Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 2,521 to 2,540 of 5,490

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Oh? I remember you being pretty happy with Cold Steel 1. CS2 wasn't as impressive?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@nessisonett I don’t have Now, but I think I have one of the early games in my PS3 library as a PS Plus game from a couple years ago. I’ve always meant to play the series, but just never got around to it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Yeah the cannibal level was ace after the trudge of a level before. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't mix it up a bit more, but overall I really enjoyed by time with it. Probably one of the most immersive games I've played in awhile.

@Th3solution I played Exodus after only playing something like 2 hours of the first game. The writing is strong enough that I never felt like I was missing out on anything having not played the previous games.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

ralphdibny

I have now completed 63 games since the first UK lockdown started in March. I decided to write them all down on paper when I started getting through them rapidly but I've now filled up an A4 page so I thought I'd post it here and over on PX too.

Untitled

To some people I'm sure this might not seem like a lot but I have been bad at finishing games in the past due to the knackering job I do so I am quite proud of this!

It's been a combination of backlog, game pass, ps plus, the two game clubs, replaying games/series as well as the odd movie or TV tie in to a show or movie series I've been watching!

I think the game I enjoyed most out of all of the new games I've played was the Talos Principle and the two games I spent longest on were MGS Peace Walker and MGS 5 at 90 hours and 130-something hours a piece. I think those two long games balance out the shortest games on this list like Erica and some minigolf games.

If I've finished a game from before lockdown rather than started it from scratch then I've counted two "finished" games as one and put them as one entry.

If you can read my handwriting then do ask me about any of the games if you want, I may have some brief or detailed thoughts on them!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Th3solution

@ralphdibny 😱
That is an amazing list! Nicely done!

I do have a few questions. I’m assuming this wasn’t the first playthrough for many of these. Specifically wondering about the Uncharteds. How many playthroughs does this make for the series? And upon revisiting the series, how did it hold up this time? Which was your favorite of the UC games this time around?

That’s a lot of Metal Gear. 😄 How did you like (or dislike) MG Survive?

Also, I can’t remember if you already commented about it before, but how was your experience with Hellblade? It’s one of my favorites this generation and one that I still ponder months later.

And in general, did any of the games disappoint upon going back and replaying them? Did any hold up even better than you remembered from playing them before?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

ralphdibny

@Th3solution cheers! I'd only played uncharted 1+2 once before and they were two of my favourite PS3 games. I have the PS3 version of uncharted 3 too but I was always waiting for the 3d TV to be available in the living room so I could play it in 3D and well, it just never happened. So this was my first time with 3, golden abyss, 4 and the lost legacy. Also I played the PS4 remakes of the first 3 this time. Anyway, all brilliant games, I couldn't tell you which one was my favourite because they are all just really fun games with fun stories and characters. I also played golden abyss on a hacked psTV because I wanted to play it on the big screen and the stock PSTV didn't support that particular game, I may go back and play it on the vita if I ever fancy 100%ing all the collectables!

(Edit: I also liked that Lost Legacy finally explained Chloe's accent, I literally thought it was just a bad VO job in uncharted 2, but the kind of worldwide upbringing and mixed heritage made it make a lot more sense and she is one of my favourite characters now (after the local boy Charlie Cutter that is))

Metal Gear survive is actually good enough to be honest. It was the first time I played it and bought it for about a tenner and I'd say it was worth it if you are doing a run through of every metal gear game. Obviously the hype and hate had died down by the time I played it so I had no real expectations on it. Considering stuff like Snakes Revenge, Ghost Babel (just called Metal Gear Solid over here in the UK!) and Metal Gear Acid exists, I really don't mind Metal Gear Survive being in the semi-canon state that those games are in. I only played the single player on survive and it took about 15-20 hours because there's a bit of grinding toward the end of the story. A couple of super hard bosses get unlocked as post game content but I just went and had a look at them but didn't bother grinding to beat them because I don't think they unlock any more story really.

Hellblade was really heavy, for me at least. It was an amazing game but I think knowing what it was about before I played it sort of allowed the intended effect to really sink in, especially as I have gone through long periods of my life with cyclical thinking and self doubt and criticism. Obviously barring all the fantasy elements, from my own experience I feel like the game was quite realistic in how that sort of thing can really bare down on you and feel insurmountable before you can kind of push it all away and attempt to move on.

I don't think any revisited games disappointed me. Playing Peace Walker, GZ and the phantom pain again only allowed me to notice more stuff about those games (as they are a bit of a trilogy). I think that's true of all the main Metal Gear games though, they kind of throw so much at you that only through replaying them and doing extra reading can you fully appreciate them. I didn't expect to replay either Peace Walker or the phantom pain again, especially as they don't offer a new game plus like other MGS games so I actually had to delete my MGSV save data to start again. I am really glad I did though because of the greater insight that it afforded me! (God that sounds pretentious lol)

I'd barely touched the gears of war games in the past, I was a bit disappointed by the first 3 but as KratosMD mentioned to me, I was probably a bit burned out by the time I got to the third one. I just finished the fourth game after a 6 month break from them and really enjoyed it. Not sure if it was the expanded back story in 4, or just the kind of oldies back in the game storyline that I quite like from films like The Expendables or Creed but it did kind of make me want to revisit 1-3 (though I probably won't any time soon still).

Maybe the first splinter cell game wasn't quite as good as I remembered it but I did play the PS3 HD collection version and it has really bad frame rate issues. I'm quite tempted to pick up the Xbox versions at some point to play with backwards compatibility because they look really good/smooth in the YouTube videos I've seen!

Thanks for having a good peruse through my list though, much appreciated! Sorry for writing such an essay to answer your questions!

Edit 2: Spyro was also a very pleasant surprise, I only ever played a bit of it on PS1 and never got into it properly compared to Crash Bandicoot. I found the remake to be really pleasant and an actual 3d platformer whereas Crash is conventionally more of a 2d platformer even if it has an over the shoulder view point. spyro is nowhere near as insane as crash in terms of difficulty too but there are a couple of troubling spots in 1 (namely involving boosting off ramps in one particular level for 100% completion) so it was a nice change of pace in general

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny My word, your list... I think a pat on the back wouldn't do it justice, but appropriate force might land you in hospital, so I'll settle for a simple "congratulations" instead!

Just to go back to the previous page, no, I hadn't played Conviction before Blacklist but I knew I was missing a piece of the puzzle, so anything I didn't understand I at least understood why I didn't understand, which was understandable (understand?). I'll fill in the blanks eventually. No worries on spoilers because, I'll be honest, the storylines of the Splinter Cell games usually fade from my memory, overwritten by things I prefer. That isn't to bash the series, but... well, c'mon, you're also a Metal Gear fan, so you know how much brain-space Mr. Kojima demands for his series alone!

There's a behind-the-scenes video where Michael Ironside visits the mo-cap sessions for Blacklist and puts a verbal seal of approval on the new Sam Fisher. I think he's too much of a gentleman to bring up his cancer scare in such circumstances, and it'd undermine the actor's performance if there was a piece of PR out there saying "Well, I wouldn't done it if I could, but you're stuck with this guy instead." It's a shame, but an understandable one, and a tricky thing to get right.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Oh? I remember you being pretty happy with Cold Steel 1. CS2 wasn't as impressive?

Yeah... You could say that @Ralizah 😅

Most of my gripes are to do with writing, plot and the likes so it's something I can't really talk about easily due to spoilers and the interconnected nature of the series only makes it harder... I might have to put a spoiler section in the eventual review as I can only dance around it so much...

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger cheers!! I think I understand but can you just clarify that bit....jk! Yeah the story is a bit in the background of the first few games, it doesn't really get very personal until the death of Sarah which kind of makes up the crux of double agent, essentials and conviction

What you've said definitely makes more sense than how I've interpreted it (which is naturally cynically). I thought after giving Ironside the boot, Ubisoft tried some revisionist history to make themselves not look like the bad guys from giving him the boot! But I'll go with your version, sounds more likely than an intern at Ubisoft editing Wikipedia pages about ten year old video games lol

See ya!

Th3solution

@ralphdibny That’s really fascinating. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts.

I can completely understand where you’re coming from with Hellblade. It skirts a line there that is dark, indeed. I guess I really appreciated the validation the whole project lended to the topic of mental health and I really like it when art can tastefully attack heavy issues and come out on the other end satisfactorily. But I definitely see that it wouldn’t be for everyone. But I’ve always argued that humankind’s hardest and most significant battles are fought within one’s mind and soul.

The Uncharted games are among my favorite series, and yet I’ve never re-played them. I’ve said before that I’m not one to replay games typically, but I keep thinking that I need to do this series. Maybe someday.

Anyways, great work there and I think your handwriting is not near as bad as mine! 😅

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I wish KratosMD was around to react to your hot take on ToCS2! 😄 He really championed that series and so it is a little surprising to see a contrary opinion of it. I admit that reading your lukewarm outcome to the second game saps a little bit of my motivation to finish the first one.

Thrillho

@crimsontadpoles I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed Yakuza Zero

I have got nowhere near 100% completion or the platinum in any game of the series so far because they require two runs (no thanks) and also learning how to play MahJong. Someone on another forum I use did learn how to play MahJong for the game and has got the platinum for Zero and the two Kiwami games.

I hope you plan to continue with the series. The Kiwami games play brilliantly as they use the Zero engine and are a bit more limited but still great fun.

Thrillho

HallowMoonshadow

Th3solution wrote:

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I wish KratosMD was around to react to your hot take on ToCS2! 😄 He really championed that series and so it is a little surprising to see a contrary opinion of it. I admit that reading your lukewarm outcome to the second game saps a little bit of my motivation to finish the first one.

Yeah... I REALLY wanted to re-read his Trails Of Cold Steel 3 review that he penned after finishing the second now that I actually know the series more clearly @Th3solution 😅

There's nothing mechanically wrong with it at least.

The music's good, battles are a bit harder, there's a few tweaks and improvements to gameplay.

I don't think the fact I played most of the second game straight after the first has much to do with my more lukewarm thoughts regarding it either... I wouldn't recommend playing it straight after though!

I'll give you a tag if you like when I eventually pen it all down?

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Given the hideous version of Double Agent I ended up playing, I'm not surprised that it lacked impact; maybe I'll track down its PC port alongside Conviction and start over.

And hey, it's Ubisoft, so I don't blame you for cynicism in the slightest! They were rotten to the core, and I still don't trust them at the moment, either. Here's hoping everything that's come to light this year affects some real change going forward.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Certainly! If you remember then @ me if you write up all your thoughts. I realize that it will be difficult to do so without spoiler tagging a bunch of content, but I don’t ever check my email for notifications, I just use the site, so I won’t see anything that’s spoiler tagged.

ralphdibny

@Th3solution cheers, my handwriting just changes loads from one sentence to the next haha, it's partly the angle, fatigue, speed and other things I guess lol

I didn't mean to say hellblade was bad. I really enjoyed it or rather immersed myself in the experience at least. I just kinda meant it was really effective in what it set out to achieve which is a good thing. I've seen a lot of films and shows about mental health, different aspects of it, that I enjoy too. Stuff like shock corridor, one flew over the cuckoo's nest, gothika, requiem for a dream, shutter Island, gone girl and legion. Some of its a bit sloppy but overall it's amazing how a lot of it can be way ahead of its time in normalising these issues, even if it's usually through the scope of a counter cultural horror movie lol. Hey you gotta entertain while you educate I guess!

I think the good thing about uncharted is that they are very much like interactive movie even if they fall largely into the action platformer genre of games. I know some of the gun fights can get a bit tedious but overall I'd compare replaying them to marathoning a movie series that gives your hands something to do rather than a game itself. Like I think you could watch somebody play it and still have a good time

@RogerRoger ah I haven't really been following the Ubisoft news, maybe something about bullying but it's a big company and this is just one that's been exposed. I usually assume that a company as big as that is going to be a bad thing, some combination of career go getters, suck ups, bullies, middle management, shareholders profits and board of directors bonuses is going to result in a crummy environment. I did hear some guy cheated on his wife but that's not really anyone elses business apart from his and his family's so I wouldn't hold that against Ubisoft in particular. But yeah I've done plenty of work for huge companies as a contractor and my general takeaway is that it's lame but then again I am a bum that moves from contract to contract making peanuts in the scheme of things! Even the companies I work for that have all the good practises in place seem like rubbish places to work because there's always this culture of not grassing people up who make your life miserable for fear of reprisal, or that person is the gatekeeper to promotion or some other benefit. I don't mean to insult anybody who works for these companies, there are plenty of people who are just doing it for a wage slip, they go in, go home and earn their money to support their family and I have a huge respect for that. Sometimes I (and my bank balance) wish that I wouldn't get so invested in the working environment and just be able to suck it up and go for it but I'm just not ready, yet

@Thrillho nah not yet! That will be on page 2, I'll probably play it once I've finished gears 5 and tactics or maybe in between.

One thing I did note about Spyro actually is that it's not really a d-pad game so it could be played on any console really (I have it on PlayStation) whereas the Crash games and also Crash Team racing are way more precise so I think you need to play it on a controller that has a decent d-pad like the dualshock 4

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I'm running into that issue in my piece about the digital devil saga duology. I think I'm just going to end up being deliberately vague about the plot of the second game.

If I ever review the Trails in the Sky games, it'll also be an issue, because the premise of the second one hinges on a twist at the end of the original.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Also the 3rd TitS (just gonna brazenly use it now) hinges on a massive spoiler from the 2nd game too. It’s a series you have to play in order for sure.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett I can practically hear the mischevious giggle every time you type that acronym.

Getting any further in Zero? Or have you moved on to Ao?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic