Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 2,661 to 2,680 of 5,530

HallowMoonshadow

Ouch @RogerRoger! I have to admit I was somewhat expecting you to not quite like it as much as The Last Guardian but I wasn't quite expecting you to be quite as savage to Ico either... I figured you only find the controls clunky or something. 😄

It's a shame you found it quite so similar to TLG. Having only ever played a demo of Ico years ago & it being my only experience with an Ueda game (as I've said before) I'm still quite intrigued... Maybe I'll fish that PS2 demo out from wherever it is and give it a little go when I finish Code Vein (I don't wanna jump into Yakuza 0 just yet).

Is your copy of The Last Guardian a physical release Rog btw? I've seen that on PS5 (Thanks to a digital foundry video) that if you don't patch it up, the game runs at a near flawless 60fps (At the cost of some bug tweaks and some other things I can't remember). I figure you aren't a performance buff or anything... but an interesting little tidbit none the less if you plan on revisiting it sometime on the newer hardware.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

ralphdibny

@colonelkilgore I feel like I couldn't ask you to do that for me! But I'll try booting it up in the next week or so and have a look at what trophies I need and let you know, cheers

See ya!

colonelkilgore

@ralphdibny I honestly wouldn't mind, we'd just set it up and then go and do other things while it accumulates. Up to you either way.

**** DLC!

ralphdibny

@colonelkilgore What's your PSN? I'll add you at least. If you don't want it to be public, I think you can tag me in a post that says your PSN, then delete it and I should still get the notification e mail with the post in it

See ya!

DerMeister

Beat Ghost of Tsushima last night. What a game. Sometimes you just want something that hits all the right notes, and Ghost certainly did. Everything about this game has something I enjoy, and I see it as one of the best games PlayStation has.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

HallowMoonshadow

I've done it.

That last boss was a right piece of work and kinda obnoxious (The Virgin Born I mean not the Skull King (whom took me way more tries but I found infintely more enjoyable)) but Code Vein has finally been beaten.

I had to abandon my dreams of a low level run towards the end, fighting the final boss at lvl 100 (Though I'm still quite chuffed I made it halfway through the game at only lvl 10) as the difficulty started to ramp up and become more "souls like" then more of a standard action rpg with some souls elements I waa seeing it as towards the beginning.

Had a blast with it and definitely going to play through it again at some point. Plus with it not booting me straight into a new game plus like Dark Souls 2... Now I can go focus on getting a few more screenshots to slap on the eventual review 😄

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Congratulations! You've spent a heck of a lot of time with that game, so I'm glad it all paid off in the end (obnoxious boss notwithstanding). I'll look forward to the review, especially since it sounds like it'll be a positive one!

And thanks for your previous-page reply regarding Ico. Obviously I came out swinging, but it might not be the worst thing to play both it and The Last Guardian (just do it in release order, so that you end up appreciating the incremental improvements, rather than lamenting their absence). As previously discussed, I think I had that same demo, and might still have the disc around here somewhere... although after my experience, I'm not sure I can be bothered to dig it out and compare performance!

Alas, my copy of The Last Guardian was digital. Got it in a sale. You're right, performance isn't the most important aspect of gaming to me, but I do frown upon chuggy framerates. I don't mind whether it's 60fps, 30fps or whatever, just as long as it's consistent.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Wow, was it relatively straightforward after Mido then? Can’t say I’m looking forward to the final boss though 😅

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

Yeah you're pretty much the final stretch @nessisonett. You've got the area you're in (Which is fairly short) and then one last area (not to mention a couple of bosses) and you're done!

Compared to the 130+ hours I spent on Divinity Original Sin II last year the 65 hours or so I spent in Code Vein was a breeze @RogerRoger.

I don't think the timer pauses whilst pausing or using the photo mode so... You can probably shave off a few hours from that 😅

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy And that’s me finished Code Vein too! Spent a bit of time on finishing off The Depths including a brilliant twist on Cannoneer and Blade Bearer but didn’t have too many difficulties with the normal final boss. The super secret final boss however... is terrible. Utterly rubbish. The camera has been pretty good for the most part in this game until this fight where it’s completely all over the place. It feels like they just took Moon Presence from Bloodborne and applied it to the Code Vein template. It’s not a good boss at all and a real shame to finish on. The hitboxes are silly and it only took normal damage on an always moving tiny target. Just an annoying fight. I did enjoy the game though, it’s not up there with Nioh or most of the Souls games but I prefer it to Dark Souls 2!

Th3solution

@nessisonett @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Congrats on the Code Vein completion. Not sure when I might play it, but I would like to keep it in mind for my next Soulsborne candidate. The latter part of the game does concern me if the difficulty ramps up like that. I’m not a Souls Pro like you all.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution To be blunt - the game’s not that difficult. Some annoying bosses but none of them honestly took me more than 5 goes. The fact the game gives you a partner throughout takes the edge off in a good way, I’m not one for needless challenge! It’s one of those games with 2 or 3 genuinely hard bosses that will probably stand out as your favourite fights due to the challenge or your least favourite if you get stuck a while. The areas are never that difficult but you can get lost pretty easily.

HallowMoonshadow

As I said in my initial post @Th3solution I was originally trying to beat the game as low a level as possible as a self imposed challenge. Levelling up only increases your hp and atk (Changing Codes/Classes is what changes your stats like dexterity and such) so part of the game getting difficult for me was more my skill level finally reaching it's ceiling and having to approach it like I would normally.

I'm not that good at souls games after all... You definitely won't see me attempting a no damage run or beating it with a dance mat like some of those madmen/women

Like ness says the partner system really does help take the edge off and it does have a number of things that makes it easier to ween you into the genre.

I think the only problem for me about the boss was the choice to make it only take full damage from certain areas @nessisonett (I can't recall a moment like that in a souls game?)

If they just had it take full damage from wherever you hit it that would've gone way faster for me. The camera wasn't great either (and honestly I found to be very well behaved otherwise) but pretty sure I've still had it worse in the souls games at some point.

Oh... You got the "true" ending with the golden blood bead right? Was it just me or did the song that play throughout that sequence almost sound like a disney song? It kinda threw me a loop if I'm honest 😂

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy You haven’t been playing this blindfolded with a dance mat? I’m so disappointed. 😜
Yeah, I remember you had tried playing a self-imposed level restriction to ramp up the difficulty, which is the opposite way from my “grind and level up for ages before moving on” strategy that I take when I’ve played Soulslike games before. So I guess it would still be possible in this game for a guy like me to be able to level grind to make things easier? And did you ever have to resort to YouTube or online strategy guides to make it through the tougher parts?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

Haze (This game's version of souls) gets handed to you rather generously @Th3solution through normal enemies.

You can get Haze items from your companions on a pretty regular basis (That ties into the basic relationship system I believe) and enemies drop haze granting items on a regular-ish basis too. There's a passive ability to increase the amount of Haze that's dropped too that you can acquire from one of the codes.

I was buying loads of items, unlocking all the gifts/skills as soon as I got them and I was still swimming in the stuff (Of course for half the game I wasn't levelling up at all mind you). Had over 2 million spare at one point which was towards the end admittedly 😄

Plus with the game giving you the ability to get half your haze back (But losing the other half) if you're really stuck by visiting the hot springs at the back of your home base (Which I never actually used... Plus the game also lets you rewatch all the previous seen cutscenes there too) you should find it much easier to hold onto the stuff!

As for guides... No. But I never do that either.

Had a quick look just to see and there seem to be the typical guides on fextralife for areas and bosses and the likes which should help anyone out!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Sounds good. Thanks!
I only survived some Bloodborne bosses by being able to watch a YouTube video of how someone else defeated them. I always gave myself a chance to do it on my own, mind, but there were several bosses that I watched a video; Same thing with one of the bosses in Jedi Fallen Order. On the contrary, I never once asked for a companion assist on any of the BB bosses, which I know a lot of people say that helps a lot to get past some of them. But it’s amazing how helpful it can be just to watch someone else best a boss. It’s proof that it can be done, which in some cases I felt like the game was asking the impossible 😅

Edited on by Th3solution

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic