with how these people’s agents have certain connections, but it’s good to see that Cyberpunk has a lot of crossover with some of the actors who have been doing more Japanese game performances.

Well there are voice acting unions for a start @Th3solution (Least I think there are?)... Union actors presumably can't take non-union work outright, unless they're willing to not be credited or whatever (and no doubt frowned upon).

Plus it no doubt depends on where the video game company goes to for the voicework and where the various voice acting companies are based (Though obviously this has become less and less of a thing as time and progress marches forward and especially the past year)

There probably is some sort've cliques too, perhaps anime/japanese game voicework is more consistent but pays less then the triple A/flagpole titles...

There's far too many different factors to think about get a definitive answer to that musing of yours no doubt! But it's interesting to think about none the less! 😄

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Well, as we all know, my musings tend to lead down really bizarre and insensible places. 😛

Another aspect is that Japanese game dialogue is inherently different. Many of the games have some anime style silliness that takes a certain type of performance to really get right. And the other side of the coin is true, that Western scripts tend to be much more serious and gloomy and the comic relief delivery requires a different sort of performance.

urrutiap

recent games i beat for my Nintendo Switch Lite

Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil Remake. played twice as Jill to get her Resident Evil Nemesis outfit.

urrutiap

nessisonett

Beat Mortal Shell. About the most 6/10 game I’ve ever played.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

From your thoughts I saw in the other thread about it I was expecting a much more scathing score If I'm honest @nessisonett... Did it redeem itself a little in the end or was it still just painfully mediocre?

Ralizah

@RogerRoger I presume "Headhunter Redemption" is about the titular character turning himself into the police and seeking redemption for all the heads he has hunted over the years?

Also, what's up with the word "redemption" being used for literally no reason in SO MANY titles? Never quite understood that, since it sounds painfully generic. A series called "Headhunter" should have a little more pizazz. Like: "Headhunter: Max Carnage." Or "Headhunter: Just One Head More." Or even "The Revenge of Headhunter."

...you can feel free to ignore me. I'm in that weird state where I've just woken up, but I also haven't quite gotten enough sleep.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic