Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 3,301 to 3,320 of 4,504

JohnnyShoulder

@PegasusActual93 @nessisonett There are certain things I can't watch, like a needle piercing the skin, spiders and real life operations I have look away. But everything else I can handle. Maybe it is because when my elder brother and sister babysat me we used to watch scary movies.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

PegasusActual93

@JohnnyShoulder
You can watch a decapitation or somebody being ripped in two but a needle piercing the skin is where you draw the line?

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

nessisonett

@PegasusActual93 Everyone has their own fears! Anything goes near the eyes then I’m out the room 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@PegasusActual93 Pretty much! 😂

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

BearsEatBeets

This kind of also ties into the Film and Star Wars threads but as it's ultimately a TV show so I'll pop this here. I've been watching the documentary series on Disney+ about ILM. I've got one episode left to watch, and despite knowing a rough idea of a lot of what it covers, I've still found it enjoyable and informative. George Lucas truly was a pioneer in special effects and digital film-making. I'd say it's worth a watch if your in to any of that sort of stuff.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

LN78

@BearsEatBeets Is it a complete puff piece or does it go into how ILM pioneers like John Dykstra got screwed over by Lucas in the early days?

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@LN78 That is covered in the show and both are interviewed but I feel they didn't dig too deep into specifics. It is very much about the people who founded it though. I think it was the third episode that covers George moving the studio to San Fran and cherry picking who he wanted to take with him.

BearsEatBeets

LN78

@BearsEatBeets Interesting. I've got one of those massive coffee table books called "The Cinema of George Lucas" (or something similar) that's a ridiculous hagiography - according to that version, Lucas pretty much made "Star Wars" (including all the models and motion control gizmos) single handedly. It has some lovely behind the scenes photos in it, though.

LN78

BearsEatBeets

@LN78 Whilst the series starts with George and does establish his role in founding the company and having the foresight about where the future of the industry was heading it is very much about the experts he finds to be able to do the things he wants to do but doesn't know how. People like Ken Ralston, Richard Edlund, Dennis Muren, Joe Johnston, Phil Tippett and of course John Dykstra feature more prominantly than Lucas himself (except for probably the first episode).

BearsEatBeets

RR529

Two shows:

One: Finished off the final season of the Man in the High Castle last night. Really gripping show all the way through IMO, though they definitely make a few bold decisions, especially in that final season that I could see being off putting to mainstream audiences (even a bit disappointing to me).

Really disappointed that when the opportunity finally presented itself in the last episode, that the resistance declined to fly the US flag due to equating the history of American racism to Nazism, and wanted to start fresh. There's certainly discussion to be had there, but I'd rather them ultimately decide to see what the US could be, rather than what it was, and fly the flag.

Other general thoughts are that I'm shocked that they suddenly killed off Joe Blake in the first half of season 3 (he was certainly going down a dark path, but was essentially the co-protagonist with Juliana until then, so it came as a surprise. I was for sure he'd return as a variant at some point, but that never materialized).

Also surprised that Childan made it all the way to the end, and even insinuated that things were finally going to go right for him. Definitely a bit self serving, but he ultimately tried so hard just to fit in, so I was kinda happy for him. Totally had him marked to die/be written off during season one, so was surprised he made it to the end.

Really interesting show, & I'd definitely be interested in seeing spinoffs focusing on other parts of the world (which we didn't really see outside of a few Berlin trips), even if they didn't have the unique hook of the dual Imperial Japanese/Nazi Germany rule.

Two: Also binged through all the I am Groot shorts last night, and they were pretty cute with quite a few humorous moments. Some of the shots looked kinda wonky, but there were quite a few beautifully realized moments as well.

My only big gripe is that there weren't more of them! Hopefully it's a huge success & they make more.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

PegasusActual93

@RR529
It was very clear that Man in the High Castle was intended to be 5 seasons but because the show was so damn expensive Amazon forced them to wrap it up so the final season felt really rushed as they had to cram two seasons of plot into one and it shows. Besides that i am still confused by the ending even if I kind of pieced it all together. I also wished we saw more of the world in this setting as there was some serious missed potential there. What does this version of Japan look like, how about the Slavic countries or Africa? Instead you get America, Berlin and one scene in Havana and that's about it. Kind of disappointing.

Edited on by PegasusActual93

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

LtSarge

Finished watching season 2 of The Expanse last night. It was a great season! The first one was good but the second one was definitely better. The first several episodes felt like its own season considering a "finale"-worthy episode happened early on but the show kept going for half a dozen more episodes. The different groups of people and the tensions between Mars and Earth made things way more interesting than season one.

I've watched the first episode of season 3 now and the season is starting out great. I'm very excited to continue watching this show.

LtSarge

PegasusActual93

@LtSarge
The Expanse was consistently good throughout it's entirety, I just felt the last season was a bit rushed and there is a couple plot threads that are just completely abandoned and never resolved that still bothers me. I of course won't go into specifics though.

LN78

Did anybody catch the "Better Call Saul" finale? I thought it was sort of beautiful.

LN78

RogerRoger

Finally got around to braving 24: Legacy and ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would. After a ropey start, it settled for serving up a bunch of "greatest hits" scenarios and set pieces, at which point it got comfortable enough to allow its characters to start shining through. There was good groundwork being laid for future seasons but alas, it wasn't meant to be. Production and budget corners were clearly cut in a couple of crucial places, as well, which is always a shame to notice.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

MightyDemon82

Binged all of Umbrella Academy season 3 over the weekend. Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the comic returning, fingers crossed it lands before the 4th season of the show. Both are great but the comic wins as you just can't translate awesome art like that to live action and it's far more colourful in comic form. All the cast are great in it and the soundtrack is excellent throughout!

MightyDemon82

CJD87

@LN78 Yes, Vince Gilligan manages to successfully stick another landing!

Will be interesting to see how BCS performs at the Emmy awards next month. I think Rhea Seehorn has been remarkably good this season as Kim, and well-deserving of her Emmy nomination. Will be tough competition from the Succession gang though, who I expect will scoop the majority of wins

CJD87

HallowMoonshadow

I finally caught up with Stranger Things.

... As in I finally watched past Season 1 😅

In fact I've actually watched Season 1 3 times over the years before finally getting around to binging season 2, 3 & 4 for the first time over the past few days.

... My feelings at the moment are honestly quite mixed om the following seasons, especially with season 4 with all the reveals and retcons that have come with it.

I'm not too fond of Vecna in execution either if I'm being honest and changing what was lovecraftian horror like elements and now giving the show some human(ish) villain with a motive and such. They've peeled back the curtain and unveiled the mystery... and I liked the mystery. It didn't have to be explained of what the Demigorgon and Mind Flayer were beyond being horrors from the Upside Down.

So I think season 1 is still the best season myself. Especially where all the sub plots seemed to feed into each other nicely and it felt rather focused with none of the show being wasted so to speak unlike say season 4 which honestly feels like a bit of a mess with both the Russia & Cross Country road trip storylines not really adding anything at all baring Will's veiled confession to Mike which was a beautiful scene and some great acting from Noah Schnapp

... I have enjoyed it mind you, I think it helps most of the cast put in good performances regardless of what they're doing. Or not.

Oh and I love Robin introduced in Season 3 and Eddie was a great addition for Season 4 too!

And yes... I did enjoy Master Of Puppets being belted out to distract the demobats

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

XandertheWise

Dunno why but Im binge watching Seasons 1 and 2 of Z Nation. Funny show when it was on the Sy Fy Channel a few years ago.

that and watching the rest of the last half of season 10 of Walking Dead and trying to watch Umbrella Academy but that show is a little boring

XandertheWise

LtSarge

Finished watching season 3 of The Expanse. Great season! Although I didn't like it as much as the second one. I think it's cool though how each half of a season is a different story. It makes the pacing better instead of having one dragged out story across 13 episodes.

I'm excited to see what's going to happen in season 4.

LtSarge

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic