Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 2,721 to 2,740 of 2,766

ShaiHulud

I completed Castlevania Bloodlines the other day. One of the few old-skool Castlevanias I had never finished, but I reckon it's a pretty good one! First game that Michiru Yamane worked on I think, so even though the soundtrack is a tad different than others from the early nineties, it's excellent in its own right, which the water stage theme as my personal highlight (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncu6d24xM_Y)

ShaiHulud

nessisonett

And that’s both DLCs finished in Assassin’s Creed Origins which means I’m done! Really enjoyed The Hidden Ones, the plot especially was fantastic for an expansion and it was nice to see what the characters got up to 4 years later. Curse of the Pharaohs was absolutely nuts but in a good way, despite the somewhat messy plot. The boss fights were seriously great and challenging and the different realms you travel to are perfect photo mode fodder. Speaking of which, I should really sort through my many, many photos from this game 😅

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett I've loved some of the shots people have shared from Assassin's Creed Origins, so am looking forward to seeing what you've snapped (no pressure, though)!

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger That’s me also finished the original Medal of Honor and wow, it’s seriously great! Honestly, it’s right up there with DOOM and GoldenEye as one of the best classic FPS games. The missions are varied and interesting, with some truly revolutionary mechanics like social stealth through waving your passport and generally not looking suspicious. The controls have a scheme pretty much identical to modern controls and they work rather well too! I’ll probably play Underground sooner rather than later since I enjoyed it so much.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Awesome to read (especially after the scathing dismissal I just scrawled about European Assault in another topic). Yeah, I'm often disappointed by how many people talk about the great FPS games of yesteryear and end up saying "You had DOOM, then you had GoldenEye, then you had Halo and here we are!" The original Medal of Honor is superb stuff. Tons of variety, unobtrusive stealth, some clever dancing around the hardware limitations, and some cinematic special sauce added by Spielberg, Michael Giacchino and DreamWorks Interactive.

Underground is more of the same, but that's not a criticism. Everything still feels fresh enough, and the switch in protagonist is very welcome. You'll love it. EA bringing the development in-house for Frontline on PS2 was the beginning of the end, but we'll always have that PSone pair.

Making It So Since 1987

PSVR_lover

@crimsontadpoles “ Completed my first game of 2021, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. It's a decent enough Ace Attorney game and a lot of fun, though I'd argue it's not quite as great as the Phoenix Wright trilogy.”

I played this game on the DS in the day, not the best in the series, only pretty good. You are correct, the Phoenix Wright trilogy is much better.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

nessisonett

Finished Horace there, even got the million junk to get the best ending. I welled up far too many times, it’s an stone cold classic. I really hope as many people play it as possible, it truly lives up to NLife’s 10/10 score and more. It’s hard to describe my emotions about the game without giving too much away, it benefits a lot from a blind playthrough. It’s been a long time since a game has affected me in this way though.

TheIdleCritic

@nessisonett Gestapo Threat Neutralised.

The entries I enjoyed were the original, and the first in the reboot series. They seem to be able to get the initial releases right lol.

RogerRoger

Yesterday I started Ico [HD Classics] on PS3, and today I beat it.

I'll keep this brief: if you've played The Last Guardian before, or are planning on playing The Last Guardian at some point, then don't bother with Ico.

That is, unless you somehow enjoyed The Last Guardian for reasons other than Trico, and would therefore be interested in a downgraded expansion pack which swaps out the adorable giant bird-dog for a luminescent waifu. No? Thought not.

Seriously, they're exactly the same game. I'm talking "annual sports franchise" levels of similarity here; you guide a banished boy around a giant castle, directing and protecting an NPC who helps you to solve platforming puzzles. The biggest difference is that, with no Trico to trample enemies for you, you're equipped with a length of two-by-four with which to batter them yourself. I can totally understand why this particular mechanic was consigned to Fumito Ueda's wastebasket during development of The Last Guardian, because the "combat" (word used lightly) in Ico is a tediously repetitive button-mashing exercise which grinds everything to a halt with alarming regularity. It's the one design area where the director's legendary simplicity works to the game's disadvantage.

And, with that singular distinguishing feature noted, there's no reason for me to write a full review. The whole thing took me a couple minutes over four hours and yet, I still found it sluggish. Probably because the breakdown ended up being 40% aimlessly swinging a plank at shadows, 30% wrestling with the camera, and 20% cajoling a concrete-footed princess. That only left me 10% for actual enjoyment.

Its aesthetic beauty and haunting minimalism was probably a major draw back on PS2, and I'll admit that Bluepoint have worked wonders with the PS3 remaster, enhancing the castle's impressive sense of scale. It's just that I've already seen it rendered in intricate detail, during The Last Guardian. I knew to expect a certain style from Ueda, but I didn't expect it to be so intransigent and, without the magic of Trico's presence, it ended up trying my patience. Thank goodness I played The Last Guardian first. I might not have been so taken with its environment, had I known.

Maybe it's my fault. Maybe I shouldn't have played them backwards. Regardless, I know for a fact that right here, right now, there is absolutely no reason to go back to Ico. It's been done far, far better since, and with a far more compelling companion.

Even the music was lame.

Tagging @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy and @Ralizah as promised.

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@RogerRoger Yikes, that's a pretty scathing assessment of ICO! I haven't touched it since the PS2 and did admittedly find it a somewhat difficult game to get into. I think my biggest gripe was the combat. Development supposedly started on the PS1, which may explain certain design decisions. I know you've said you don't want to play Shadow of the Colossus, but I will say that the music in that is absolutely magnificent, so would still recommend giving it a listen on any of the music services.

Edited on by mookysam

#BlackLivesMatter

RogerRoger

@mookysam I've got the soundtrack from The Last Guardian blaring as I type this. I've heard some of the Shadow of the Colossus music before, and would agree with your assessment. Again, perhaps it's unfair to judge Ico against what came after, rather than before, but it's 2021 and I think the TARDIS is firmly parked in the TV topic at the moment.

Surprised to hear it started as a PSone game, though. That's probably because Bluepoint did such a good job with the remaster, so it felt more modern than it perhaps should have.

But yeah, the combat is atrocious. And incessant in the first half. Really badly balanced.

Making It So Since 1987

crimsontadpoles

@RogerRoger Oh wow, those are some interesting thoughts. It's pretty much the exact reverse of my opinions on Ico and The Last Guardian.

I wasn't keen on the combat in The Last Guardian. That was just hiding behind Trico until it stomped on all the enemies. The combat in Ico wasn't exactly great either, but at least it was a bit more involved. Plus there's always a fun childish appeal about waving a big stick about.

Plus I found the puzzles in Ico to have more variety to them. Most of the ones in The Last Guardian was just about signaling to Trico until it eventually did what you wanted.

One thing I'll agree with you about is that Trico is wonderful. I'm not sure if it beats a luminescent waifu (the world needs more of these), but Trico is a good doggo.

Anyway, each to their own. It would be boring if everyone liked the same things.

UnlimitedSevens

Visage

You guys are sleeping on this game. It is billed as a spiritual successor to PT and this is one of the rare cases where it absolutely lives up to that marketing speech.

It is the best psychological horror game on console, and - in my opinion - the scariest game I've ever played. It unseated my previous favorite, Amnesia. Not high on jump scares like recent entries in the genre but endlessly more atmospheric and effective at creating a real sense of dread.

Just finished it. Negatives about the experience are a clumsy inventory management system and while the graphics are pretty darn good, the human models look fairly poor graphically (it is first person). Also, this is a horror game - you are walking around twisting door handles and picking things up, not shooting things with a shotgun. Be forewarned haha.

Also, the game is pricy for a digital-only title at $35 and seems resistant to sales. It is worth it though, every penny.

If you like psychological horror... give it a try!

UnlimitedSevens

colonelkilgore

Beat the ‘story’ on Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker today but still a ways to go on scratching that Platinum. S Ranking every main mission and extra op is gonna mean I’m sticking with it until at least the end of January I’d imagine.

There are 2 rules in life:

1. Never disclose all of the information.

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Ouch!

Interesting to hear that you found this so similar to TLG that it actually felt like a bit of a clone, considering how different SotC is gameplay-wise. There are definitely games I've played that felt like strict improvements on what came before them, to the point where they made their predecessor game irrelevant. It sounds like this is a similar case for you.

One interesting similarity between TLG and SotC is the way it creates a bond between the player and an animal companion (I know a LOT of people who played the latter formed an emotional attachment to Agro, Wander's loyal and invaluable steed as he slays colossi throughout the wastes). It seems like that's missing in Ico, and perhaps it requires less of a push for the player to bond with animals, whose silence we expect, than a translucent waifu who, if I had to guess, probably doesn't receive much, if anything in the way of development.

How's the performance? SotC, while impressive in scale, felt like it ran at 15 fps on PS2.

@UnlimitedSevens Interesting. I've never even heard of that game. Is there any sort of combat, or is it strictly an Amnesia-like in the sense that you hide from enemies?

Edited on by Ralizah

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Monster Hunter Rise demo (Switch)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Wonderfully entertaining mini-impression piece on Ico. 😄 Reading your experience has me certain that I look back on it through rose-tinted glasses since I don’t recall being put off by the gameplay. It was my first Ueda game and so the environment felt unique, and foreboding yet charming. Nostalgia has me remembering the exploration and combat to have been perfectly acceptable at the time for the PS2. But it has obviously not aged well and time has marched past it. Thanks for warning me to not waste my time and go back to it! I’ll just keep the warm fuzzies that I once felt intact. 😅

You may or may not have noticed that one of my 2021 goals was to replay some old favorites. I was inspired by you and other users on here that have posted about returning to enjoyable games from years ago. Ico was actually on my short list of about 10 games that were candidates for that goal. Welp... the short list is now even shorter. 😃

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger I loved ICO and I think it was pretty much for the exact same reasons that you mentioned as being the good parts! The scale and that castle, I just love ridiculous castles in games for some reason. I couldn't get into SotC when I played it tbh but I will get around to finishing it some day. I haven't played the last guardian yet either but I have it on disc and will play it some day. What did you mean about seeing the castle again in TLG, is it set in the same place or something? The HD version also supports 3D, I really want play it in 3D at some point if I can secure the now hard to find at a reasonable price technology to do so!

@colonelkilgore well done on finishing Peace Walker! Have you finished the final chapter where you have to keep finding that guy and beat Metal Gear Zeke at Mother Base? Also did you manage to unlock the two Date missions and the Monster Hunter crossover missions? I can't remember the exact method of getting it but there is a weapon called the Fulton Cannon or something that is absolutely brilliant for those stupid tank and armoured vehicle missions because you can Fulton a bunch of enemies with one well aimed shot.

Edited on by ralphdibny

ralphdibny

colonelkilgore

@ralphdibny so gone and found Zadornov 7 times and then beat you know who atop mother base and had a date with Paz. The date with Kaz hasn't become available yet though. Still playing through the 2nd and 3rd generations of the various ai's so I havent gotten to the Monster Hunter crossover ops yet either.

I was playing some co-op earlier this week and my partner had the fulton cannon, that paired with the infinity bandana seems a pretty OP combination. I don't have either yet but will be looking to get them ASAP.

Great game all things considered.

There are 2 rules in life:

1. Never disclose all of the information.

Th3solution

@ralphdibny As far as the Ico setting, I can’t be overly confident because it’s been a while since I played it, but I don’t think the castle is point-for-point the same structure as The Last Guardian, but I think Rog was referring to the fact it is thematically, artistically, and functionally the same basic kind of structure as the castle in Ico, just less well done. The awe and wonder of seeing it would certainly be blunted after seeing TLG’s more sophisticated rendition.

But here’s where it gets a little touchy, not trying to spoil things — if/when you play Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian, there are plenty of theories about the three games being in the same universe and interconnected. In fact I think it’s fairly safe to say they are. As for whether the exact locale is supposed to be identical, I don’t know. I don’t think so. Definitely there is a shared world amongst Ueda’s games.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic