Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 2,901 to 2,920 of 2,956

Kidfried

@Onigumo i'm playing through Control and have to agree with something you said earlier somewhere here on the forums. On the hand hand it's such a modern game. Even though it's a previous-gen game, playing it on my PS5 feels very next-gen: all the particles, and stuff flying through the air, the movement. Just the physicality of it all.

On the other hand, it's like a lot of those games I loved in the 90's and 00's; warts and all. As if I'm playing an alternate dimension version of Max Payne, John Woo, Dead to Rights or Enter The Matrix. And the list goes on, hahaha.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder @Kidfried @Th3solution Thanks for the heads-up about Concrete Genie being part of this month's PS Plus, folks! That must've been where I'd seen it, instead of listed in a sale. I'll have to log on and add it to my Library later.

And yeah, Sol, your review was one of those aforementioned pieces of praise about the game. I remember you were fair about it, without being dismissive of its shortcomings, and made it sound unique and interesting. That drew me in, and made me keep it in mind as a potential "when it's at the right price" purchase. Now that it's practically free? Well, that's even better!

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@RogerRoger Yep, definitely worth a go. What I thought would be a distraction became my main game for a couple of days. I got the platinum last night, it was pretty straightforward, apart from one collectible which took me an hour to find. It was hiding in a bin, of all places.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 Bin there, done that... okay, in all seriousness? Congratulations on the platinum, and I will definitely be adding it to my Library. I'm even more curious to try it now!

Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

Bringing a bit new meaning to the idea of 'rubbish puns'.

I've just been scrolling through @Th3solution 's spot on review (although chasing scraps of paper in the wind didn't bother me as much as it did him, he sounded traumatised!) and the ensuing comments. At one point, @Arugula mentioned that it left him feeling generally happy, and I'd second that. It felt like playing through a Saturday morning cartoon at times. One to get up early and play while the sun comes up.

crimsontadpoles

Hitman 3. I've cleared each of the new levels a few times each, trying different approaches and getting some of the special events and that. It was a lot of fun, and is a great final game for the trilogy.

I'm not going to worry about completing all the various challenges, but I'll head back whenever there's new content (one of the legacy pack Hitman 1 levels is getting an elusive target this weekend).

Th3solution

@Gremio108 Re-reading my review brings back some memories (and also the eye twitches and palpitations as the flashbacks of chasing pieces of paper in the wind surface in my mind) and I had forgotten how innovative the game truly is. We need more games like this. I can see your analogy of it being a Saturday morning cartoon comfort food, and that rings true. Despite my giving it a 6.5/10, it deserves to be played and experienced, for sure.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

Gremio108

@Th3solution It's interesting to think that you played it in a pre-Covid world, while I've played it in a post-Covid one. I wonder if you'd give it a slightly higher score if you played it now? I know I appreciated an experience like Concrete Genie slightly more now than I would have done a couple of years ago.

Th3solution

@Gremio108 It’s an interesting thought experiment, but I think the awkwardness of some of the controls and character portrayal would still bring it down a little bit. But yes, the escapism of the relatively bright, charming, and inspiring setting might resonate with me in this cold, dark, and depressing world of 2020-2021. Interestingly, I played Death Stranding at the onset of the pandemic though and loved it, despite the associated irony of everyone in that game being holed up in their bunkers isolated from an apocalyptic world. Not to mention Resident Evil 1 & 2 were among my 2020 gaming highlights. 😅

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

RogerRoger

@crimsontadpoles Congratulations, and good to hear it makes for a fitting end to the trilogy! I'm eagerly awaiting my shot at it, come June (or thereabouts). Which of the new levels was your favourite?

Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@Th3solution Thanks for reminding me I've still got Death Stranding to play. I was wondering what I was going to play next. As soon as the second hand shops open again I'm grabbing a copy.

RogerRoger

@crimsontadpoles Awesome. I'd heard mixed reactions towards the final level, so it's good to know you've come down on the positive side of the fence. And initially disliking a level, only to grow to love it during later replays, is a sign of some classic Hitman design!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Didn't think I'd finish it so quickly, but I got myself hooked on inFAMOUS 2 enough to finish its story late last night, and I've just finished tidying up the map... well, not entirely finished, but finished enough. Got myself to 50% trophies and, for a game about binary choices in which I stuck with a puritanical one-sided playthrough, I feel like that's a fitting statistic to walk away with.

It's definitely an effective case study in an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach to sequel design. Its refinements felt familiar, yet new and exciting at the same time, and the sheer amount of combat options never became overwhelming (although it does suffer from a common open-world sandbox problem of giving you really useful abilities far too late in the day to... well, to be actually useful). I also loved its self-aware sense of humour, which was incredibly subtle but welcome after the first game's relatively level-headed take on a superhero origin story. Characters and scenarios made me smile a heck of a lot more, from having to attack a rampaging kaiju to just chillin' with Zeke, beer in hand.

In fact, I'd call the story Zeke's redemption arc, and it really worked. I didn't like him in the first game, at all, so he faced an uphill struggle here, but he made it. I also adored Kuo (in that rare, "Am I really sure I like guys?" kinda way) and that made the game's final series of plot twists slightly maddening, if not totally understandable. As for Cole, he was a good protagonist; likeable enough, but deliberately kept vague so that the player could swing freely between Good and Bad Karma. Because of this, I can't criticise the writers for not nailing down his personality a little more.

I instantly hated Nix, despite her being portrayed by one of my all-time favourite voice actors. Even though I'd resolved to play the hero, her presence as the Bad Karma avatar made avoiding a darker path ridiculously easy, and removed the element of choice from many of the game's moral dilemmas (which were pretty cut-and-dry anyway, at least to begin with). I would've preferred some tangible temptation with real grey areas, but I suppose this isn't Mass Effect.

Overall, a marked improvement over the original and, at least speaking from my own range of experiences, one of the PS3's best sandbox superhero games. I loved the setting, the tone, the gameplay and a majority of the characters... oh, and great music, too. Really looking forward to booting up inFAMOUS: Second Son in the near future, although I still have the standalone spin-off Festival of Blood to play on PS3 first. I gather it's only a couple hours' worth of a distraction, so I might get to that in a couple weeks and use it as a stepping stone to the PS4 games.

Here's where I tag @Th3solution as promised, and cut this off before it becomes a full review!

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger Wow, you've been ploughing through all these older inFamous games, so you can finally play Second Son? Isn't that the result of a few people here on the forums recommending you that game about three years ago?

Good to see you're going through the series. I am really curious what you think of Second Son. From what I remember Festival of Blood isn't really that special. But maybe I'm only saying that because I haven't thought about that game for the last 10 years.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Why yes, yes it is. Slow and steady wins the race!

I purchased them all, and played the first one, back in 2019 and I'm ashamed to admit it's taken me this long to play its sequel, through no fault of its own (probably because I ended up playing and loving multiple Spider-Man games, which share a lot of gameplay DNA). I made finishing the series one of my New Year's resolutions because I felt bad about abandoning it.

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus on Festival of Blood. I think it's a horror-based expansion, which was in fashion at the time (same as Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare).

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Really great impressions on Infamous 2, and thanks for the tag! I’m glad it was overall a positive experience and your thoughts are on par with what I remember from years ago. I didn’t play Festival of Blood, but still am curious if/when you play it to know how you get along with it.

As you say, the series doesn’t exactly trailblaze and innovate much, but I’m sure you’ll feel the biggest bump in evolution when you play Second Son. Same recipe, but a little different personality as well as better polish on the gameplay. I’m worried about Troy Baker’s Delsin grating on you, so be warned, but if you can get past the infinitely more annoying Zeke (yes, he’s one of my least favorite video game characters, but better in this second game, as you stated) then I feel like you’ll be able to get past some of the Baker shenanigans. Protagonist is what makes the standalone expansion First Light an actually better Infamous game, in my opinion. Anyways, I’ll stop short so as to not inadvertently influence you negatively, because all in all I think I liked Second Son better than either of the first two games, which is substantial praise.

————————

colonelkilgore

@RogerRoger maybe we’re not so different after all, loved InFAMOUS 2.

There are 2 rules in life:

1. Never disclose all of the information.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution No problemo. I'll try and remember to do the same for Festival of Blood (although the announcement of yet another remastered Star Wars game coming in early April just tossed a thermal detonator into my meticulous schedule, so it might not be right away).

Yeah, when I found out Troy Baker was the voice of Delsin Rowe, I did recoil slightly. I appreciate the heads-up all the same, and I'm sure I'll still be able to enjoy the experience if the gameplay is there, and its events lead towards First Light, which I'm really keen to try (because you're not the only person I've heard praise its protagonist). I still wouldn't call Zeke a particularly "good" character overall, but if they can at least make him tolerable in the space of a single release, I'll hold out some hope!

@colonelkilgore Hey, there's always some common ground somewhere! It's real easy to see why you'd prefer this game over Arkham City (and I say that as a huge bat-fan).

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@Th3solution I thought I would tag you as I believed we were discussing it...

I beat Heavy Rain this morning! I actually loved it by the end, I loved all the characters in it and also the setting. I do wonder if I'll enjoy the next two games as much if they lose the cast and setting because they seem to be my main takeaway from the game. As opposed to what I said earlier, I probably would play heavy rain again in the future or at least watch someone else play it if I can rope them in to doing it so I can see how differently the game might play out with someone else behind the wheel

The only thing I didn't like were the controls, the tank controls were a bit awkward and the motion controls were frustrating. Some bits of motion control was a lot worse than others, namely the gyrating hips of Madison Paige (not the worse bit to get stuck on except for the background music that blares out sex noises which is quite embarrassing 😅) and Madison riding the motorcycle at the end which I was unable to force my way through so I ended up holding the DS4 completely flat to get through it - awkward when you are playing the game in bed!(put in tags because in not sure if those bits are choice dependent). I did look up the motion controls and there was some anecdotal evidence that suggested that they didn't work as well in the PS4 version of the game in comparison to the PS3 version.

Anyway, apart from those small grievances, I loved the game and I would highly recommend it! I'll be highlighting that one as a "to buy" sometime in the future game on my PS Plus list instead of a "done" and dusted game.

Edited on by ralphdibny

ralphdibny

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic