Forums

Topic: Another Definitive Best Game of All Time Megapoll (Boss battle)

Posts 141 to 159 of 159

CJD87

The masses have spoken! Wouldn't have been my personal pick, but objectively I can speak to this game being a deserving winner.

Now we just need Sony to start capitalising on their Bluepoint acquisition... and put BP to task on another FromSoft remake..

CJD87

Ronimaster

Damn, this is sad af, I played Bloodborne and I think it's nowhere near being best at something or being the best videogame of all time. I also thought it was boring and frustrating. Never thought it would beat a masterpiece like Final Fantasy VII...

Ronimaster

Th3solution

somnambulance wrote:

Thank you so much for putting this together. Even if I think the winner is a really weird community choice for “best game of all time,”…

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/best-video-games-all-time

I made a post with this link a couple weeks ago when the finalists were announced and so apologies for repeating, but I found it interesting that a similar poll was recently done by GQ — I know… not usually the place to go for bonafide video game information, but this was a poll of 300 video game industry veterans (game developers, directors, writers, streamers, etc) and they actually ended up with Bloodborne at #4 on their final top 100 list.

Of interest, here’s their top 5:
1) Breath of the Wild
2) The Last of Us
3) Tetris
4) Bloodborne
5) Witcher 3

Factoring in the community here is PlayStation-centric, then it makes sense that Bloodborne got a small bump.

I know there are a lot of these kinds of polls done but I actually think the end result of our community’s collective thoughts is remarkably sensible.

…except for the fact that Shadow of the Colossus was definitely robbed. 😜

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

somnambulance

@Th3solution The fascination with Bloodborne is definitely an odd thing to me. I couldn’t get into it at release, couldn’t get into it after the Elden Ring craze hit and I was jonesing for more FromSoft after finishing it. Up until Elden Ring, I didn’t understand the cult of FromSoft at all, honestly. Love Elden Ring, but it’s the only Soulslike I’ve really loved and completed and I think that’s due to it being an open sandbox. But what do I know? Death Stranding is my favorite game of all time and Nour will probably make my year end list. Lol.

I do agree that SotC was robbed, as well. And Ico and The Last Guardian. Remarkable series of games.

somnambulance

Kidfried

@Th3solution Yea. I like that GQ list as kind of a modern canon. It's not too far removed from our top 100, if (like you said) you bump the PlayStation games a bit.
It's nice that both of our list have Tetris pretty highly ranked. As it should be.

I really like our Top 128 by the way. I think that list of games as a whole is more important to me than the winner of this whole endeavor.

Kidfried

KAIRU

Look at everyone throwing out a little ego boost. How nice.

"A corpse... should be left well alone. Oh, I know very well. How the secrets beckon so sweetly. Only an honest death will cure you now. Liberate you, from your wild curiosity." - Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower.

PSN: KairuDoes

Th3solution

@somnambulance I feel similarly about Witcher 3, in that I just couldn’t get into it, despite adoring many open world Witcher clones over the years. Sometimes it’s all about timing. It wouldn’t make my top 50, but Death Stranding definitely would! Love that game.

But yeah, I’ve always said Shadow of the Colossus is my personal GOAT, and I continue to feel that way, and yet completely understand that for a few people they just won’t click with it.

And incidentally, as much as I really love Bloodborne (it would make my personal top 20, maybe top 10) it took me a while to get into it. There was several hours of anguish before it became enjoyable. Once I got past Father Gascoigne, it really got its teeth into me.
That said, I voted for FF7. It’s a game that is heavily responsible for me being here today.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Kidfried There’s some interesting discrepancies, like Breath of the Wild and Disco Elysium, but there’s a lot of common ground between us and the “experts.”

And I agree that our top 128 is a fantastic “who’s who” of video games.

somnambulance

@Th3solution It took me years of goading from friends and four tries to get past the second hour or so of Witcher 3, so I understand. However, once I got over the hurdle… yeah, it was still rough. I had a friend playing through it on Switch that encouraged me to continue playing though. I think it was when I hit the end of the Bloody Baron quest line that I finally “got it,” you know? From there on, I got more sucked into the game. Despite the clunky combat, it’s one of the more enjoyable games I’ve played. I go back and forth on whether or not I’d consider it a 10/10 game, in fact. For me, I suppose Witcher was all in the timing. 2020 was perhaps one of my favorite years in gaming for the simple fact that I had the time to play things like the Witcher, Fire Emblem, and Dragon Quest at a leisurely pace in my adult life when I probably wouldn’t have (and in the Witcher’s case certainly didn’t previously).

Ah, I think Shadow of the Colossus would be a contender for my personal top 20. I loved the game when it came out. Ico and Shadow were so unique in those days, predecessors to BotW even. Hopefully that studio has something cooking these days.

It’s interesting that sometimes a game takes its time to sink into us. Even Death Stranding took time to hook into me. I even dropped it momentarily to play Pokémon Sword. I mean, the heresy of dropping a Kojima title for the worst mainline Pokémon game, am I right? But again, timing is key to even the 10/10s. Death Stranding was a tonic after my grandfather passed, a year before Red Dead Redemption 2 kept me sane when I had broken my foot, and a year after Final Fantasy 7 and 15 (which I had put off for years due to all the negative criticisms at launch… and my weakness in believing them) gave me faith and comfort in the bleakness of the pandemic. And, despite these stories, Cuphead, of all things is perhaps the game i tie most deeply with personal feelings and gameplay, after the troubled birth of my first child. Gaming is so powerful and so interwoven in our lives (is it obvious that I was destined to be a fan of the strand style of gaming?). I like that we mirror the experts. In our own ways, I think many of us on this site see things similarly to them.

somnambulance

LetsPatchItOut

The list is what matters as @Kidfried says. Notwithstanding, Bloodborne excels at that magic of falling down the proverbial rabbit hole and end up with twists you never expected.

The music, animations and level design elevate to places no other game could go.

Is it GOAT? Yes, just hearing it mentioned makes me want to play it.

Thanks for the massive effort put into this thread!

LetsPatchItOut

PSN: NullReferenced

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Th3solution We don’t really have a top 10, but based on ranking & number of votes I guess ours would be:

1. Bloodborne
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. The Last of Us
4. Metal Gear Solid 3
5. The Witcher 3
6. Red Dead Redemption 2
7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
8. Shadow of the Colossus

That’s a pretty solid list.
Also poor Horizon ZD 😂.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Gremio108

I absolutely love Bloodborne but I thought it would be too divisive to walk away with a title like this. @Kidfried mentioned the developers of Witcher 3 and Mass Effect seeing a reputation slump. Maybe the reverse has happened with FromSoft in the wake of Elden Ring?

Bloodborne is one of my favourite From games and a worthy winner in my eyes. All I'd say to anyone who struggled with it is go back with a completely new character and pile your points into something else. For example, if you tried magic, go all-out strength instead. I crawled through Demon's Souls and bounced off Dark Souls for years because I thought I was supposed to spread points evenly across stats. Don't be afraid to use a guide either if need be. It's a completely different experience when you hit upon the right build.

Thanks @Kidfried for the all the good times and the pokes

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Th3solution

@somnambulance I really enjoy hearing people’s experiences like that. Genuine thanks for sharing.

I can totally relate to some of your post, too. At the end of the day, games are art. And art can hit each of us different and even be a different experience for the same person depending on what we’re going through individually at the time.

gbanas92

Incredible job @kidfried !!! Happy to have contributed, and glad you were able to pull this off! A herculean undertaking! Tons of fun too!

If at first you don't succeed, just lower the difficulty! Or just try again!

PSN: gbanas92 | Twitter:

RogerRoger

Belated (but no less heartfelt) congratulations to @Kidfried for running one heck of a megapoll.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

IdkAkaIdk

@Roninmaster?? Final Fantasy VII literally won, ain't that what the first pic of this thread says? Final Fantasy VII is much better anyways even if there was more people voting Bloodborne that i missed
Edit: i see on the previous page that the ***** did indeed happen, i'm personally more cringed out than heartbroken, this shouldn't even be close. Bloodborne is a dope game but nowhere near the sauce of Final Fantasy VII.

Edited on by IdkAkaIdk

IdkAkaIdk

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic